New
Find
Notify
Tools

EBT Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
Thanks for holding up the line today while you argued with the cashier about how to squeeze the last $24.01 out of your EBT card. The people behind you didn't have anywhere to go, and we all actually enjoyed you being a bitch and asking for the manager. The best part was when you left and I walked out and saw you getting into your 2017 Honda. It really made feel all warm and fuzzy knowing I was helping someone so desperately in need of sustenance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Was in line several months ago when a lady was arguing about what she could or could not buy with the EBT card.

Cashier was saying, "The system will not let me ring these up."

"Buyer" was saying: "It's my money, and I should be able to buy whatever I want...".

And I said: "No, it's my money, and her money and his money and anyone who works and pays taxes money, but it certainly is not your money!

It got real quiet and she said: "All I need it this." pointing to what was already rung up, finished and huffed on her way.

The cashier apologized to me, and I told her, "No need, I meant what I said." She smiled and thanked me.

Push this crap back, every chance you get.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My business is in Baltimore City where just about every store has a EBT sign in the front window. Many will allow the purchase of just about anything with the card. Some sell liquor, beer, wine and cigarettes on the card. Now that really is healthy for the down trotted isn't it. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I can't tell you the number of times I have been in DC and watch someone pay for something with one of those cards and then get in a newish BMW.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Got passed by a meat truck. The ones that you call and they deliver to your home. The back of it had "We accept EBT."

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I know my experience was an exception and not the rule but it's indelibly etched in my mind I have to share.

Decades ago, I was behind a black lady maybe 20 to 35 years old with a young boy, maybe 10. Both of them were cleanly dressed, it might have been a Sunday and they were dressed for it. The boy was strikingly well-behaved. What caught my eye was everything she had on the coveryor belt had a coupon on top of it.

I was about to vocalize my admiration for her couponing skills but as I was about to do so, she pulled out her book of welfare checks to pay for her groceries. This was before they switched to credit cards. I just kept quiet as I didn't want to embarass her. She obviously took the time to coupon out of need.

That made me feel good and I thought to myself, the system should be helping more of her kind than the lazy sloths and I know them too as relatives of friends of mine.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I can't tell you the number of times I have been in DC and watch someone pay for something with one of those cards and then get in a newish BMW.

I once saw a black couple dressed to the nines at BJ's, their cart had $650 of food in it, just a normal sized cart mind you.....it was all king crab legs, filet mignon. etc. They paid with multiple EBT cards and then proceded to get into a new Cadillac Escalade.

A friend of mine owns 7 condo's and he went to rent one.....all of the people asking if he took section 8, all drove a much nicer car than him.....new range rover, new bmw's, new Mercedes etc......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I was in the grocery business for many many years (35)

have seen the cart full of high end stuff, folks dressed like going to church, big escalade etc in the parking lot, paying with multiple cards

watched a young girl use her card for the first time, she was maybe 18, mom and grandma were there with her teaching her what to do and were proud to show her,, (you would think they would be more proud to keep her off it,,,,)

as far as what is allowed and not, differs slightly by state, and meat is meat as far as the system goes, (filet vs hamburger)

big retailers have the system set up where the computer knows which is available and which is not , smaller retailers just do it by hand so to speak,

in one area I worked, the local churches had classes for the members on how to work the system and what was available (and how to qualify)

the system had great intentions when it started, but it is full of graft, corruption and outright theft (like any gov't program?)

mom and pop's are typically the worst, they will take EBT for almost anything, and will also take trades, as in you go out and steal stuff (laundry detergent and shampoo/body wash was a favorite) and they would give you credit,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they know how to work the system. My son’s wife’s family tried to get her on it when she was pregnant at 19. She said no, she and my son got married just before he enlisted. They still struggle but refuse to go in the system. They’ve rejected all help and said we want to make it on our own. Her side of the family still tries to get her into it. I told them both that I am proud of them and that they will never be homeless. Just don’t let it get too bad before you ask for help if you need it.

The system is geared to keep them in.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I was in a grocery store last year and two very well dressed women were talking about their EBT cards and how the government “needs to pay us more!” Mad

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
How does one get on this gravy train? Looking at retiring in a year or so and might need the extra 'cash'.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many people sell their food stamps/ebt cards to support other...habits. So if you see someone using EBT cards and getting into nice cars, it's likely (not always, but usually) that they purchased those cards for half or less of their value.

The asian corner stores in Baltimore are famous for this. They'll ring up $40 worth of EBT eligible food and give a person $20 cash back, but in reality no food was ever purchased.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
My business is in Baltimore City where just about every store has a EBT sign in the front window. Many will allow the purchase of just about anything with the card. Some sell liquor, beer, wine and cigarettes on the card. Now that really is healthy for the down trotted isn't it. Chris

Things just like this are the reason why the system is so abused.
When those tallies go in to the system they can tell exactly what was bought and what merchant sold it. The powers that be should suspend the users card and prosecute the merchant. This is the only way this kind of thing will ever get squared away !

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
Many people sell their food stamps/ebt cards to support other...habits. So if you see someone using EBT cards and getting into nice cars, it's likely (not always, but usually) that they purchased those cards for half or less of their value.

The asian corner stores in Baltimore are famous for this. They'll ring up $40 worth of EBT eligible food and give a person $20 cash back, but in reality no food was ever purchased.

yep,

happens in the hood here too,

another thing, sometimes when you see someone with multiple cards, they may be running a 1/2way type house, either for mental or physical handicap folks,
the 'patients' get the benefits and the cards go to the folks that run the house, to use for food for the 'patient' supposedly, but not always,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Wife and I were at a Meijer out here a few years ago, day before Superbowl. Couple probably in their late 40's, decently dressed, had a preteen boy with them.

Shopping cart filled with meat, cheese and fruit trays. Chips, dips, bottles of pop. They were talking between them about the party they were having the next day.

Guess how they paid, yep, Michigan Bridge Card.
Our tax dollars at work. And not even an invitation for us...

I have no problem IF this was to be used for a family oriented event like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, hell even Kwanzaa. But a damn Superbowl party?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This is the result of LBJ's "war on poverty."

I hope that asshole is burning a thousand more deaths in hell.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
There is a discount grocer near me that gets practically mobbed when the EBT cards are filled. I suppose if you're going to buy food on my dime you should get it cheap. Roll Eyes

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:

yep,

happens in the hood here too,

another thing, sometimes when you see someone with multiple cards, they may be running a 1/2way type house, either for mental or physical handicap folks,
the 'patients' get the benefits and the cards go to the folks that run the house, to use for food for the 'patient' supposedly, but not always,

Interesting, never heard of that scam. Not surprising in the least!

I always thought the government should hire fraud investigators that get a percentage of all the fraud they uncover. I bet even giving those investigators 5% of what they find/stop the government would still save millions (and investigators would get rich).

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
True story.

My dad is down on his luck. Lost his job. Has three kids and a wife to feed, and a mortgage. Never been on unemployment or welfare in his life.

Went to the local welfare office. Saw about ten "minority" folks apply, and be treated very professionally by the office staff. Smiled out the door with their new found benefits.

Dads turn in the office. His turn to get interviewed. Lady tells him, "You're white. You can easily get a job." Benefits denied. Nothing. Nada. Get lost honky.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post