SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So my wife is giving me some guff, over my plan to meet my daughters prospective beau's
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my wife is giving me some guff, over my plan to meet my daughters prospective beau's Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It will be a few hours 3 or so a few mornings in a row. My son and I will continue the work after he leaves. My daughter will return before we finish and get the repairs done.

My Daughter is getting at the age were boy's interest is more serious. We cooked up a plan to see if the interest is genuine after the last boyfriend over a year ago. This is a local country boy, who offered to meet me, and help me. So in that manor, I am simply taking him up on the offer.

My daughter told him I would need to meet him, and that a great time to do it would be while cleaning the coop. She took pics, she told him the size and scope of the job.

He called me to make the offer. So yeah, that is a big plus in his favor.

As for compensation, I will drop him some money for the date with CJ after the fact. I want to see the worth of the boy when he is helping someone, not when he is being paid by someone. That may come later.

My wife is pretty much on board with this, she was just flabbergasted I came said as much to the guy when he called. She was a bit more surprised to learn my daughter and I cooked up this scheme over a year ago.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I think it's great.

There was a boy who came calling, he didn't make a point to introduce himself to me and he had a little man bun. He didn't last long

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
It will be a few hours 3 or so a few mornings in a row...

We cooked up a plan to see if the interest is genuine after the last boyfriend over a year ago.

So you are expecting a minimum of 9 hrs of free manual labor out of it? Confused
This isn't a boyfriend test; it's a husband test. She wants to see if he's marriage material. If he passes, don't be surprised if they are married within 12 months.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good plan to me. It's a good chance to test the young man's worth. If he will shovel chickenshit for no money, just to date your girl, he might be ok.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see $20.00 per hour X 6 hours of mucking feces, + $60.00 for a nice meal ( including the tip) with the girl.

and he's agreeable?
I guess no downside.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Please keep us updated as to the actual outcome of this event. if he can complete the task then he might be a keeper. ...................drill sgt.

Posts: 2005 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
She better be outrageously hot, or he's just dumb.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
She better be outrageously hot, or he's just dumb.

</me looks at 46and2...> Srsly?

Maybe he just really likes her for who she is?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
When I first visited my girlfriends house on an out of state visit I ended up on my back scraping the rust off a steel pontoon boat.

I don't think your plan is bad but it does seem like a few days is alot.

Been married to that girl for 44 years this June. And I own an aluminum pontoon boat!

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My spouse of 35 years grew up farming ,
I was wondering her opinion,
She wants to know what is expected of the females that want to date your son?
Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54624 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That they join my wife in a month of roller derby training.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
When I first visited my girlfriends house on an out of state visit I ended up on my back scraping the rust off a steel pontoon boat.

I don't think your plan is bad but it does seem like a few days is alot.

Been married to that girl for 44 years this June. And I own an aluminum pontoon boat!

Beating the heat and humidity of the day. It could be done in 1 day, it would be miserable. I am breaking it up into 3 days.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I would have to be pretty invested to shovel shit for 9 hours. I was already working full time in high school, so 9 hours would of Been all of my free time. That’s like we are in a relationship not just going on the first date.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Your daughter is only seventeen. You should hope that nobody is serious enough about your daughter to shovel that shed for you.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It could backfire on her...

I started dating a girl and after a few weeks she wanted to have me hang out with her dad while he did some work on his cars and farm equipment. The girl and I were pretty different people, the dad and I actually got along well and he told her it would never last, I wasn't her type. She was pretty upset, but he was right.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I can't help but wonder what you would have done when you were his age and your future father-in-law and wife gave you that test.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
At 17, I wouldn't have given that kind of request two thoughts, I'd have gladly accepted the chance.

Under Construction

Posts: 362 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I can't help but wonder what you would have done when you were his age and your future father-in-law and wife gave you that test.

yes, I did, Not a chicken coop, other stuff. Fuck I am doing it again on Wednesday. Married 23 years. No I don't think cleaning this out is a serious thing. It isn't hard work. It is just work. It will give me the measure of the guy.

Folks now a days are so work adverse. Work is, just work. It all sucks, shoveling shit isn't much worse than shoveling paper in an office. Both have chickens, cocks, and henpeckers. Just get out, get started and move forward.

I have been gone from the property for the last two summers, We stopped raising chickens back then. So this is dried, aged fertilizer. It is time to muck it out, sanitize it for the few birds we are going to get. I am not going back to raising 150 birds 3 times a year. 10-12 will suit us just fine.

For all those wondering about my daughter, her first job was at the gunstore. Her second was at Subway. She just finished her highschool CNA class, and will take her test for the CNA shortly. Since covid, she has been back at the gunstore.

She's a smart girl, thinking 20 steps ahead. She set this in motion. It will be good for her and him to know that I care enough to take the time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
It could backfire on her...

I started dating a girl and after a few weeks she wanted to have me hang out with her dad while he did some work on his cars and farm equipment. The girl and I were pretty different people, the dad and I actually got along well and he told her it would never last, I wasn't her type. She was pretty upset, but he was right.

Very much what my daughter is thinking. Like her mother, she holds her cards very close to her chest. He is a thinker and a planner. It would not surprise me if that plays a part in her choice for this.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am with your wife and Bendable.

One: You have to trust your daughter. You raised her, she's going to pick guys that line up with your raising of her. You can gently keep your eye on a 17 year old, but they are damn near grown.

Two: It is not fair to the boy. He has to work to "earn" the chance to date your daughter? No, that isn't how it works.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post