SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Shingrix Vaccine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shingrix Vaccine Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife, who unlike me religiously gets flu shots, got the first shingles shot and refused to return for follow-up due to side effects.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell her if she contracts shingles, she’ll really wish she’d gotten that second shot.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tell her if she contracts shingles, she’ll really wish she’d gotten that second shot.

^^^^^^^^^
A photo and a first person account is helpful as well. The virus can result in post herpetic neuralgia that goes on for months, not to mention loss of vision depending on which nerve is affected.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Dumb question. I just had a complete physical with my long-time physician, who is now part of a large practice (I'm 58). I asked him about getting the Shingrix vaccine. To my surprise, he said this vaccine is hard to obtain, and that his practice did not offer it. His suggestion was to go to a large chain drug store that give vaccinations (like CVS). He claimed they may have a waiting list to get the vaccination.

Is this true? Where did you all get your Shingrix vaccination?
I got my vaccinations at the CVS Minute Clinic .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just returned from getting my flu shot at Kroger. I asked while I was there and they also give the Shingrix shots.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on the waiting list at Walgreens since February. Checked in last month and still no vaccine.
Got pissed last week and called my local pharmacy chain and they had product in stock. Got my first
shot today and covered in full by insurance. It pays to check around.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1054 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Got my second shot this week. I had to wait almost a year for the first one because the vaccine was in short supply. Had a sore arm for a couple of days following shot one. After the second shot, had a sore arm and felt crappy for about a day. That was it, glad I got the new vaccine.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by btanchors:
Dumb question. I just had a complete physical with my long-time physician, who is now part of a large practice (I'm 58). I asked him about getting the Shingrix vaccine. To my surprise, he said this vaccine is hard to obtain, and that his practice did not offer it. His suggestion was to go to a large chain drug store that give vaccinations (like CVS). He claimed they may have a waiting list to get the vaccination.

Is this true? Where did you all get your Shingrix vaccination.

We called around and were offered to be on a waiting list. About a month later they called. We went in that same day.
Next was the three month wait. Again we got called and got the second shot.

My suggestion is to call around for availability. Get on a waiting list. When the vaccine comes in don’t wait.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My wife and I each got our first dose today along with our annual flu shot. So far only a couple sore arms. Our SIL had shingles a few years ago - I don't want it.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I inquired about the Shingrix shot this year with my primary care doc while getting the annual flu shot. She had the dose in stock, but said with Medicare I should get it with a drug store offering immunizations. I got on the waiting list at Rite-Aid. The other day when I was in Walmart I inquired at the pharmacy and they had Shingrix available. After processing some paperwork the pharmacist gave me the first shingles shot. My arm was a bit tender for 2 days, but has recovered since. BTW, there was no charge at Walmart with Medicare and Tricare for life insurance.

Posts: 23 | Location: Western NY  | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
I went and had my flu shot done about a week ago and they wanted me to get the Shingrix . But after seeing my wife side affects I want to have better planning

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
All the shingles "scare stories" are making me nervous.

I really wish that I were eligible for the shots, but the doc has put them on my no-no list, along with flu, pneumonia, and maybe some other vaccinations.

With the prohibition for flu shots that I had had annually for decades before contracting Guillain Barré Syndrome, I have now become obsessive about hand washing and using hand sanitizer.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuckRogers2000:
I got my first Shingrix shot about 45 days ago. I had soreness for about a week. My running routine has suffered since. My legs will feel like their filled with lead after short sprints. After seeing what shingles did to my grandfather and know many people afflicted, I'll put up with the side effects.

I got my second Shingrix vaccination a week ago.

My reactions to the shot have significantly altered my treadmill work out routine, in that my tolerance to incline has been lessened.

It took me until the past couple of days to absorb the fact. On the plus side - My "fitness points" are much easier to rack up.

I'll see if my tolerance to incline builds back up over time...

Posts: 195 | Location: Smithfield, Utah | Registered: April 29, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm 68 and had my 1st shingles vaccine a few weeks ago in left arm. Had pneumonia shot same time in rt arm. Mildly sore for a couple days. Get the next shingles shot mid Dec and next pneumonia shot a year after the first one. Kroger mini clinic is where I got mine and insurance covered everything as I'm still on private insurance.

Posts: 4682 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I had the first shot at the VA and had a really bad reaction, I had the chills so bad, I was shaking too much to drink a glass of water. Told the VA what happened, and the nurse suggested I not take the 2nd shot.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post