SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My Windshield Wiper isn't Right
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Windshield Wiper isn't Right Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I have a 2012 Lincoln MKS and the driver side wiper is out of spec or something. I have had to replace several blades already. I was driving in rain yesterday afternoon and noticed the blade was flopping from side to side and moving in a jerky fashion. The passenger side was going back and forth quite orderly.

Think the arm could be bent?

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not seated properly?

Is it jumpy/skipping (blade/glass contact), or is it physically rotating on the wiper arm (not seated/connected fully)?

Coating on the windshield? RainX or similar?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Jumping and skipping. It is just not straight like the other. No coatings on the windshield.

Posts: 5615 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Replaced with the same blades each time? Maybe an incompatibility between those blades & the glass?

I know Mercedes had a lot of issues with wiper chatter on the 4th gen C-class. Lots of replaced windshields.
Maybe pitting in the glass causing the blades to jump?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15246 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
If you use Rain-X, you don't need any wipers!

I would just buy a new set and make sure they are of good quality. Some low cost have plastic parts that break even when installing.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dkjbama
posted Hide Post
Have you tried tightening the nut that holds the wiper arm onto the motor?

Posts: 775 | Location: NW Alabama | Registered: January 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkjbama:
Have you tried tightening the nut that holds the wiper arm onto the motor?

Check the wiper linkage as well.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
well...., if it isn't right, make it a left Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
No coatings on the windshield.

clay bar the windshield just to make sure something on it is not causing the problem

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Be sure to use the proper length blades. One that is too long could potentially drag too much.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
It was raining again today and I was only a block from where I bought the wiper, so I stopped by and they gave me a new unit under warranty. It seems to work better.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
It was raining again today and I was only a block from where I bought the wiper, so I stopped by and they gave me a new unit under warranty. It seems to work better.

Your windshield probably has a substance on it causing your wiper issues. I'd actually try Rain-x-ing it as Rain-x does a pretty good job at cleaning imperfections out of the glass.

Otherwise IMAR makes an excellent glass polish that is easy to use and will get all imperfections out of the glass. Then Rain-X afterwards to protect the glass.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your windshield probably has a substance on it causing your wiper issues. I'd actually try Rain-x-ing it as Rain-x does a pretty good job at cleaning imperfections out of the glass.

I put at least three coats on the glass and let it set until dry and buff. It there is still a haze, wipe with a clean wet cloth. It seems to cover up the small rock chips.

I have been in heavy down pours and the water just rolled off like a ducks back. It provides a real safety benefit.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Try cleaning the windshield really well with a good glass cleaner. Then wax it with Nu-Finish. Put two coats on it. Wipers should run smooth as can be then. And no, I do not use Nu-Finish on the paint of any of my cars. Strictly glass alone. Smile

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Try cleaning the windshield really well with a good glass cleaner. Then wax it with Nu-Finish. Put two coats on it. Wipers should run smooth as can be then. And no, I do not use Nu-Finish on the paint of any of my cars. Strictly glass alone. Smile

Are you trying to put Rain-X out of business?? Big Grin If it is that slick, will the wipers fly off into the wild blue yonder?? Eek

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
The only people who use Rain-X are the people who have never tried Aquapel. Rain-X is nothing but a layer of silicone and wears off too quickly.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
The only people who use Rain-X are the people who have never tried Aquapel. Rain-X is nothing but a layer of silicone and wears off too quickly.

In my experience, yes Aquapel lasts longer, but it only lasts about twice as long as Rain-x. But it’s much more expensive than Rain-x. Rain-x is the better value, imo.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3960 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:

In my experience, yes Aquapel lasts longer, but it only lasts about twice as long as Rain-x. But it’s much more expensive than Rain-x. Rain-x is the better value, imo.

Aquapel lasts around 6 months for me. Rain-X last about a month and leaves a nasty waxy residue where the windshield wipers don't hit. And yes, I apply it properly.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post