SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Twitter and comments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twitter and comments Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
I’m not a twitter person, never have, never will, but now more and more we are being exposed to tweets included in articles online, news, op-eds, posts here, etc.

The same phenomena is seen in comments to news articles.

It shows overwhelmingly that people who post these comments are almost all blitherng idiots, mostly malicious blithering idiots.

Is the population really that deranged?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

The vocal population sure seems to be.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Becoming more obvious every day...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Twitter and Facebook are outlets for the insecure and violent to demand elimination of civil rights because they don't trust themselves to function as free people and cast their need for control on others. I no longer use Twitter. It's a hate mob. I only use Facebook to check on gun stores without a web site. Otherwise, Facespace is an echo chamber for shrieking monkeys who failed to elect their pantsuit queen.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've also noticed a disturbing trend of finding what you think is a legitimate news article and when you click on it the article contains about two sentences worth of type referring to multiple tweets that are all listed out below the short paragraph.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
I find their reply system very confusing. Some tweets have three different "@some_name" in their replies and it doesn't reference what they're replying to. So I'll see something like:

Joeblow @joeblow
replying to @DonJuan

@Nosejob. Because he said so.

What the hell is all of that supposed to mean?

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the past the Village Idiot did not have a voice. Twitter has solved that problem. The comments section of hometown small papers is another interesting venue.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

I'd like to believe most of them are not, they've just been driven that way. The same thing in the end but it's not something in the water.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
I've also noticed a disturbing trend of finding what you think is a legitimate news article and when you click on it the article contains about two sentences worth of type referring to multiple tweets that are all listed out below the short paragraph.

These are a favorite of leftist. They throw up about 4 tweets and slap on a headline declaring that Twitter was 'clapping back' about whatever silly narrative they are pushing that day.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
As a generalization, I find that individual persons tend to have a bit of sense. People (a gaggle or so), on the other hand, tend to quickly devolve into group think on a mind bogglingly stupid level.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I think it's a common misconception and understandable.

However, twitter is just like Facebook. If you choose to follow stark raving mad lunatics, then your feed will be filled with stark raving lunatic ravings. If you choose who you follow closely you will have a feed that is exactly what you want to see and it can be filled with breaking news, conservative opinions, guns only, law only - literally whatever you want it to be.

The comments, tweets, Facebook posts that tend to get shared are the ones on the outer fringe, the ones generating controversy. You can be on twitter or facebook and never see any of the nonsense, if you so choose.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post