SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    So my wife is giving me some guff, over my plan to meet my daughters prospective beau's
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my wife is giving me some guff, over my plan to meet my daughters prospective beau's Login/Join 
posted
My daughter is 17, and has done a bit of this teenage dating. The last one kind of left her with wanting a way to weed them out. So a little over a year ago we decided on a plan.

So, if she was interested in a dude, she would tell him I need help doing something. If the guy helped he was actually interested. He would give me a hand for a few days. The chore my daughter and I agreed on is cleaning out the coop.

Our coop if you remember is 800sqft. It is also 1ft deep of chickenshit build up. So we are going to dig it up, do some prep and repairs to it.

My daughter is out of town, her perspective beau signed on to help till the work is done.

My wife thinks this is Darth Vader level stuff.

My daughter and I dreamt this up a year or more ago.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I think that's a little chickenshit on your part Wink

Just kidding.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3476 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great plan. In my experience, bonding over shared manual labor is an excellent way to get to know someone.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I think that's a little chickenshit on your part Wink

Just kidding.

Oh, I will admit more than a little. Last time we emptied it we filled up our 7x14x2 trailer 3 times.

Digging it all out, and tossing it into the trailer. Then using the trailer to dump it into a pile.

So, yeah, I am going to get my use out of the help.

Now to be fair, this is a plan my daughter cooked up with me a year back. I never really thought she would make use of it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Save the footage, it'll come in handy in 2050 for the first episode in the hit reality show: "Why My Daughter is a Spinster..." Wink

Posts: 15026 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great plan...I don't see why anyone would object to that. Gotta see if he can stick it out and finish a job. I did plenty of stuff like that with my FIL before (and after) my wife and I got married.

Posts: 8559 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If he cleans a nasty chicken barn to date your daughter you better start saving for the wedding. That stink stays with you.

If someone has never been deep in chicken shit or smelled someone who has been, you just don’t know.

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
The chore my daughter and I agreed on is cleaning out the coop.

If you work together, fine plan... especially if daughter helps.

If you point him at the coop and walk away, less so.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
It isn't an 'end all- be all' %100 vetting plan, but it certainly is a good indicator of character and motivation...good plan, I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I think it's a great plan. In my experience, bonding over shared manual labor is an excellent way to get to know someone.

Lot of truth right here. %100 agree. I think one of the best gifts we can give to young people is to teach them how to do difficult manual labor jobs.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
It isn't an 'end all- be all' %100 vetting plan, but it certainly is a good indicator of character and motivation...good plan, I like it.

(snip) I think one of the best gifts we can give to young people is to teach them how to do difficult manual labor jobs.

I wouldn't call shoveling shit difficult exactly, smelly and obnoxious though it be, but seeing if he has the fortitude to endure such a nasty job is certainly a fine test of character and of the strength of his attachment to your daughter Big Grin

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think she come up with a good plan so she wouldn't have to clean the chicken coop any longer! Big Grin

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Your wife needs a hobby.

You and the dear daughter, have this...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I was going to comment on how hot your daughter must be but you would probably beat my ass.....

I have a good friend who is a retired Marine DI and when ever one of his 5 daughters brought a perspective bo home he would just take him off to the side and explain to him that he expected the guy to look after and protect his daughter while they were out and also to understand anything he did to his daughter he was prepared to do to him....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your daughter's on board it seems like your wife can either accept it, or pick up a shovel. It's an interesting plan, especially to have the daughter bought in.

And worst case, you get a little free labor out of it. Hard to beat.

Edited to fix a typo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DaBigBR,

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
After he does all that work I hope you throw a few bucks his way. At least enough for the two of them to go to a decent dinner.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Solid plan

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Good plan.

Do you get rats that burrow into the chicken litter?

If so, it's a great time to see if he can help shoot them as you dig them out.

It would be an afternoon of absolute fun and you might find yourself a buddy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34112 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Make him do the part around the water trough!

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Curious as to what he gets out of the deal ?

Yours is a weird thought process ,
But then again I don't have a daughter.

It kinda sounds like you want to barter for time spent w/ the young lady.

The last thing that you want to get around town is " guess what old man ____________ gives you if you mow his lawn !"

Cleaning a coop ain't bonding.

A pik Nik, bowling, a nice supper out , a pro baseball game or fishing with both families is bonding.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Have your wife come up with a plan!!! See has she has in mind.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post