SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Why Does Ken Burns Need My Money?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why Does Ken Burns Need My Money? Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
I'm watching the PBS telethon here at the hospital with Grand Dave, and we are wondering something. Given that Ken Burns has created a dozen epic film series, and has all manner of money, why do I need to pay PBS to pay Ken to make even more movies?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I used to listen to the radio (before my hearing loss) I removed the local PBS station from my car pre-sets, mostly because of the seemingly non-stop fund raising.

I dropped my membership in AOPA (Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association, kind of analogous to NRA, but for aircraft instead of guns) for the same reason. They asked me for money, I asked how much total compensation Phil Boyer (the president of AOPA) made and how much he contributed. They refused to answer, I refused to renew.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
First rule of movie making, never use your own money Wink

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These fundraisers really chap me. They used to be twice a year, now they seem to be twice a month and drag on for two weeks. Whenever I look at the listings and see 2 hours of "Fifties Rock and Roll" or something similar, I think, "uh, oh, here we go again."
Some years back, the local newspaper did an investigative report about the local PBS's fundraising. Basically it said that the station had more money than God because it bought only the cheaper programming, not the top tier programs the rest of the country was watching and that the local station chief was the highest paid in the nation . Your tax dollars at work !

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Let them just run commercials.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chicago's WTTW seems to run Infomercials all night and most of the weekend, now.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I doubt Ken Burns has lots of money. He makes PBS documentaries, not summer movie blockbusters. He is no James Cameron. Besides, James Cameron doesn't use his own money to make movies, either. No one in the film business does. But that is neither here nor there.

They use Ken Burns to raise money. He makes popular documentaries. So they use him to raise money for local stations.

Yes, PBS fundraising is a pain. But that is the way they do it. Get over it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that a lot of people do volunteer work for the station. I worked with a person that worked there about every weekend.

You have to wonder what percent of the people watching the station make donations?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Don't know how much Federal $$ PBS gets, but with $20 Trillion of debt it's well past time to pull the plug. If it's good enough material, let it compete on the open market.

There was an article the other day about the 'swamp' winning Trumps attempt to drain it. So many things are being funded where there isn't $$ available to do so, it's borrowed.

I've watched PBS some over the years, if it went away today I also wouldn't care a bit.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^I agree with sourdough^^^. I dislike being forced to pay, having NO choice. With a commercial station, when I change the channel I have essentially stopped paying. There is no option with public, and why are we paying to compete with private enterprise? Especially in the day of the internet and 2000 other options available. I'm fine with them asking nicely, but the reality is that it is mandatory that we all pay via our taxes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimb888,

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
These fundraisers really chap me. They used to be twice a year, now they seem to be twice a month and drag on for two weeks. Whenever I look at the listings and see 2 hours of "Fifties Rock and Roll" or something similar, I think, "uh, oh, here we go again."
Some years back, the local newspaper did an investigative report about the local PBS's fundraising. Basically it said that the station had more money than God because it bought only the cheaper programming, not the top tier programs the rest of the country was watching and that the local station chief was the highest paid in the nation . Your tax dollars at work !

UPDATE: Since this posting, it was just announced, that the same local PBS station just had a windfall of $182 million dollars
but.....drumroll....they have announced they will still have the usual fundraisers and presumably will continue accepting our tax dollars .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post