SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Back surgery pain
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back surgery pain Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I had my third major back surgery 4 weeks ago, procedure took 5 hours. I'm hurting so bad still, sometimes I just tear up. The spasms are the worst. Makes me yell out loud. Family is out of town and I'm "suffering" alone. Just felt like bitching.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear your suffering so much, hope you get some relieve soon. Been thru one back surgery can't imagine three !

Guns-I have some

Posts: 213 | Location: missouri | Registered: December 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I'm no fan of heavy drugs, but the OxyContin is about all that's keeping me moving right now.

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
It's OK to cry.

Sometimes, pain wins the short battle.

I'll say a prayer for relief.

Been fighting chronic pain all my life. It sucks.

Sometimes it sucks a lot.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Sir. I'm in bed, there a light rain and I have some music on. I'm about as relaxed as I can get Big Grin

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Sometimes we get a break, and it's a taste of heaven! Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Wean yourself off of the Oxy as soon as possible if not sooner. While the pain maybe rough continuing the Oxy will be rougher. It is super addictive and will take hold of your live. In my business I see the results of it's hold on people everyday. Years back I had my neck done, the hospital hooked me up to Morphine I had them pull the plug on that. Then they started with Oxy I stopped that as soon I figured it out what the pill was. Motrin 800mil did the trick for me. Good luck, Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had my 3rd back surgery about 3 yrs ago. It was a long and painful recovery this time. Of course I was 66 and I think being older adds to the misery. The surgery was exacerbated by the scar tissue that had to be removed from the 8 inch incision formed when I had my first surgery at 31. Hang in there brother. Be careful with the pain meds. Don't get impacted due to opiote induced constipation. Use plenty of stuff to counteract. It will get better.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank y'all for your replies, Maxdog... I know what you mean concerning scars/scar tissue. I look like some type of POW from behind.

Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Hang in there buddy! I have back issues, flare ups are the worst, nothing compared to your misery though. I agree with Chris, get off the Oxy when you can, I'll say a prayer my friend.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks!... and thanks again! I hate drugs, but to be honest I hate pain more. I'll be weening down asap. Frown

posted Hide Post
I have had two serious accidents, where I hurt my neck and then my back. My doctor told me that I should avoid back surgery like the plague. I have.
Most days I have little or no pain and can do some heavy labor. I do have numbness a lot. My neck locks up on me sometimes too.
I guess I am fortunate.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I was fused back in 2008 from L4 to L5. A couple of months ago a scan revealed that my spinal cord at L2/L3 was pinched down to about 2 or 3mm from what's usually about the size of your pinky finger. Very well respected neurosurgeon, said he hated to fuse more but saw no real choice. I trust him, much more than the ortho guy that did the fusion in 2008. All this stemmed from a fall on Mt. Hood nearly 20yrs ago. I have a check up tomorrow to talk about my pain level and spasms. Hopefully it goes well.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Twice a broken back. Three spine surgeries. Two rods, fusions, no meds and I'm not in a wheelchair!!!!! I've been blessed with a SUPERB surgeon here in Nashville! Granted I have the pain threshold of "THOR", but no pain meds! I have seen first hand what they can do. Not for me.

I will admit that I have acquaintances that use CBD oil with great success. Too bad its so blurry with legalities Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sybo,

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
My mother had all kinds of neck and back issues and it looks like I'm a chip off the old block, as I have the same bad neck and back as she did and almost everyone on the Irish side of her family. She could have been a poster girl for opiates, they made life tolerable for her. So far, I haven't taken them very often, but if I get as bad as her, I wont hesitate to take them.

Posts: 214 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 01, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this Mike. When I saw you a couple of weeks ago, I knew you were hurting, but thought you might have a path forward. Hang in there man, we're all rooting for you.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I also wish you well, but I will be the voice of dissent for one part

Take. Your. Pain. Meds

Exactly as prescribed, in the manner your physician tells you to

I've had over 20 major orhtropedic surgeries. I've got more coming. I have metal in all my limbs save my right arm

In the beginning, I too shrugged off pain meds. Alcoholism runs in my family, and I'm a big tough dude

The reality is it slowed down my recovery, made me miserable, and made those around me miserable because I was a mean son of a bitch in that much pain

There is a ton that can be done now to tailor the therapeutic regimen to the individual needs of the patient

I've had gene site testing done so that doctors can avoid putting me on medications my body doesn't respond well to (which often time leads to just greater dosing and a greater risk of withdrawal)

There are nerve blocks, radio frequency ablative treatments, all sorts of stuff

The reality is pain is your bodies way of telling you something is wrong, snd overwhelming pain like you describe can prevent healing

Let your doctors help you. Be active in your care and treatment. Let them know your concerns, and then let them help you. Yes addiction is real. But not everyone that takes or needs pain medication becomes addicted. There is a way to do this correctly

Feel better!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for your advise and kind words. The recovery is slow, just slower than I'd hoped for. My first fusion was a nightmare, I guess I had hopes of hoping back faster since this one was not a 360 degree type cage.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Best wishes and NEVER GIVE UP!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sybo. I needed that right at this minute!