SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Railed Pistols
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Railed Pistols Login/Join 
Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
I bought a really nice car cover for my 1969 Camaro and the bastards went and changed the body style.
See how silly this is?

Well the same car cover worked on either of my 69 Camaros it fit the Z-28 just as well of the SS/RS.

The holsters that I have purchased for my modern 1911 pattern pistols also fit my great grandfather's WW I 1911.

What other part of my "antique" P229 won't fit on one purchased new today?

What part of a 1969 Camaro will fit on a 2017 Camaro w/o modification?

Nope, not really seeing it...

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jlb226:

Which is why this thread is silly. Products change. Get with the times or be happy being relegated to the out-of-production market.

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
What other part of my "antique" P229 won't fit on one purchased new today?

Extractor, extractor spring, and firing pin stop to name three.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Winner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

Which is why this thread is silly. Products change. Get with the times or be happy being relegated to the out-of-production market.

And the massive improvement that SIG has made to the P229 over the last 22 years...

A not quite picatinny rail on the dust cover.

You're right all of my old SIG pistols are obsoleted and ineffective for concealed carry because of that rail.

Posts: 132 | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right all of my old SIG pistols are obsoleted and ineffective for concealed carry because of that rail.

They certainly are, send them to me and I will dispose of them for you.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
There have been a couple of comments about getting some low-light training and it isn't all that hard to find. As I was figuring out my own take on the 'always-armed' life style about 12 years ago the light was a mystery and training showed me the light, as it were.

My experience included, Oregon firearms Academy (now closed) so it doesn't matter, thunder Ranch where Smith has a superb purpose-built shoot house with a stairway, and is dingy to dark. Firearms Academy of Seattle has a low light house that can do the job and John Farnam makes you go outside in the scary night to figure it out.

My solution after being introduced to choices and fitting it into what I can do and want to do: I have a railed 320 which recently replaced a railed 226 with a mounted x300 in a Safepacker that stays at home, another x300 that travels with me in my possibles bag, unmounted with a 229 in a 'normal' holster, but the light is a thirty second mount and goes on when I go into a motel or whatever. And I carry a pocket Surefire all the time besides.

I'm not trying to talk anybody into anything, but this minimal effort to shine a little light into the darkness works for me and as Smith says, is comforting. Rails simplify my carry life.

Edited to add: I am not a Ninja Smile

Posts: 6358 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My nightstand 226 9mm has a rail. That's the only one that I own, with a rail I mean. It has its place.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Meh.

I have guns that have rails. I have guns that don't. If I have a gun with a rail on it, and I don't want to mount a light on it, I don't.

If I have a gun that doesn't have a rail, and I want to put a light on it, it is a bitch.

I fail to reeeeaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyy see the big deal. I buy guns to use. If I chew a holster up, I buy a new holster. A holster isn't made to last 100 years. Buy a good holster (leather) and it will still last you a dozen years (or more) with a railed gun. Stuff breaks. None of it is meant to last forever.

Take a good home defense course from someone who really knows tactics, and how to read/use low light, and a WML becomes a must for concealed carry. You learn that lesson pretty quick. Night sights do nothing for ID'ing your target. I get lazy and don't always carry a gun with a light but I know better. There is no flashlight technique out there that will be as repeatable as turning on a WML.

YMMV.

Try Chicago again. Come back here and give a class in low light gun fighting. I'll bet you would fill it. I know I'll attend.

Posts: 5732 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I'd love to do Chicago again. You keep me safe? Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post