SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stye under my left eyelid.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stye under my left eyelid. Login/Join 
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted
I'm seriously about to start cutting until this annoyance is gone. I get these about every 2-3 years.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
I get these about every 2-3 years.
You probably already know this, but hold a warm compress (e.g. wash cloth) up against the eyelid and follow by washing the eyelid with Johnson's baby shampoo.

I get styes about every decade, and I got my last one the day before LASIK surgery. The opthalmologist obviously didn't perform the LASIK, but I was surprised when he recommended the warm compress followed by Johnson's baby shampoo.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23099 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the infecting agent was, but when I lived in California's Central Valley I got frequent styes and boils (they are related). One boil on my leg got ~4 inches across Eek and also came back in the same spot some time later. I moved away, to the Mojave Desert region, and have not had another one since, including my almost 10 years in the South. Weird.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Like tatortodd said. I used to get ‘em too, mainly on my upper eyelids. The last one, ten years ago, required surgery. My ophthalmologist advised the tatortodd method. I now practice a slight variation.

I dip a washcloth, folded to four thicknesses, in hot water, then hold it against my eyelids for a few seconds. Repeat several times. Then several more times with a single thickness of washcloth, massaging my eyelids through it with my three middle fingers. I don’t use the baby shampoo any longer.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I've had success using a hot tea bag.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Home surgery is not recommended. Using warm compresses is the way to go.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
As a child, IIRC my mother would boil water and mix in boric acid. Does this sound familiar, or am I wrong on the boric acid?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
Found this, there are more examples of using this if you google the subject.

HomeConditionsNatural Treatment for Stye
Natural Treatment for Stye
Conditions October 25, 2012

Styes occurs when a sebaceous gland around the eyelid gets infected that at the beginning looks like a small red swallow that grows bigger and it usually lasts up to one week.

If one week has passed and the stye around your eye is still there, then you probably have chalazion, an infection of a more profound sebaceous gland and this can last up to 2-3 weeks.
Boric Acid, the Natural Treatment for Stye
Still, no need to worry since we have found for you a natural treatment for stye that has worked for so many until today. This is an old classic remedy for stye which implies buffering the sties with a cotton pad smeared in a solution made of boric acid dissolved in warm water.
For those who didn’t know until now, boric acid is a very powerful antiseptic and can be found under the form of white powder. Also, as an alternative you can also use ophthalmic ointments based on kanamycin or neomycin which are both broad spectrum antibiotics that help you heal from sties and prevent relapses.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Sock Eating Golden:
I get these about every 2-3 years.
You probably already know this, but hold a warm compress (e.g. wash cloth) up against the eyelid and follow by washing the eyelid with Johnson's baby shampoo.

I get styes about every decade, and I got my last one the day before LASIK surgery. The opthalmologist obviously didn't perform the LASIK, but I was surprised when he recommended the warm compress followed by Johnson's baby shampoo.

I get them occasionally, and this is what my optometrist recommended minus the baby shampoo.

I usually get them on an upper lid. The sensation of the warm compress is wonderful.

This works well for any abscessed infection, by the way. I used to get frequent staph infections, and I would do this because it felt so wonderful, and it helped with the process of getting the damned things to pop so that we could get on with the healing.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since switching to Retaine eye drops, have not had any more. Could be coincidence. Spent couple thousand going to the eye doc

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful. I still have nightmares over "Dead Man's Eyes," starring Lon Chaney, Jr. I was diagnosed with bliferitis (yeah, its a real thing.) Treatment was gentle scrubbing of the eyelid margins with warm water and baby shampoo several times daily. Prevention consists of a gentle scrub twice daily, but you can ease up on the shampoo. If not better in 10 days, laser surgery is available. PM me (email in profile) if you want the name of a good doctor for the laser stuff. I believe we're in the same general locale.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Got them a lot. Finally went to a doc and he recommended hot compress for ten minute, Systane eyelid wipes, and fish oil for Omega 3. couldn't keep wash rags warm enough for ten minutes so I cut a small red potato in half and microwaved it for a few seconds and it would stay warm. Substituted baby shampoo the wipes. Didn't have any for a couple of years. Last year one started to form again. Wife sewed a little pillow filled with rice that I could microwave and use as a reusable compress. Works great and the stye didn't get bigger.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post