SIGforum
I don't mind that Colt has decided to stop civilian production for awhile.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/5750016264

October 30, 2019, 10:16 AM
Monk
I don't mind that Colt has decided to stop civilian production for awhile.
What irks the shit out of me, though, is the immediate disappearance of almost all Colt rifles and uppers due to panic buying. Can you assholes be any more predictable? If you weren't planning on buying one before Colt's announcement, there's no reason to jump up and buy one now.

And no, I'm not looking to buy anything myself, I just like to keep up with who has what in stock. Seems like all you have to do is fart the in direction of a social media post and give someone the idea that something might become a little scarce and suddenly the vultures and chicken littles appear out of the woodwork to decimate whatever's left.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."
October 30, 2019, 10:20 AM
RHINOWSO

But I'm glad I bought my 6920-R Trooper last Xmas and my CM762 earlier this summer, plus parts. Wink
October 30, 2019, 01:17 PM
parabellum
Oh, I agree with you, Monk. I've been saying it for years- get your stuff while it's quiet. But, I'm not so sure about the "awhile" part.
October 30, 2019, 01:43 PM
sigfreund
I’ll keep saying it: A “panic buyer” is someone who got the last one of whatever it was I was in a hurry to purchase.
If, though, I wasn’t in a hurry to purchase it myself, why do I care why or how it was purchased?

On the other hand, the Colt thing was a stark reminder of the validity of the advice parabellum has long been preaching, and which I’ve echoed to many people myself:
If you know you want or need something associated with guns or ammunition, buy it as soon as you can because we cannot predict how or why things may change—and sometimes literally overnight.

I have money in my agency budget for a new patrol rifle and I intended to buy another Colt because I’m familiar with the line and don’t like surprises. I naively assumed, however, that there was no rush before next year when people started thinking that President Trump might not be reelected. But we know what happened. With no warning Colt announced an end to civilian sales for reasons that supposedly had nothing to do with gun rights infringement, and it was immediately obvious what the consequences would be.

Note to self: If you know you want or need it and have the money, don’t wait.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
October 30, 2019, 02:48 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Note to self: If you know you want or need it and have the money, don’t wait.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks I now feel better about my purchase. You guys talked me into Colt AR 15 pencil barrel. I am no John Wick as Para pointed out. Glad I have it and now thanks to you folks some Mags of different varieties. Primarily a pistol guy to this point. Looking forward to learning and training with my carbine.
October 30, 2019, 03:45 PM
Black92LX
I had been planing on buying a Colt in February.
Long before they announced their pause. I get a little extra coin in February and tend to buy a gun each year. I have always wanted a Colt and this was going to be when I did it.
Guess we’ll see what February brings.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
October 30, 2019, 04:44 PM
sigfreund
Worth every cent the information costs, and I would blame no one if it does not come true, but a TGS rep believes commercial sales by Colt will resume after "the first of the year."

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
October 30, 2019, 04:48 PM
Ryanp225
Christ, I have so many AR's, mags, ammo, parts, and accessories purchased during the last 3 years that I could open a store to rival PSA.
October 30, 2019, 05:11 PM
parabellum
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
...a TGS rep believes commercial sales by Colt will resume after "the first of the year."
That's good to know, but just as sure as I'm sitting here, if commercial sales resume, the panicky ones will go back to "Oh, good, well then I can get it anytime I want..."

Just as sure as I'm sitting here.
October 30, 2019, 07:11 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
...a TGS rep believes commercial sales by Colt will resume after "the first of the year."
That's good to know, but just as sure as I'm sitting here, if commercial sales resume, the panicky ones will go back to "Oh, good, well then I can get it anytime I want..."

Just as sure as I'm sitting here.

Yet the one's who bought will attempt to resell theirs above MSRP before Colt resumes commercial sales.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

October 30, 2019, 10:09 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Yet the one's who bought will attempt to resell theirs above MSRP before Colt resumes commercial sales

^^^^^^^^^
no doubt. I will not. I am lucky and got one. Only one I have. When I bought it guy at LGS offered me more than what I paid for it from Buds. No sale. I do enough speculating with stocks. Others can, I will not. I guess get what you can is the motto of some. Not me. Not trying to be sanctimonious.
October 30, 2019, 10:36 PM
radioman
You can always get a Colt King Cobra.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
October 31, 2019, 07:54 AM
bubbatime
I saw the announcement. I immediately went to brownells and bought the Colt 11.5 upper I always wanted for $400. Good thing too, because the next day it was $200 more expensive. And within a week, they were sold out.

November 01, 2019, 07:11 AM
NK402
Some may remember that once before, during the administration of George HW Bush, Colt discontinued sales of AR's to the public. Back then, they were about the only game in town when it came to AR's. After a few years, they quietly dropped the ban and I bought an HBAR. Never did shoot it well and ended up giving it to my son.
November 01, 2019, 01:27 PM
Rev. A. J. Forsyth
I drive by the Colt factory daily. There are never cars there on the weekends, and maybe 75-100 on the weekdays. I never see any in the evenings. It's just an assumption, but it appears that they are only running one shift.

The original "onion dome" factory is getting repurposed and gentrified.
November 01, 2019, 01:54 PM
RHINOWSO
Two summers ago Colt LE6920-R Troopers were $700.

$700.

I wish I had bought 2-4 of them.
November 01, 2019, 02:11 PM
egregore
quote:
Two summers ago Colt LE6920-R Troopers were $700.

A few years ago you could get them at, of all places, Wal-Mart, for roughly that price.
November 01, 2019, 02:18 PM
RHINOWSO
Yeah, the Trooper is even better with the cut down front sight and Centurion rail.

They were blowing out OEM-2s and had Centurion make a special, marginally 'simpler' MLOK rail and called them "Troopers".

Fracking unbelievable deals - I eventually bought one as a Xmas present to myself last year and LOVE the rifle, it has become a favorite with just a PNT trigger and an Aimpoint H-2 (another Xmas buy for $545 on sale).
November 01, 2019, 06:25 PM
Ronin101
Sounds like they should suspend production more often to sell their stock!!!!
November 07, 2019, 10:25 PM
Poacher
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Sounds like they should suspend production more often to sell their stock!!!!

I work a little in a LGS, and that is what this is, they have two years of inventory they need to get rid of.

One little announcement and voila, sales skyrocket.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt