SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Alzheimer’s wrecks another of my family
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alzheimer’s wrecks another of my family Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
This is the second aunt and 4th person in my extended family now. She was always a bit off in the head so no one realized she was showing symptoms. In the last couple weeks she’s gone from odd to full blown Alzheimer’s and needing near 24/7 care. Along with cancer this has to be the most evil disease in history. At least she had a good long run. I think she’s nearly 80.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your aunt. I think Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s are even crueler than cancer.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8853 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My sister-in-law has it and lives nearby so we see her often. It's amazing how quickly she went downhill to the point that she needs full time care. A horrible thing to witness.

I feel your pain Leemur.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear. My wife’s mom is suffering now, about time to put her in protective care. Sucks

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
It's an awful disease, even worse than cancer as far as I'm concerned. Cancer steals the rest of your life, Alzheimer's takes the part you've already lived as well. I worked with Alzheimer's patients for years, and it was horrible watching them lose their minds, and know it was happening.

I'm truly sorry you have had so many people close to you go through it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anxiety, confusion, anger.... it really sucks.

Mom is in year 6. Sorry for your family.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
You’ve had a rough go lately Leemur, I’m so sorry to hear this.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry to hear this.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pwelch001:
You’ve had a rough go lately Leemur, I’m so sorry to hear this.

Thanks but personally I’ve had a great life. These things find us all eventually. Save the prayers for the ones actually suffering, they’re the ones in greatest need.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Aunt that I mentioned in the original post got up in the middle of the night, wandered outside and fell down the stairs of the deck. She’d been staying with my cousin (her son) until arrangements could be made at a memory care facility. Broken vertebrae, ribs, skull fracture and Lord knows what else. My cousin can’t catch a break. Several years ago he found his wife lying in the floor dead of an overdose and one of his children is a mental case. If you’ve got prayers to give, he needs them. Frown

posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry. My MIL is in year 11 post-diagnosis. She's 83.

For good or bad, she had a long, slow, descent to where she is now...basically an infant. If her utterly devoted husband did not care for her 24/7 (with 7 day a week in-home assistance for about 12 hours each day), she'd stay wherever she was last left and die of dehydration or whatever claimed her life. She must sleep 16+ hours per day. And her Mom lived into her 90s with AD, but she was much more active when she was diagnosed.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My sister-in-law has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. She is only in her late 60's. She lives in Washington State with her husband, who we're pretty close to.

Since we live in Virginia, across the country, we can't be there much of the time. Anyone with some general suggestions on how we can support and help them?

Posts: 941 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear this. We had to institutionalized my mother last year because of this disease. 24x7 home health care was expensive and my mother would run off most of the health attendants. She simply could not remember why they were there in her home.

Posts: 463 | Location: suwanee, ga | Registered: January 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for what you are going through.

We have been dealing with the early stages with my Mother for the last year.

It is a cruel, cruel disease.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’m very sorry to hear about your aunt.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom passed from heart failure. My dad passed from a lung infection. Both were getting a little slow in their thinking before they passed. Alzheimer disease scared the hell out of me. Sending good thoughts your aunts way Leemur.

Posts: 7523 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Well fortunately it was quick. Damage from the fall was far worse than initially thought. She was quite frail so I’m not surprised. I’ve been asked to be a pallbearer. First time I’ve ever done this. So far 2019 has taken two friends and one family member. I’ve said it many times but it bears repeating: Plan for tomorrow but live for today. Call your loved ones if you haven’t talked in a while.