SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Millenial Parents and their spawn
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Millenial Parents and their spawn Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

The column on the left is 100% spot-on dead accurate for my granddaughter-in-law. She and grandson have two boys 4 and 7 and they're living with us while waiting on their house to close.

Really, the boys are just doing what boys do, but Mom has NO control over them and won't allow Dad (and certainly not Papa and G-G) to snatch a knot in their little asses. I'm pretty sure I can hold my tongue for another 3-4 weeks, but it's going to be a close thing.

I was raised, as were my kids, nearly 100% by the right column.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
That is how I was raised (right column), add: "Just wait till your father gets home" phrase and it would cover it for me.

Posts: 1295 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Sooooo true. I can hear my mother 60 years ago.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My upbringing:
Until we were in our early teens, my brother and I sported close crew cuts. During dinner, if proper manners and etiquette were not on display, my Father would pick up a heavy butter knife by the blade and proceed to bounce the handle off our skulls.
A crew cut offered no resistance to this style of positive parenting.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Yep. My Dad had about a very short fuse when we misbehaved before he got out a wooden paddle or his belt.

As a dad, I tried to be a little more "progressive", but each of my kids - including my daughter - got the belt more than once.

But none of my kids ever spank their children, no matter what they do. And as these kids get older, their parents are reaping the reward. My oldest grandson (6-years-old) can be an absolute terror because he knows there is no consequence for his bad behavior. Frown

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
...Lord, where to start. Walked to school, Elementary, Junior High, and Senior High until I was able to save to purchase my first car in my last year of Senior High, working as a bagboy and stock clerk at a Grocery store a few blocks from home. Had many, many, whooping's from both Mom and Dad...plus a couple from Mrs Brown my Elementary School Principal with a wood paddle with holes drilled in it, a custom shopper build no doubt! Dad was a Sargent in the Paratroopers and treated me with respect but a strict disciplinary approach. I got "rapped" with those knuckles on the back of my head frequently.

In retrospect, I deservedly received the attentions I got, I was quite a handful but in part, thankful that my folks loved me with tuff love. I turned out strong willed with a good heart and a lot of respect and reverence for God, life, animals, and good people.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
The thick oak yardstick that was polished to a mirror shine across my ass for years is still in the utility closet at my Mom’s house. I still flinch when I see it. Disturbingly enough, I wasn’t given the stick nearly as much as I deserved. I ruined Pavlov’s work. Eek

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, Mom used those damn hard plastic hairbrushes a couple o'times, man those things brought me to tears quick Wink

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It always gets easier each generation.
My grand parents walked 10 miles in the snow barefoot to school.
My parents walked 5 miles in all weather conditions.
I rode my bike 2 miles in everything except rain or heavy snow.
Our kids now get chauffeured everyday rain or shine both ways and play video games in the back seat on their mobile gaming system. Eek

Posts: 22908 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I feel that as a kid raised in the 50's and 60's I learned from my mistakes as well as my triumphs. You went out and tried new things, you pushed the envelope until you failed, hurt yourself or wrecked something. Then you nursed your wounds, rebuilt the ruined bike or whatever.

Kids today do NONE of that.They are far too pampered and coddled.

I have a 1" long scar on my right leg. When I wear shorts I have had folks ask about it. My reply; "stabbed with a bayonet". They usually inquire "Viet Nam"?

"No, When I was ten playing War with my buddies". All of us had bayonets, helmets, field gear that our Dads brought back from WW2.

I had an Arisaka rifle, WITH bayonet with the bolt removed. Unfortunately little Eddie the kid next door had perfected his forward thrust with the Arisaka and I took one to the leg. Live and LEARN.

Absent today with most kids.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I feel that as a kid raised in the 50's and 60's I learned from my mistakes as well as my triumphs. You went out and tried new things, you pushed the envelope until you failed, hurt yourself or wrecked something. Then you nursed your wounds, rebuilt the ruined bike or whatever.

Kids today do NONE of that.They are far too pampered and coddled.

I have a 1" long scar on my right leg. When I wear shorts I have had folks ask about it. My reply; "stabbed with a bayonet". They usually inquire "Viet Nam"?

"No, When I was ten playing War with my buddies". All of us had bayonets, helmets, field gear that our Dads brought back from WW2.

I had an Arisaka rifle, WITH bayonet with the bolt removed. Unfortunately little Eddie the kid next door had perfected his forward thrust with the Arisaka and I took one to the leg. Live and LEARN.

Absent today with most kids.

Oh man yea, is this thread dredging up some old memories..Great thread btw!

I remember once when I was still in Elementary School I got my butt fanned by Dad. He too had brought back souvenirs from Korea and the Philippines. Among them was a Japanese rifle with a foldable front bayonet. My friends and I would be acting out and tossing the rifle two hands (those things were heavy) like a spear with the bayonet extended and locked into the front lawn. We were careful to clean the exterior of the rifle and bayonet spear good, but once got nailed for messing with it and thus the butt fanning. I had always wondered about that, and years later Dad did finally disclose that what gave me away was that I didn't check the muzzle closely and he discovered a little dirt packed back into it...

Lesson learned Razz

Regards, Will G.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I remember getting hauled off to the principal’s office when my pocketknife fell out of my pocket during gym. That was in the late 70’s. I was completely confused. It was a gift from my dad, and ultimately, they let me keep it.

My 6 yo is about to get his first pocketknife and I’ll have to see about making sure he never brings it to school. He’d probably get expelled.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taught by Benedictine nuns. Nuff said.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
I remember once when I was still in Elementary School I got my butt fanned by Dad. He too had brought back souvenirs from Korea and the Philippines. Among them was a Japanese rifle with a foldable front bayonet. My friends and I would be acting out and tossing the rifle two hands (those things were heavy) like a spear with the bayonet extended and locked into the front lawn. We were careful to clean the exterior of the rifle and bayonet spear good, but once got nailed for messing with it and thus the butt fanning. I had always wondered about that, and years later Dad did finally disclose that what gave me away was that I didn't check the muzzle closely and he discovered a little dirt packed back into it...

That Type 44 carbine that you were chucking around in the dirt? It's worth up to ~$3000 today, depending on condition and variation. Big Grin

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Thats it...thats the one alright, I also remember that there was some kind of hollowed out compartment in the rear of the stock, maybe for a cleaning rod or something?

Dad also had brought some kind of like samurai sword with a metal case that it snapped into and locked when fully sheathed. Somebody slipped into the garage and snatched it though..

Regards, Will G.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My mom is 66, I'm 44. She's a tiny little Asian lady and I'm 6'200#. But to this day, if she tells me to do something, I do it right away.

I'm raising my kids the same way.

I see a lot of kids these days are horrible. I call them the "y" generation.

They're told to do something and the first word out of their mouth is "Why?".

If I did that to my mom, I'd get smacked.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I had to bite my tongue quite often while working at the school because parents did or said things that my parents would never have bothered with. Parents just don't know how to prepare their kids for the real world.

One parent told me about sending her 13 year old son to the corner store to get something. His first time ever walking on the sidewalk alone and he gets hit by a car while crossing the street. I was like, "yeah, that sounds about right."

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I have woods out back of my property, and when my son is older I'd like to just tell him to go out and play, and be in by dark.

People call the police because of "unaccompanied minors" now.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
oh look another anti-millennial thread, just remember who raised us.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
People call the police because of "unaccompanied minors" now.

And a great preponderance of the parenting of old related so far in this thread. Quite a narrow place to be in as a parent these days.

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post