SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shingrix Vaccine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingrix Vaccine Login/Join 
posted
Jeez, what a thing!My wife and I had our second yesterday, it was worse than the first. We spent last night in the ER because she was having heart palpitations, we're off to a follow up in a half hour. It probably didn't help that, when returning from the shot, she rode her bicycle like a madwoman for 40 minutes in 90 degree heat. The woman just doesn't get that she's 60.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
The first shot was the only vaccine that has ever messed with me. I felt vaguely ill for several days afterwards.

I haven't taken the second shot yet.

And I'm very sure that her on the bike didn't help At All !

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had both shots of Shingrix with no problems. I got a mild case of shingles, even though I had gotten the first vaccine which was approved, Zostavax. Longitudinal studies of Shringix suggest better immunity from outbreaks.

Even the mild case of shingles was miserable. I was on antivirals almost immediately and it did lessen the severity. Even if I had to visit the ER with tachycardia, I would prefer it over a case of shingles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having supported people with shingles, I agree that the ailment sucks. Just be prepared for the possibility the vaccine has some pretty serious side effects for some people. I'm glad it didn't for you.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had side effects on both the first and second shots. Felt like I had the flu in general/soreness/fatigue but the pain in the arm that received the shot was quite surprising. Very sore and exercising it didn't help much. Inoculation area was red and inflamed and stayed that way about four days.
About the sixth day everything went back to normal...
I have heard the side effects for some can be worse-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just had our two shots, the last one last month and the first three months before that. We were fortunate in that we both just felt mildly under the weather for a day after the first, and had a (very) sore arm for a few days after the second. Small price to pay for prevention against what I understand is a pretty miserable condition to have.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
My wife and I just had our two shots, the last one last month and the first three months before that. We were fortunate in that we both just felt mildly under the weather for a day after the first, and had a (very) sore arm for a few days after the second. Small price to pay for prevention against what I understand is a pretty miserable condition to have.

About the exact same response I had. First shot had me feeling "off" for a couple of days and the second shot gave me a wicked sore shoulder for another few days. But my dad had a bought of shingles and I saw what he went through. No thanks.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my "first" shot about a week ago, other than the very sore arm, I did not have any other issues. Although, after reading the replies here, makes me a bit leery about getting the second shot in about 2 months time. My mother in-law had shingles, and described it as the worst experience of her life, so I want to avoid it - even if I have to have some "side effects". When my mother in-law describes something painful, I pay attention - my wife is one of seven children!

Posts: 143 | Location: NoVA | Registered: August 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I guess I just have to take my chances.

My doc says no vaccinations, not flu, not shingles, because Guillain Barré.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I'm 13 weeks out from a Shingles outbreak...

I still have pain.

I never thought about getting a shot because, well.... I'm superman and it will never happen to me Frown

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3456 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my first Shingrix shot about 45 days ago. I had soreness for about a week. My running routine has suffered since. My legs will feel like their filled with lead after short sprints. After seeing what shingles did to my grandfather and know many people afflicted, I'll put up with the side effects.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dermatololgist explained that your reaction depends on the state of your immune system. She was not addressing allergic issues. She went on to indicate that as you age, the state or your immune system declines. Patients in their mid to late 70s have little to no reaction to the vaccine.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I have read that the vaccine is only about 51 percent effective. People that get a reaction have weaken immune systems.

Most people have low levels of vitamin D3 which is the primary prevention of cancer. As you move further from the equator, the levels of vitamin D3 drop.

They now know what causes us to age and I think within the next ten years or less, they will know how to live past a 100. They are now starting studies to determine the best dosage to prevent anti-aging.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
I have read that the vaccine is only about 51 percent effective. People that get a reaction have weaken immune systems.

Most people have low levels of vitamin D3 which is the primary prevention of cancer. As you move further from the equator, the levels of vitamin D3 drop.

They now know what causes us to age and I think within the next ten years or less, they will know how to live past a 100. They are now starting studies to determine the best dosage to prevent anti-aging.

I believe Shingrix is touted at 90% effective, vs. the old vaccine which was 50% effective.

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
You are right:

Why the latest shingles vaccine is more than 90 percent effective

Date: March 7, 2018
Source: Westmead Institute for Medical Research
Summary: A new study has shown how the body's immune system responds to the new shingles vaccine, Shingrix, making it more than 90 percent effective at protecting against the virus.

By age 85, approximately 50% of the population will develop shingles. Vaccination is the only way to protect against shingles.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../03/180307095243.htm

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My first shot wasn’t bad. The second was 4 days of a sore arm and feeling washed out. Yes, the pharmacist warned me the second shot would be noticeable.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
After the second shot I felt flu like symptoms but only for a day. Guess I lucked out.

Posts: 5298 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I had only a slight tenderness at the injection site for both shots. There seems to be a wide variety of reactions.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had shingles back in 2004 (IIRC). Started with an itching, slightly burning sensation on my left eye on a Friday night.

It was misdiagnosed as a stye at a walk in clinic the next day and by Monday morning the pain was significant in various places on my left side and left eye. My wife, an ANRP at the VA, saw the areas (yeah, stupid me, I'd suffered in silence) and headed me out to my Primary VA doc who did what could be done. About 4 weeks later, I was over the episode.

It really stunk! I missed almost two weeks of work-never, ever had that happen before.

Because of my age and medical conditions, I was a candidate for the stinking stuff to return, so I had the first generation vaccine against shingles. I later learned I needed to take the Shingrix to be "sure." I got them at the VA and the first was a bit more painful than the normal "shot." My arm was a bit "sore" but not a big deal.

The second shot hurt less, but my arm was a bit more sore, kinda like when a classmate (you remember that little jerk, don't you?) "frogged" you in your arm.

The bottom line, the shots weren't a big deal for me and the recollection of the pain and discomfort made me prepared for the vaccine and possible side effects in order to avoid a redo of the stinking shingles.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
She went on to indicate that as you age, the state or your immune system declines. Patients in their mid to late 70s have little to no reaction to the vaccine.

Me, late 70's, had super sore arm, first night had chills, sweats and fever, and felt like crap next day. Then ok except for the sore arm.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post