SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Millenial Parents and their spawn
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millenial Parents and their spawn Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I feel that as a kid raised in the 50's and 60's I learned from my mistakes as well as my triumphs. You went out and tried new things, you pushed the envelope until you failed, hurt yourself or wrecked something. Then you nursed your wounds, rebuilt the ruined bike or whatever.

Kids today do NONE of that.They are far too pampered and coddled.

I have a 1" long scar on my right leg. When I wear shorts I have had folks ask about it. My reply; "stabbed with a bayonet". They usually inquire "Viet Nam"?

"No, When I was ten playing War with my buddies". All of us had bayonets, helmets, field gear that our Dads brought back from WW2.

I had an Arisaka rifle, WITH bayonet with the bolt removed. Unfortunately little Eddie the kid next door had perfected his forward thrust with the Arisaka and I took one to the leg. Live and LEARN.

Absent today with most kids.

Oh man yea, is this thread dredging up some old memories..Great thread btw!

I remember once when I was still in Elementary School I got my butt fanned by Dad. He too had brought back souvenirs from Korea and the Philippines. Among them was a Japanese rifle with a foldable front bayonet. My friends and I would be acting out and tossing the rifle two hands (those things were heavy) like a spear with the bayonet extended and locked into the front lawn. We were careful to clean the exterior of the rifle and bayonet spear good, but once got nailed for messing with it and thus the butt fanning. I had always wondered about that, and years later Dad did finally disclose that what gave me away was that I didn't check the muzzle closely and he discovered a little dirt packed back into it...

Lesson learned Razz

Aaahhhhhhh..... that was probably a Type 44 Calvary Carbine!!!!!! Worth a pretty penny.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I can recall being as young as ten, driving my bike the 1/4 mile to the local VFW. I'd go in and get two, quart containers of tap beer and a half dozen cigars for my Grandfather. Then peddle home with my alcohol and tobacco! This was like 1959 to 1960. IMAGINE that today!

When I was 12 I got my first .22 rifle. After my Father was happy with my safety and awareness of what to shoot at and what to NOT shoot at. I would go out ALONE quite a bit with my box of .22 shorts. Sit along our creek at the Farm terrorizing frogs and snapping turtles as well as the occasional rat.

Today I see kids in a foot of water with three different flotation devices all wrapped around them and Mom and Dad an inch away to SAVE them. What the hell does that kid learn about anything?

Absolutely make sure your kids are safe, but I strongly believe kids have to LEARN about life. We shelter them far too much today.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
That is how I was raised (right column), add: "Just wait till your father gets home" phrase and it would cover it for me.

EGGZACTLY! There were many times I was hoping my father would not be home for a couple years.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post