SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Not editing posted articles.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not editing posted articles. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
If we’re going to post an article from another source, why is it so difficult to put it in something like a Word document to check its readability and take a few minutes to clean it up?

When first pasted, many articles copied from Internet sources contain extraneous references to advertisements or continually repeat things like headers that appear in the middle of the rest of the text. Things that can be readily ignored when reading the original makes reading a pasted article more difficult.

When someone posts something on a forum like this, it’s presumably because the topic starter thinks the rest of us should, or would like to read it. Countless times, however, I’ve given up on reading something because of unnecessary repetition and clutter that’s not only distracting, but very often confusing and hard to get through.

I appreciate what I learn here, but if you’re going to take the time to find it, read it, copy it, and then post it here, please also take a few minutes to edit out the repetitious and unrelated stuff that adds nothing to the article.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I never post "+1" but this one deserves it. Thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I agree, yet I suspect most posters are using their cell phones and don't have the interest, time, or capability to do such editing.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
This is one that I definitely agree with.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
I agree, yet I suspect most posters are using their cell phones and don't have the interest, time, or capability to do such editing.

I absolutely HATE trying to surf on my phone. Can't see shit to start with, and damn near impossible to post anything without multiple attempts to correct fat-finger mistakes.

As for editing copy-and-paste posts - Yes, please, but it's not that big of a deal for me after I figured out what was going on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I edit out the crap even when posting from my iPhone. It takes an extra minute to copy & paste with discernment, and it takes an extra minute to re-read after posting.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand what you are ranting about ,
but Am I guilty of whats pissing you off?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Quite possible. May I submit that if they "don't have the interest, time, or capability," maybe it is not really that important to post a quoted article?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I don't understand what you are ranting about
Here is a screen capture from an article recently cut & pasted:

The text in the unrelated advertisement video, "The $80 billion fitness industry sees hug growth in this demographic" was copied into the post. Several people posted about the odd out of place text, and the root cause of the weird, out of place sentence turned out to be exactly what the OP in this thread is complaining about.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I agree with this thread so much!

It is about respect for your audience; in this case your fellow readers.

- Provide a link
- Add some text as to what the link is about
- Crop your photos
- View your post after you ‘post’ to verify it is formatted correctly and is readable.

So frustrating when guys post something and it is obvious they never went back and checked the thread for formatting. Especially pics and videos.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I try my best to reread and proof my posts, yet it still amazes me when I come back a week later and read one and find a small typo. Sometimes I read what I think I mean and miss the obvious. I do use some punctuation "wrong" on purpose, such as placing apostrophes to indicate a plural when I think it makes it more readable. It may be wrong, but that's just the way I'll do it.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I wholeheartedly agree and always clean up the extra nonsense and links from anything I post.

Pale Horse (pictured above) agrees with OP

“It’s easy to do” says one member

It’s easy to do and makes the article much easier to read and follow.

Stock prices jump after Trumps latest tweet

But as annoying as it is I prefer an unedited copy and paste over just a link that I have to follow.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
does not pertain to my posts,
whew!

thanks for taking the time

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I try my best to reread and proof my posts, yet it still amazes me when I come back a week later and read one and find a small typo. Sometimes I read what I think I mean and miss the obvious. I do use some punctuation "wrong" on purpose, such as placing apostrophes to indicate a plural when I think it makes it more readable. It may be wrong, but that's just the way I'll do it.

I remember when I had someone proofread my letters and papers. There are many times when you miss your own errors. Sadly, the online media frequently uses voice dictation and does not proof.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
does not pertain to my posts, whew!
Nah, you're cool, bro'

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I would add that it is difficult to read when posted, and the text comes out as one larger block ,
no breaks,
no paragraphs,
all of it like one big long sentence, that repeats itself,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I would add one thing. If the article is long, pick out a paragraph or two that illustrates ‘why’ the article was referenced to begin with. Provide a link and we’ll decide if the entire thing is worth reading.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
I would add that it is difficult to read when posted, and the text comes out as one larger block ,
no breaks,
no paragraphs,
all of it like one big long sentence, that repeats itself,

It's also difficult when someone posts in a format like you just did.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's also difficult when someone posts in a format like you just did.

This sort of thing depends upon visual attention and how you read. I can read in all caps just fine and without paragraphs. Others have trouble. It has to do with the way your brain processes visual information. We are all different in that respect. I read for several hours per day and have to skim pages of documents on occasion looking for pertinent information. It becomes more difficult for me when I have to read every word for comprehension.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I fear you are trying to motivate the lazy. Frown

EasyFire

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post