SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Handicap placards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Handicap placards Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted
Here in Ohio we have handicap placards you hang from your vehicle mirror so you may park in handicap parking spaces. When you are driving please take them off the mirror (I see a lot of masks dangling now too). They create a blind spot that is much bigger than you think. It would be very easy to miss a motorcycle to your right at an intersection as well as a pedestrian in a crosswalk. Be safe. Krazee

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
In a lot of states you can be stopped and issued a driving award/ticket for obstructed view if driving with ANYTHING hanging from front/rear view mirror while actually driving. Might be a chickenshit ticket but a legal ticket. ............... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
It would be very easy to miss a motorcycle...

I'm always amazed at the people who can't look for a train.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
In a lot of states you can be stopped and issued a driving award/ticket for obstructed view if driving with ANYTHING hanging from front/rear view mirror while actually driving. Might be a chickenshit ticket but a legal ticket. ............... drill sgt.

In Louisiana it tells you on the hang tag remove it when driving

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I get customers' cars that have all kinds of shit hanging from their mirrors, some of them (e.g., strands of fake crystal jewelry or beads, ID neck tags) hanging clear down to the dashboard. Roll Eyes

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I get customers' cars that have all kinds of shit hanging from their mirrors, some of them (e.g., strands of fake crystal jewelry or beads, ID neck tags) hanging clear down to the dashboard. Roll Eyes

I cringe every time I see this idiocy. 99% of the time it's a young female driver with that crap hanging off of the mirror.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Or can't hear it.

I'm a big believer that we give out driver licenses too easily and too cheap here. Driving has turned into a right instead of a privilege. I bet if we had German testing standards, we would have many less shitty drivers on the road as well as less shitty cars on the road with body panels flopping in the wind.

I also think we should get rid of the automatic transmission. Go with standards so people actually need to know how to drive instead of just steering.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Locally our elementary school requires a hanging placard to pick up kids at the school. How stupid is that? Obstruct your vision where you have small children walking.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]In Louisiana it tells you on the hang tag remove it when driving[/QUOTE]

Alabama also -- what scares me is the folks that don't read the warning are the same folks buying first time guns for safety.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be very easy to miss a motorcycle Krazee

A now retired police officer friend of mine told me about how you can hold a #2 pencil in your thumb and forefinger at arms length , pointing straight up, and a motorcycle, heading directly towards you will be completely hidden behind the pencil.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

Here in Kansas that is considered‘Operating a motor vehicle with the driver’s vision impaired’, though it might only be enforced if it can be shown to have contributed to an accident. Unfortunately police officers have much larger issues to deal with while on duty.

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
It would be very easy to miss a motorcyce

Yeah, you need clear vision to hit them squarely.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Or can't hear it.

I'm a big believer that we give out driver licenses too easily and too cheap here. Driving has turned into a right instead of a privilege. I bet if we had German testing standards, we would have many less shitty drivers on the road as well as less shitty cars on the road with body panels flopping in the wind.

I also think we should get rid of the automatic transmission. Go with standards so people actually need to know how to drive instead of just steering.

Same. If we did there would be so many people getting their licenses yanked.

First we’d have to make smartphone surfing while driving a felony. I’m game for instant felony, instant arrest.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a placard in my truck . Actually , my rear view mirror is at eye level and obstructs my view . The placard hangs below it and doesn't cause an issue at all .

Posts: 3970 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
My mirror has a larger than usual square stem to house the equipped computer tech I'm guessing, so I just glovebox it until needed and I just jam the placard into the front lower window seal when I need to use it.

I wish that they even made a more portable Sunpass device for the tolls for use. Though the one I'm issued with the stick-on suctioning cups is small, it seems like front windshield visibility could be better served with a smaller device.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The ones that frighten me are the people with their smart phone, GPS or BOTH suction cupped to their windshield right in front of their face! Just the fact that you don't see that as a bad idea, is enough that I don't want to be around you on the road.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon sells a nice metal holder that clips to my visor. The placard is up when driving (held by small magnets), just touch it and it drops down just to the right of the rear view mirror.

Flip it up and it's back out of (my) sight.

I bought it because two vehicles ago the rear view mirror had so much "stuff" inside, as just1tym said, that the placard would not fit.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Locally our elementary school requires a hanging placard to pick up kids at the school. How stupid is that? Obstruct your vision where you have small children walking.

It's not just the actual obstruction. As I preached to my Daughters... something constantly moving/swinging around makes you desensitized to movement in that direction, it becomes "normal" and gets ignored. Could sometime be a person or a car pulling out... but your brain has been trained to ignores the motion from the direction.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found out ,three weeks ago that a high school kid on a 750 cc crotch rocket ,at the t-corner,
can be totally blocked out by my rear view mirror.

Thankfully ,I eased my way in to the intersection .and he was double careful as well.

I followed him in to the high school to apologize , in case I was at fault at all.

He said no worries,not a problem at all no need for apologies.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
Amazon sells a nice metal holder that clips to my visor.The placard is up when driving (held by small magnets), just touch it and it drops down just to the right of the rear view mirror.

Flip it up and it's back out of (my) sight.

I bought it because two vehicles ago the rear view mirror had so much "stuff" inside, as just1tym said, that the placard would not fit.

Bob

straightshooter, I browsed on Amazon today and they had several. I have a vanity mirror that is on the driver's side visor and it has kinda limited space, would this device still work and maybe the link of the one you're talking about, thanks!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post