SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Oh Deer...what next?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh Deer...what next? Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted
http://vid213.photobucket.com/.../011_zpszu4dzyma.mp4

Well, there were one or two last year and now there are five. The Game Department thinks you should put up a fence but what about the other neighbors?

They are eating my strawberry, blueberry and azalea plants. They even got some of the potted trees behind the house where the sonic/flashing device is located.

The City says they aren't responsible for deer problems. But what about Lyme Disease and the deer roaming around in the park area where the kids play soccer and people walk? Does anybody want to take responsibility and do their job?

What is so hard about getting the SWAT Team to shot them at night and give the meat to the soup kitchens like they do in Fairfax County.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Will they give you a nuisance bow / crossbow permit?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I have seen as many as four deer in my yard. They come up out of the woods to get the shelled corn that I put out for the squirrels, birds, racoons,...and deer. I am not aware of any damage they have caused to me or my neighbors. I actually enjoy seeing them. Shelled corn is inexpensive and apparently tasty. Afterall, they are just after food.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If I had kids, I wouldn't let them play in the park. Recent news has found that ticks are carrying a second disease, Powassan virus, that is believed to be worst then Lyme disease:

Lyme disease is bad. Lyme disease is caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi carried by ticks and can cause all kinds of serious skin, musculoskeletal, nervous system and heart problems. But POW, beware an even worse disease that you can get from tick bites...because you really just don't have enough problems in your life right now. What's the disease? POW. OK, enough with the dramatic sound effects, you say? No, POW is the disease. And it stands for Powassan (POW) virus.

If Borrelia burgdorferi is the cesspool of tickborne diseases, POW is the Deadpool, not as well-known but potentially more damaging and deadly. Lyme disease can result in debilitating symptoms such as severe headaches, neck stiffness, rashes, arthritis, an irregular heartbeat, nerve pain, brain inflammation and memory problems. But at least Lyme disease has some treatments, especially if caught early. As the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) explains, antibiotics (e.g., doxycycline, amoxicillin or cefuroxime axet) at the early stages of Lyme disease can lead to a full recovery. Even in some more advanced neurological or cardiac forms of Lyme disease, intravenous antibiotics such as ceftriaxone or penicillin can help. There's also been a Lyme disease vaccine, which unfortunately was pulled from the market due to lack of demand. And POW? No vaccine, no antibiotics, no medications, no treatment.

The POW virus can kill you or cause permanent disability. Just because you are infected with the POW virus doesn't mean you'll develop symptoms (leading to underestimations of the number of POW cases). If you do develop symptoms, they tend to occur one week to one month after the tick bite. Like Borrelia burgdorferi (which is a bit difficult to say quickly), the POW virus can go to your central nervous system and wreak havoc, causing encephalitis or meningitis, which are fancy words for inflammation of the brain or the membranes that wrap around the brain and spinal cord. You can have all kinds of neurological problems such as fever, headache, vomiting, weakness, confusion, loss of coordination, speech difficulties and seizures, as the CDC describes. POW, here's more good news. Even if you survive these horrific problems (10% of people with POW virus encephalitis die), there's a roughly 50% chance that you will have permanent nervous system problems, such as bad headaches and memory problems.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/b...n-lyme/#413719a3372b

You can't shoot any weapon in the City limits.

By the end of the year, it is possible there will be ten. It is bad enough with the squirrels and ground hogs. Confused

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Leptospira transportation devices.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Killing deer not the answer to reducing Lyme Disease, says HSPH scientist

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
They are right about the mice and that is why you need to promote foxes.

I will get a fence charger and use it around the trees at the house. They have what they call a "Pops" that is a metal container that you add apple scent and hang on the electric fence. One sniff by the deer and he is in the next county. Hopefully the others will follow. Big Grin May also work for the raccoons.

https://www.deerbusters.com/mo...bait-stations-24-pk/

I will file a damage claim for the other plants and until someone decides it is time to take responsibility. We need a Trump to clean out the local and state government people that are too lazy to do their jobs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 41,