SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What's With All The Rancor?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What's With All The Rancor? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
I have been a member here for a bit over ten years. I have seen many disagreements, I have been one of the disagreeing parties more than once, but I do not recall the name calling, cursing, and lack of respect for other members, that I have been seeing recently.

What’s going on, people? Can we not disagree, using a bit of old-fashioned courtesy?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Anonymity. People say things they might not say or at least tone down in person. We are all guilty to some degree but the Internet makes the range mighty big.

On the flip side, because of my job, you never hear me go too political or religious on the Internet. In person, I judge my audience and go from there.

My tolerance from asshattery on this forum is perhaps wider than yours. I try to not say anything that would make a lifelong enemy. However if someone says something stupid calling it out is reasonable. I’ve said stupid stuff and got called out and rightfully so. I just started a thread today where that happened. My first position was indefensible and stupid. I was told so. I had to agree and redefine my angst to what really bothered me. Scamming me out of money I didn’t need to spend. Most guys still disagree, some with harsher words than others. Who cares? I asked for opinions. Maybe I should have asked for nicer opinions. Lol

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Report This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Anonymity, I'm not so sure that is the case. Bravado maybe?

How else can you explain when somebody you know personally goes off the deep end over a post you made on FB with remarks you know would never be said to your face?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I think anonymity is part of it, but I do know in talking face to face with friends that a lot of people are stressed over the upcoming election. The stakes are as high as ever. And obviously here we are 2A supporters so there’s always the tension knowing it is always being attacked from traitors.

As for people acting douchey on forums, I’ve recently realized what an effective tool the ignore list is. I’m not going to waste my time reading posts from people who’s M.O. is to be mostly douchey and/or negative or quick to attack other people. People have differing opinions. If we were all the same life would be boring.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
AW...your mother wears army boots!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
It's the violent video games and loud rock n roll music. Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yowsa. Just came across one like that. Tiptoeing away...

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
You're one to talk. I asked you a question about whether you could park your car inside your airplane hangar and you've been shitting all over my posts ever since.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomS:

Wrong. It's yo mama wears combat boots. Get it right next time heah?

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

You're one to talk. I asked you a question about whether you could park your car inside your airplane hangar and you've been shitting all over my posts ever since.
Really? All your posts? Please show me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
It's the violent video games and loud rock n roll music. Wink

And that satanic Dungeons and Dragons too!

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:
Wrong. It's yo mama wears combat boots.
And swims out to meet the troop ships.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
In a similar thread I commented that it seems to go through phases around here and at the moment we’re in a fighting/arguing phase. *shrug*

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
This thread about rancor has rancor. I think we should caucus about rancor.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
quote:

Wrong. It's yo mama wears combat boots. Get it right next time heah?

And your father smells of elderberries!

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, enough with blowing things out of proportion. For some reason, this seems to be the prevailing opinion in this forum these days. Very popular to start these kinds of topics, assessing what ails SIGforum.

I want you guys to quit behaving as if there's suddenly something wrong in this forum and I want you you to refrain from starting threads like this. Quit jumping on the bandwagon and behaving as if this forum never had members argue in the past, never had longterm feuds between members in the past. This forum was never a peaceful, harmonious commune, where members were perfectly respectful of one another. Nostalgia is all that is. Nothing but nostalgia. There have always been and shall always be conflicts in internet discussion forums.

Time and again, members comment that we're a cut above the rest, and when I turn around, someone is lamenting how far we've fallen. Which is it? Are we exceptional, or do we suck as badly as everyone else? If the former, hoorah, and if the latter, well, we're only human, aren't we?

You guys really don't want an admin that's going to jump on anything that anyone says out of line. Usually, I give members a chance to work out their differences, and often, this works fine. Usually, I jump in only when it's apparent that there will be no resolution in a given instance. Do you want to be treated s adults? Or do you want to be treated as kindergartners, whose every move is observed and policed? Who wants go have the boss in their shit all of the time? I can do that, y'know. You wouldn't want it. Neither would I.

I treat you guys like adults. The rest is up to you.

There will be conflicts in this forum and that's all there is to it.

If you want to do something to improve the tenor of the forum, then don't participate in any squabbles, and that includes jumping in to comment on the squabbling. If you see a problem, report it to me, using the report-this-post feature which is displayed in the lower right hand corner of each post.

Whether you take these suggestions or not is up to you, but I don't want to see any more threads like this.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post