SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I bought a recliner. Turned out really stupid.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I bought a recliner. Turned out really stupid. Login/Join 
posted
So... I bought a new recliner from the Yooper furniture store in February of 18. Sales lady (who should sell used cars) told me it was finest kind and I was studly looking in it. I bought a year warranty to boot. It began sagging like a 70 year old stripper at about the 3 month mark and looked really sad. I was sad, too. In mid January of this year, the handle that actuates the recliner mechanism broke. I flipped the chair over and the problem was a broken plastic part. But I bought a warranty! I went to the store with my warranty in hand. Office manager agrees they will fix it. Great! However, the repair guy wont be able to visit my home for 3 weeks. Why? He is Chicago based. Thats right, he drives to the Yoop from Chicago (in the winter) once a month to fix furniture. So, just for fun, I go home and surf Amazon and find the exact same plastic part. Seven bucks and at my house three days later. But I have a warranty! So I wait for the repair dude. The appointed day arrives and standing on my porch is.... Julio!
Hola, Julio! Mucho Gusto! Julio has a truck but no parts. Julio examines the chair and says he will order the part and it will be shipped to my home. In two weeks. Then I am to call Julio and he comes back up to the Yoop and repairs the chair. I show Julio my Amazon part, he confirms it is the right part but tells me he cant install it because it is not "authorized". Gracias, Julio! Adios! But I have a warranty!
I go back to the Yooper furniture store and make an even bigger ass of myself than I normally do. I get referred to the head sales lady. She says the recliner I was sold was in fact crappy ( you dont say) and a guy my size should have a "big mans" chair and offers me a killer deal on an honest to God, made in the USA, giant size Big Guy Recliner. Which I look even more studly in!
I tell them to cancel the parts order and my new recliner is holding up well.
Guess what showed up in the mail today. My authorized part. Sixty days later. For a chair I no longer own. I desperately want to call Julio and have him come back to the Yoop.
But that would be evil, wouldn't it?
So... If you are considering buying a recliner, beware of Chinese made crap!
And I did not buy the warranty this time!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
beware of Chinese made crap!

Indeed.

Sunday, I bought a large magnified desk lamp for soldering work on repair projects. It's "Made in China", of course. and it lasted one hour.

Cheap manufacturer used a very small "Cir clip" to retain the clamp and of course it broke the first time I used it.

Today, it went back to the vendor for a refund. Return desk man said: "We get a lot of these returned 'cause of that very small clip".

Yes, beware of Chinese made crap.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You say you appear studly in the recliner. Did not happen without a pic! This is one problem you have when you reside in BFE. I formerly resided in BFE Wisconsin so I know what it is like getting stuff beyond flannel shirts and fishing gear.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
True, it can be difficult getting good stuff up to the Frozen North.
But I managed to get an actual Mexican from Chicago!
Se habla recliner!

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Esta bueno!

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he shows up again, keep him. We got enough as it is.

Couple days ago my girlfriend and I stopped at Bed Bath and Beyond for some stuff, and everything, quite literally everything, was made in China! We bought some shit anyway.

At the checkout register, I asked the woman how she thought business would be when Trump's tariffs go into effect, and she gave us a two-minute runaround response. I'm guessing (hoping) that either they will go back to some of the original sources (mainly European, I think) or go out of business.

There was a nice knife set that had some German name, and I thought about buying it, but turns out it's also Chinese.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds exactly like my experience with two Lazy Boy chairs. 1600 bucks worth of bullshit. I dumped them 2 years later because they were killing my wife's back. Bought a nice leather setup from a chap chain store 15 months ago and we love them. No bag, so sag, power reclines and long/wide enough for us to lie side by side, should the mood strike. (We're in our 60's, it don't strike that often Big Grin.)

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in the UP, I am very familiar with UP shopping. It goes like this. Whatever you want/need the local stores do not keep it in stock, but they can order it for you. It may or may not come in in 6 weeks, and no one but you cares one way or another. I do have to say that having the repair man come up from Chicago, takes it to a whole new level. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Now you can order your next recliner from your recliner...

Linkadinkadoo

Just have it delivered direct to your door, although they don't have a studly-do-right meter
on the web page yet...

Posts: 23383 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Glad you brought this up Yooper, I was just thinking about another chair. I sleep in them these days. I currently use an old office chair that reclines back and a foot rest. I need one that requires limited space between my bed and a wall dresser in front of the wall mounted TV. With the link HRK provided I think I zeroed in on another...

Snoozin chair

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My girlfriend is looking for one because of her COPD, so any recommendations for good ones, post 'em up, please!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9143 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
So, did you put skis on the old one so it can be towed behind the car? Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
If you can find a decent furniture store try out the same recliner in 2 or 3 different frame sizes. We are always attracted to large overstuffed chairs but often they are too big. If you're not long legged the big chairs will cause you to not have the back support because it doesn't fit you correctly.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Google "The Beast Recliner". Prepare for a shock. Some folks are getting 1K+ for them.
I got mine for 500 bucks, delivered free.
Mine is holding up great. So far anyway!

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Flexsteel. Recliners that are also gliders, and have power recline and headrest, or without.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My expensive Lazyboy recliner memory foam came loose inside the upholstery. My local Julio looked at my picture and estimated $600 for that part. 33% of the original cost of the recliner. No thank you.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The arm of our Lane chair became loose. It was supposedly equal quality to Lazyboy, so I was surprised to find the frame made up of thin, cheap plywood held together largely with staples.

Price and brand name don't seem to indicate quality.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same for Lazyboy, it has a plywood frame. Quality is not there now.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Wonder if he drove up through WI or MI to get to you. Sounds like a boring ass drive from Chicago. Big Grin

Posts: 13092 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
So if you have, or can get a good older one that’s solid,and get it reupholstered it might be a solid deal.

I’m looking at my 20 year old LazyBoy, it’s solid, I’ll see what it might cost to just get it redone. Better than throwing away good money on a new crappy one.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post