SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Well, this is a new one - Distracted driving related
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well, this is a new one - Distracted driving related Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
On my way to work the other day, I'm behind a small sedan doing appx 10-15MPH under the speed limit the entire time. The way our cars are lined up, I can only see him. But I can see that he's making gestures with his hands (Not at me, just in general). At first I think maybe he's just talking with his hands, but then I notice there's nobody in the passenger's seat.

As we come around another bend that hooks to the right, I'm able to get a full view of the driver's side of his car and notice that his phone is in a holder attached to the left side of his windshield, and he's on either a facetime or skype call with someone. And that's when I realize what he's doing.

He's doing sign language.... with both hands, while driving. While the person on the skype call is doing sign language as well.... In aggravation I hit the horn at him, then realized that he may be the deaf one.

Well, that's a new one for me..

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I was waiting for a pedestrian to clear the crosswalk so I could make a left turn on a green light (not an arrow, so pedestrian had the walk signal) woman honking behind me waving her hand and angrily throwing them up in the air. Put the car in park, stepped out, pointed at the walker in the crosswalk. She stopped honking.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got that beat. Went through Drivers Ed with a deaf chick. When she drove, her interpreter sat beside her and would tap her on the shoulder to get her attention. After the shoulder tap, deaf chick would turn to face the interpreter. Which caused her to immediately swerve into oncoming traffic. Always. At speed. No matter what was coming. My most vivid memory of Drivers Ed was when the deaf chick went head to head with an Oshkosh cement mixer and ran it off the road. I am a veteran of many Police pursuits. Drivers Ed was way worse.
Oh, deaf chick got her license. I know because I later snagged her for speeding!
Bonus: Our Drivers Ed car was the epitome of early 70s GM craftsmanship: A 72 Chevy Nova 4 door. Deaf chick trashed at least two of them. She could not hear, sense or feel when the engine started and would leave the starter motor engaged after the engine started. The starter motor would then loudly self destruct.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
In aggravation I hit the horn at him, then realized that he may be the deaf one.

That's some irony, right there...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:

As I was waiting for a pedestrian to clear the crosswalk so I could make a left turn on a green light (not an arrow, so pedestrian had the walk signal) woman honking behind me waving her hand and angrily throwing them up in the air. Put the car in park, stepped out, pointed at the walker in the crosswalk. She stopped honking.
While in Barcelona for a work assignment, I was stopped at a red light. The car behind me was from a driving school, student driver at the wheel.

There was a pedestrian in the cross walk. Our traffic light turned green, I waited for the pedestrian, the student driver behind me plowed ahead when the light turned green.

I explained to the driving instructor that my Spanish was sort of weak, and his penance would be to handle all the interaction and paper work with the police and the rental company where I got my car.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

AZ offers a special plate for deaf drivers, but it is simply an "H" as the first character, and is intended to alert emergency services such as police and fire. I believe there should be a more recognizable symbolized plate to alert all drivers as to the deafness of the driver in front of them.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

AZ offers a special plate for deaf drivers, but it is simply an "H" as the first character, and is intended to alert emergency services such as police and fire. I believe there should be a more recognizable symbolized plate to alert all drivers as to the deafness of the driver in front of them.

Maybe they could have a series for different groups, AH - Ahole, CL - Clueless, AP - Accident Prone, TXT - Texter, DH - Dick, LLB - Left Lane Bandit,

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My father in law was deaf (before he died) and sign language is my wife's first language.

From what I have seen, deaf drivers (especially motorcycle riders) are much safer and cognizant about the traffic around them and even more so when deaf passengers are in the car. (all occupants are watching and "helping" the driver be aware) It's really a very unique thing to witness.

I believe what the OP and others here have seen are the generation-entitled deaf kids driving with a phone. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well I guess it's better than if he was reading braile.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Maybe they could have a series for different groups, AH - Ahole, CL - Clueless, AP - Accident Prone, TXT - Texter, DH - Dick, LLB - Left Lane Bandit,

Yeah, but some people would have so many codes they would need a trailer to carry their license plate.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post