SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Waking up and the truck not starting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waking up and the truck not starting Login/Join 
Picture of Rustpot
posted
Spent 4 hours trying to figure this out. The worst part is I blocked in my car in the garage, so I'm stuck for the day until someone comes home and I can pull the truck, move the car, and push the truck into the garage and out of the snow. I can't get a jack under it since the driveway is sloped gravel where it's at, and the plow left enough snow packed at the rear wheels I can't roll it myself (it might also be frozen under there, can't quite tell, but digging didn't help).

Hoping it's something stupid like a weak battery or a frozen starter solenoid. Might be the starter motor finally went. Without a second person I can't watch a meter while putting a load on it or try and jump it with another vehicle, or give it the ol' BFH whack while trying to start. I get a click, I can hear the fuel pump, car doesn't turn over, just humms and every 4th or so try it turns hard and pops a few times.

But now I have two trucks sitting in the driveway that need fixing. The other has a split brake line I've been avoiding even attempting to fix.

Posts: 5304 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I had to get an emergency battery replacement the other eve, last Friday. I went to pick up at school, had the radio on a while with the engine off, no start once it was time to go.

I evaluated the day, several short trips with multiple starts with a 7+/- yr old battery. I had been planning on replaceing anyway. I was leaving early the next morning for three days, only the one vehicle left at home.

The local Wal-Marts were out of the 24F batteries, mention of a supply issue from Johnson Controls. I ended up going to Autozone for a 'Duralast Gold', about $40 more but higher CCA.

Maybe you can get a charger on it? How old is the battery?

Posts: 2768 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would clean the battery connections and throw a charger on that battery.

Posts: 5194 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
If I had a charger I'd try and run one. I've had the truck a little over a year, it's a '95.

The terminals look good, I had the terminals off.

Nothing I needed to get done today was critical. I'm a day late shipping a couple items to members and getting a tank filled for a friend's kegerator, and I'm out of veggie snacks.

It's supposed to be in the 40's by the end of the afternoon and into tomorrow after we got a freeze and 4" last night. Hopefully she'll fire up when it gets a bit warmer and I can go get a diagnostic on the battery. Someone should be home in about 3 more hours, 2 of whom have trucks so I can move mine if needed.

I left it in 4WD in anticipation of the snow, it seems the electronic system needs the car running to disengage, so trying to push it myself with everything locked ain't happening. Not sure what the big lever is for if the car is going to need power, maybe it locks the rear diff and the front is electronic?

Posts: 5304 | Location: Rochester Hills, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You might consider a AAA membership.

I like mine.

Posts: 6469 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post