SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Upsetting to me thread on another forum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Upsetting to me thread on another forum Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I posted a plea for understanding on a new motorcycle issue -- overheating and a check engine light. Regardless of my lack of information clarity, which I attempted to rectify with post edits and follow-ups, some felt compelled to tell me that I had transgressed. Ad hominem attack, I think, would be the way to describe the posts. In one example, a fellow posted words to the effect of 'you made a mess of this thread, and now we can't use this thread in our ongoing search for similar problems and solutions.' Five other people gave a thumbs up to the fellow's post, suggesting that at least six forum members agreed with his assessment. Later I am told that I need to chill, relax, that no one is attacking me. Anyone who tells another to relax, to chill, is again, unwilling to consider why a person might not be chill and in that directive, again being offensive.

I tell you what, I was not happy. The feelings aroused by perfect strangers complaining about my inadequate thread format, information, logic, edits, etc. were unusually strong. I think you might even say I was angry. Needless to say I did not check my blood pressure then.

I think the entire situation has been resolved, but that forum and its members no longer have the same value to me. I intend to solely peruse the classifieds to minimize my costs for the gear, parts, and accessories.

Needless to say, I've never felt this way on SF.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Big part of it is the pandemic. People are weak, can’t handle things, so their anger at consumerism and convenience being slowed is coming through in various ways. Online, 100%. Driving, just take a drive and see the asshatery. Online, when others see a way to pounce, and dive bomb an open wound, there is a line.

I wouldn’t let it get to you too much. People are happy to shit on anyone right now.

You’re all good here.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:...

You’re all good here.

Yeah! What Bill Burr said about dem guys over dere!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Only six? You need to try harder!

Seriously, fuck em. Some people can't help but criticize.

That's the great thing here in Para's house; the crap you are dealing with isn't commonplace here. I've only ever noticed genuine concern and offers of help from our membership when asked for help.

Sure, there's good natured ribbing and even disagreement between members as to what the BEST approach to a solution may be but attacking a person who's looking for help?

Never.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
People aren't as polite on a keyboard as they are FTF. I get on a cigar forum (even tho I had to give them up) and there are snarky assholes on there that would get there ass kicked if they were behaving the same way at a lounge. You don't have to agree on subjects but you need to be civil.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5680 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
There's no shortage of assholes...anywhere.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Thank You Para, for Sigforum and the way it is run, I don't post much, look at my count in 20 years here, but this and occasionally the S&W forum when I have a question for an armorer on a revolver; are my only two forums. I had been on other places and they don't come close to Sigforum, no need to look elsewhere.

Spunk

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whenever I get down I just look through the cat picture thread again.

Posts: 6608 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The other forum members have since responded positively to my presence and I believe they understand more how posts can bring about feelings. All is well.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post