SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gun terms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun terms Login/Join 
Picture of jezsuiz
posted
So I call it a clip, boolits, etc just to make Karl the overweight tactical operator sweat. Almost as much as eating makes him sweat....

Saying these things correctly doesn't make you a better shooter, shooting does. I know you read plenty of gun rags and know what all the special ops units carry.

No point to this really just salty as hell when you see people like this scaring off new shooters because they don't want to deal with you and your ilk.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda like writing to gun magazines to complain some model had her finger on the trigger. Makes me nuts.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Maybe.

Maybe not.

It IS revealing when somebody calls a magazine a clip. There IS a difference, and if you own/use a Garand, or if you ever loaded magazines with a stripper clip, then you'd know what that difference is.

And there IS a difference between a bullet and a round/cartridge -- ask any reloader. Sometimes precision in language is important.

Don't go 'round bragging about your ignorance. It just doesn't pay.

And, also, it's just foolish to bitch when a friend tries to make you smarter/better informed. You'd be far better off to take the lesson to heart than to bitch about it.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except that using the wrong terms for something is a demonstration of ignorance. Apply that to virtually anything else. Call your car a truck or your printer a fax machine or your TV a movie.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And a violation of the trigger rule is always wrong. It's not semantics, its safety.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
So if a new shooter at the range calls it a clip I should immediately school them on their ignorance? If the second amendment is to survive we need more people in the shooting sports. Getting smug and telling them they are ignorant seems to be the wrong way to do this.

To clarify I know the difference between these things it just makes me laugh to watch Karl get all bent out of shape over something so meaningless. Especially if his flash hider is indexed upside down.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s easy to correct someone’s terminology without being condescending or otherwise unpleasant about it. The best way is to simply learn and use proper terms oneself when discussing them with others. Beyond that takes a little more care and effort, but shouldn’t be all that hard, especially if the person providing the instruction actually knows what he’s talking about and can explain differences, etc. Teaching new shooters the lore of guns and shooting involves more than just controlling the trigger properly.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jezsuiz:
So if a new shooter at the range calls it a clip I should immediately school them on their ignorance? If the second amendment is to survive we need more people in the shooting sports. Getting smug and telling them they are ignorant seems to be the wrong way to do this.

To clarify I know the difference between these things it just makes me laugh to watch Karl get all bent out of shape over something so meaningless. Especially if his flash hider is indexed upside down.

So what you're saying is that it's not possible to mentor somebody without putting them down? I don't believe that, not at all.

Sounds like the problem you've encountered may be either a lack of leadership/mentoring skills or a personality defect that causes one to need to bolster one's ego by putting others down/in their place by making them feel ignorant. Who owns this problem?

It's entirely possible, and entirely desirable, to mentor/lead people without putting them down. There is no down side to doing this.

Try it. You'll like it.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Correct terminology matters, but you don't have to be a jerk about it.

Yeah, someone should not get bent out of shape over it, but that doesn't mean that one must revel in their ignorance.

Posts: 3653 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Magazine and clip" ruffle my feathers but near as much as those who call gun stocks "furniture", and every thing you use in conjunction with a firearm you "run". "Furniture has nothing to do with gun stocks, it is the small accouterments. i.e. hardware that is used in the assembly of a firearm.

I often wonder how this bastardization of the language begins? Why would any person in their right mind "run" a sling instead of "use" a sling on their rifle? Is it the internet? is it YouTube? It appears quiet often that those that know absolutely nothing are the ones that are the most anxious to dazzle you with their "knowledge" and they are doing just the opposite. I think many just want to dazzle you with bullshit and think that you are impressed with their use of "in" words? Actually all they are doing is showing you that they don't have a clue?

Oh yes, let us not forget the clowns that like to demonstrate gun movements with neck breaking head snaps. If I want to look into the chamber to see that my firearm is empathy, I just look....no need to make a production out of it. Doesn't make you look tactical, just makes you look like a clown.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I believe the point is being missed. As far as leadership is concerned I will ask the 60 people I lead as to my motivational skills.

I am not sure why but I will try again!
I am at the range trying to teach someone to shoot. Young person calls a magazine a clip.
Third person who is not involved at all smugly and rudely chides person for not calling it a magazine.

So I am supposed to pile on? I would think it wouldn't be the right time considering the student is already a little out of place being as they have never used a pistol (see!) before. Tell them it's a pistol not handgun, cartridge not bullets and magazine not clip? I guess I made the error of trying to teach safety and marksmanship.
I figured I could leave terminology for a later time. Thank you for proving my point.

posted Hide Post
And I've seen SO MANY people get shot by photos. But hey, if ya live in absolutes.......

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy I shoot with out of state and he has shot, collected and traded guns for over 40 years. He is one the better shooters I have hung around with, served in the Navy back in Vietnam, very knowledgable of firearms, and he occasionally will call a magazine "clip".

I don't correct him or harangue him about it. I simply don't care. He is a great guy, I learned a lot from him in regards to shooting and hardware and I will not be an asshole to him simply because he sometimes uses the term clip.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am at the range trying to teach someone to shoot. Young person calls a magazine a clip.
Third person who is not involved at all smugly and rudely chides person for not calling it a magazine.

So I am supposed to pile on?

Do what you want, but, personally, I'd give the rude, smug third party The Look and, once I've seen they've gotten the point, I'd turn to my student and quietly, gently say "He was right, by the way, even if he was being a jerk about it."

quote:
Tell them it's a pistol not handgun,

A pistol is a subset of handguns, so calling a pistol a handgun would not be incorrect.

Furthermore, some will argue "pistol" == "handgun." (A debate in which I've no intention of engaging.)

quote:
Thank you for proving my point.

It is unclear to me what point you believe you've proven.

Words have meanings. Often those meanings are important. Ignorance can be dangerous. Promoting ignorance is irresponsible.

And purposely using the wrong terminology just to annoy people is trolling. Yes: Even when you do it to mall ninjas.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I'm still "rolling" down the windows on my truck and "dialing" my phone. I believe using clip instead of magazine is a similar type of throwback.

I once got caught up in correcting people on clip vs mag, right here on this forum. Para squashed that by reminding me that everybody knows what is meant. Since then, I've been a little more understanding of gun terminology, at least around those who don't know better.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
You "nomenclature Nazis" are going to have a hard time with Marlin and Mossberg calling their detachable magazines "clips," or (overlapping with grammar Nazis) the late Charles Askins saying "But there's them as likes lotsa ca'tridges in the clip." Razz And "boolits" is just playful slang. I first heard this one in reference to home- (not commercially) cast bullets.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So who is this "Karl" that you speak about? Perhaps you are painting "Karl"s with the same broad brush that those who delight in telling folks about all things tactical use.

Just wondering,
Karl

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
And a violation of the trigger rule is always wrong. It's not semantics, its safety.

It's a photo shoot. I wouldn't generally recommend having models in high heels posing on the hood of my car either, but it makes a nice ad.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intent can be communicated without exact terminology.... Stocks-grips, crane-yolk, I leave the autocorrect feature for the iPad.

Posts: 199 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I'm still "rolling" down the windows on my truck and "dialing" my phone. I believe using clip instead of magazine is a similar type of throwback.

Pretty much.

If I remember correctly, the first rifle I ever fired, at four or five years old, was dad's M1 carbine with a 30-round clip. Yep...clip. That's what dad called it, that's what everyone I ever knew called them, and that's what I call them. Everyone under the sun knows exactly what I'm talking about when I call it that, and to act smug about it is simply being a dick IMO.

It's no different than the nouveau fly-fishing "experts" getting bent out of shape for calling it a pole rather than a rod. I've been fly-fishing longer than many of them have been alive and if I choose to call it a pole...then I will, and they'll know exactly to what I'm referring. If they want to get their panties in a bunch over it I'd suggest that there are things more important to be concerned with.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post