SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gun terms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun terms Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I wouldn't generally recommend having models in high heels posing on the hood of my car either,

Oh, I would. Wink

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The funny flip side of this coin is that it has apparently become trendy to be the anti-hero in the firearms community. To rage on against Karl. When mere mortal men just smile, acknowledge Karl is correct, and mentor the young shooter to shoot AND know the proper nomenclature. They'll surprise you. They can handle both.

If the Second Amendment is going to survive, a balance is going to have to be struck on knowledge on all fronts. Simply dismissing what you don't want to be accountable for as unimportant doesn't make it......unimportant.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stumbling through where
others have fallen
Picture of REdwin89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gutpile Charlie:
"Magazine and clip" ruffle my feathers but near as much as those who call gun stocks "furniture", and every thing you use in conjunction with a firearm you "run". "Furniture has nothing to do with gun stocks, it is the small accouterments. i.e. hardware that is used in the assembly of a firearm.

I often wonder how this bastardization of the language begins? Why would any person in their right mind "run" a sling instead of "use" a sling on their rifle? Is it the internet? is it YouTube? It appears quiet often that those that know absolutely nothing are the ones that are the most anxious to dazzle you with their "knowledge" and they are doing just the opposite. I think many just want to dazzle you with bullshit and think that you are impressed with their use of "in" words? Actually all they are doing is showing you that they don't have a clue?

Oh yes, let us not forget the clowns that like to demonstrate gun movements with neck breaking head snaps. If I want to look into the chamber to see that my firearm is empathy, I just look....no need to make a production out of it. Doesn't make you look tactical, just makes you look like a clown.

That's OK charlie. I still cringe when I hear all the youngun's call their weapons "toys." Must be because Ive passed the 3/4 century mark and also that my military training kicks in.

"I don't know a lot but I can zero beat the V's on an R390."

Posts: 2322 | Location: No longer new to Central NY | Registered: March 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bottom line, some people always gotta be "the one." The one true safety guy, the one guy who points out you'll be shot by Mr. Supercriminal if you wear a butt pack, the one true....sad.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Let's not forget, dare I say it, silencers. When Hiram invented them and marketed them in Harper's he called them silencers. When the Feds screwed with them and codified them into law they called them silencers. When the great state of Washington made them legal in 2014 or whatever they referred to them in the Revised Code as silencers.

I sure hope I didn't confuse anybody because they really don't SILENCE.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Mossy, Remmy, and Shottie are the ones that make my skin crawl, but I probably wouldn't say anything except in threads like this.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Mossy, Remmy, and Shottie are the ones that make my skin crawl, but I probably wouldn't say anything except in threads like this.

you left out Annie,, (Anschutz)

have heard Springer as well,

what gets me is when talking to someone about a firearm, all they know is they shoot a 9mm,

what type of pistol?? 9mm

no, seriously, who made it??
I am not sure, but it is a 9mm,,

ditto 38's (all 38's are apparently 38 specials)

and 45's,

it can be maddening,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

I am with you there. I use accurate terms when it's required. Muzzle, Sear, Butt, Comb, Forearm, . . . but clip is acceptable, scope instead of optic you get the point.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
what gets me is when talking to someone about a firearm, all they know is they shoot a 9mm,

what type of pistol?? 9mm

no, seriously, who made it??

I am not sure, but it is a 9mm,,

ditto 38's (all 38's are apparently 38 specials)

and 45's,

it can be maddening,
I was at the Walmart ammunition counter, waiting my turn. The guy in front of me had been invited to shoot with a friend and he had been told to bring ammunition. He needed "forty-five."

Clerk asked him what type -- .45 auto, or .45 Colt? Poor customer did not have a clue.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clerk asked him what type -- .45 auto, or .45 Colt? Poor customer did not have a clue.

Does Walmart carry 45 Colt? It sounds to me like the clerk was being a bit of a jerk. Kind of like when condoms were behind the counter and you had to ask the pharmacist for them. A friend of mine liked to ask what size the guy wanted. Had lots of fun with the high school kids.

On the other hand, the lack of knowledge in pretty incredible.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Does Walmart carry 45 Colt? It sounds to me like the clerk was being a bit of a jerk.
Clerk was trying to be helpful. He put a box of each on the counter, showed the customer the cartridges, explained that one was for revolvers, the other for semi-automatic pistols. Poor customer still did not have a clue, all he knew was that he had been invited to shoot with a friend and he needed to bring forty-five caliber ammunition.

I suggested that he call his friend and ask what type gun it was; the customer appreciated my suggestion and when I left he was leaving a message for his friend.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suggested that he call his friend and ask what type gun it was; the customer appreciated my suggestion and when I left he was leaving a message for his friend.

Glad you suggested that. Thanks for clearing that up.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would definitely appreciate a clerk’s asking if someone wanted 45 Colt or 45 ACP. Early in my formal firearms teaching activities, my student went to a gun store and asked for 357 ammunition (it was for an S&W model 28 revolver), and walked out with a box of 357 SIG cartridges. Of course, three of us screwed up that effort, but especially me: I should have gotten involved in the process myself as part of the preliminary planning and told her, “Pick up a couple of boxes of 38 Special ammunition for what we’ll be doing,” or even better, “You bring the gun; I’ll bring the ammunition.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post