SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Property Taxes In The Northeast - I Don't Know How People Do it!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Taxes In The Northeast - I Don't Know How People Do it! Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My parents moved from their house of 27 years in Northern NJ (Morris County) 3 years ago. Property taxes were $12k. Taxes were the #1 reason they left NJ.

I have a 5 BR house on 2.5 acres. Probably worth just under $600k. My property taxes are $2,600/yr.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Florida is assessed value - but if a new purchase and no Homestead portability...you basically get sales price.

Taxes figured heavily into us leveling and rebuilding my home vs finding a new one. We essentially kept our tax base / value for the original square footage and only were subject to "market value" for the additional square footage for 1 year. Then it is locked in and cannot rise more than 3% (if I recall correctly) in any year.

So they cap your rise, but you are assessed each year on value and taxed on that. BUT - no income tax ... just sales tax and home property tax (not like VA where what you own gets taxed too).

It IS expensive, especially when adding on Windstorm insurance which runs about $3K/year. I don't see my kids being able to own a home here, unfortunately.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
3k square footage home worth $650k in Mass, just south of the Ma pike on 495, 11k in property taxes on 3.8 acres. Tax has doubled in the 10'years I've been here. The town has good schools and literally nothing else, huge amounts of open space though and we take full advantage of that.
Our automobile excise tax is 25 per 1k and I dispise this tax above all others.

----------------------------------------
Cause the wine taste good and the dance is feeling fine fine fine

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I feel sorry for you guys that have to pay property tax on a freaking CAR.

Here in PA they have jacked up fees like registration and inspection but thankfully they don't make us keep paying tax on a car over and over.

Oh they jacked up registrations and such on us too. $60 for a 2 year safety/emissions inspection and 61.50 per year on a registration.

You pay 7% sales tax when you buy (or 7% of the monthly lease payment, in my case) and then in my town it'd be 30 per thousand every year. 10,000 car you pay 700 up front sales tax and 300 per year property tax. Keep the car for 5 years, you've paid 22% of the purchase price in taxes alone.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Where I go hunting up in Potter county, PA, you'll see houses that look newly renovated but there is ONE SPOT say like 2x2 feet that is unfinished but covered like siding or something.

I asked about it and was told that the house cannot be reassessed for increased property taxes if it's not finished, so people basically "never finish" any sort of renovation that would increase their taxes!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where I go hunting up in Potter county, PA, you'll see houses that look newly renovated but there is ONE SPOT say like 2x2 feet that is unfinished but covered like siding or something.

I asked about it and was told that the house cannot be reassessed for increased property taxes if it's not finished, so people basically "never finish" any sort of renovation that would increase their taxes!

Similar to up here, if you put a shed on your property you shouldn't anchor it to the sonotubes/posts because it becomes a permanent structure. if you just set it on top, it's considered 'temporary' or 'portable' and thus not taxable.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Texas has some of the highest property tax rates in the country. Florida's rate is higher than CA. Without the other factors, that along is meaningless.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxta...roperty-tax-by-state
Agreed, no state income robbery, I mean Tax in Florida. Sales and Property.

The man gonna git his money somehow.

IIRC< Texas has / had a horrendous inheritance tax
Texas: No State Inheritance or Estate Tax

Property taxes are high in Texas, but a good deal of that is municipal taxes atop county and school districts taxes. Texas does have a homestead exemption, extra exemption for retirees and disabled veterans and if one qualifies, land use exemptions. It makes a big difference having land in wildlife/timber/ag classification.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Who assesses the value? That is the important thing. Around here, the rates aren't bad. However, the county assessor estimates way high on value. For instance, a house that is only worth about $45k is often assessed at 70 or higher. When you ask them to buy it at that price, they stutter. Same way with cars.
You can jump through a lot of hoops to get the value on both dropped, but they put the hoops and red tape in place to discourage it. Often, the clerk will deny it the first few times for BS reasons.

Their lesson- Pay your fair share, and STFU.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Who assesses the value? That is the important thing. Around here, the rates aren't bad. However, the county assessor estimates way high on value. For instance, a house that is only worth about $45k is often assessed at 70 or higher. When you ask them to buy it at that price, they stutter. Same way with cars.
You can jump through a lot of hoops to get the value on both dropped, but they put the hoops and red tape in place to discourage it. Often, the clerk will deny it the first few times for BS reasons.

Their lesson- Pay your fair share, and STFU.
Yes, sir; it's gamed better than Las Vegas. If the valuations aren't raised in a given year, it's the millage rate. And you're right about appraisals and appeals.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
$3,301 for me @ 1.15% of assessed value.

I guess I am lucky I can't afford a nicer house, I couldn't pay the tax bill on it.

You have a nice home dude. Lol. I rent a 850 sqft apartment and I probably pay close to your monthly payment Big Grin

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Texas has some of the highest property tax rates in the country. Florida's rate is higher than CA. Without the other factors, that along is meaningless.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxta...roperty-tax-by-state

Yes we do! Right at 3% of assessed value for me. Offset by the fact we have no income tax mostly though.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost in the Woods
Picture of NHForester
posted Hide Post
In NH, property tax is based on assessed value but it varies greatly by the town or city you are in. If average assessed values are high, tax rates tend to be lower and vice versa. I live in Bristol, NH. It is a good example. Our tax rate is $20/$1,000 assessed value. We are 3,000 residents but we have a beautiful lake (Newfound Lake) that is a huge draw. Population swings wildly on every weekend and especially in the summer. We have a full time police and fire department, where none of our surrounding towns have that. Two abutting towns with the most valuable lake shores have almost zero public services and few kids in the school district. Thew hover around $8 per thousand but the cost of the homes are double or triple our town. A couple other abutting towns have high tax rates and no services due to a lack of tax base.

So, for $3,400 per year we have full police and fire coverage, decent schools, good roads, and a high quality of life. Oh, and no sales or income tax.

Posts: 1475 | Location: Newfound Lake, NH | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I pay 7k a year in the SF Bay Area. Home was bought for 500k 15 years ago.

It's now worth about a million Eek

If I were to move into the same house today the taxes would be about 14k a year.

I'm not moving.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3458 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Our house is worth just over $600k and the property taxes are $3,700 a year. 3,000sf.

We live in Snohomish County, though. If we lived a few miles south, in King County, it'd be a lot higher.

No income tax here in WA, either.

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whats the tax situation in Arizona? I'm there now and I love it and can see living there. I'm in the Phoenix area.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
3300^2 ft house on 1/2 acre = $11,300 per year where I live. I hate New England. Thats a lot of gats I could be buyin'.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of all the taxes we pay, the property tax on my vehicle is that one that gets me the most.

It was a big shocker when we moved from Cols, OH to VA.

When I received my property tax bill for my vehicle, I complained that I owned that vehicle, it was paid off, etc..

So, I was paying each year for a vehicle I owned. It was wasn't bad in Hanover, VA but when we moved to the city of Richmond, It went up about $100.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I don't know how people do it!...How are people affording a home that has a $13,000 property tax?

Simple answer is...some people can't. There are many people in states that re-assess property values and adjust property taxes accordingly who are retired and on fixed income/social security that can no longer afford to live in a house that may have been in their family for years due to these taxes. These people have no choice but to sell.

For all the negative things about CA, one thing the voters did in 1978 was pass a tax initiative, Prop 13, that limited the property taxes that could be assessed. Of course liberal politicians are screaming that this has caused a shortage of revenue for the state and counties as they continue with their out-of-control spending habits and funding for illegals but without this initiative, we would have been taxed out of our homes years ago.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 810 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Here in Utah we have an influx of people from California, some claiming that lower taxes was the reason they left. Over time, they will say things like "We need a nice art center, the schools need an after-school program, field trips should be free, the city needs more running trails, the library should be expanded, etc." The whole time I'm thinking about my increased tax bill coming sometime in the future.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heatinajeep
posted Hide Post
$200 or so a year down here in the sticks...

Posts: 1976 | Location: Moody, AL | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post