SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Property Taxes In The Northeast - I Don't Know How People Do it!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Taxes In The Northeast - I Don't Know How People Do it! Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
So I've started looking at houses again, we aren't in a position to move right now with a new baby on the way in 3 weeks, but I'm looking around and seeing what's out there and what's selling. We have been in our current home for 3 years now and are happy there and will be for a couple more at least, but I can see us moving one more time to a bigger house especially if we end up with 3 children. One very good sign for us is that houses seem to sell FAST in our town; we've had 2 homes on our block go up for sale and sell within a week or two. The house we are in we literally grabbed the day after it hit the market.

Just looking around at homes for sale, it's becoming more and more apparent that we will never be able to afford to live in a newer or new home - the property taxes are just too damn high in the Northeast!

I was looking at some homes that have $8,000, $9,000 and up yearly property taxes and was looking a nice newer home that was built a few years ago in the town I grew up in and they were $13,000 a YEAR! I don't know how people do it! Ours are around $3,000 and that's something we can handle, but I don't think we could ever have a property tax bill that is actually 3-4 times that.

How are people affording a home that has a $13,000 property tax? Maybe there's a reason it's for sale right now!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend who lives just outside of Syracuse. Nice home (comparable to mine) and on 5 acres (I have eleven). My property taxes are roughly $1500/year. Her's are nearly $15,000/year.

Fuck that!

Slap on all the other taxes you get nailed for in NY, and I don't know why anyone lives there.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
...Slap on all the other taxes you get nailed for in NY, and I don't know why anyone lives there.

Add the progressive Demokrats and repressive guns laws, I'm darn glad I left the Syracuse area 30+ years ago. Have not looked back.

Did I mention the nasty weather?

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Last area I lived, p.taxes could easily be $15,000-20,000 per year for a decent fixer upper in a decent area. I moved.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Where I am you can get some farther North, but you can't get much farther East without a passport.

My place is assessed at roughly $197,000 and my taxes run right around $1700.

My place is for sale, BTW: MLS Listing C'mon up! Of course the commute would be a beast...

Where I'm contemplating moving TO, the taxes will go up some unfortunately.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i live in NH and have five acres and 3 bedroom colonel its 5 grand

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Another reason why we moved from the Jersey shore 17 years ago. Our taxes in Florida are less than $700 a year.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I'm paying about 5500 for a two bedroom on a half acre. One town over to the west and I'd probably be paying 12k. One town over to the east and it would be 3k.

Posts: 6339 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys have it easy. Here is Florida we pay 2% of the sale price of the home, every year.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
...Slap on all the other taxes you get nailed for in NY, and I don't know why anyone lives there.

Add the progressive Demokrats and repressive guns laws, I'm darn glad I left the Syracuse area 30+ years ago. Have not looked back.

Agreed! I left Onondaga County in the very early '70s and haven't looked back save to return to visit family.

Around here a 300k home will cost about 4k per year in property taxes. Keep in mind that there are no state income taxes though.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You guys have it easy. Here is Florida we pay 2% of the sale price of the home, every year.

Sale price or appraised value? If you bought a home for $200K 20 years ago your taxes are $4,000 every year?

Been in my place for 21 years. Taxes started out at about $3,500 They climbed 10-20% every year without fail until they peaked out at about $7,200 year. Then Scott Walker got into office and straightened shit out. They've dropped and leveled out at about $5,500 for 18 acres with about a $400,000 house.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Texas has some of the highest property tax rates in the country. Florida's rate is higher than CA. Without the other factors, that along is meaningless.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxta...roperty-tax-by-state

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My brother lives in Wisconsin. We just had this conversation earlier this week. He pays about 2.5% of his home value each year. He basically re-buys his house every 40 years.

In Montana, I pay about 0.5% each year.

He pays about 3x what I pay on a house worth just over half what my home is worth.

Crazy

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
$3,301 for me @ 1.15% of assessed value.

I guess I am lucky I can't afford a nicer house, I couldn't pay the tax bill on it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I pay $1400 on assessment of around $300k

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
$4130.28 on an assessment of $212k

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Texas has some of the highest property tax rates in the country. Florida's rate is higher than CA. Without the other factors, that along is meaningless.

http://www.tax-rates.org/taxta...roperty-tax-by-state
Agreed, no state income robbery, I mean Tax in Florida. Sales and Property.

The man gonna git his money somehow.

IIRC< Texas has / had a horrendous inheritance tax

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We owned a 1400 sq ft townhouse in NJ, taxes were $4800/yr when we moved in 2005. Our home in Utah is 3200 sq ft on 3/4 acre and taxes are just under $2,000.

I can't believe PA has taxes like NJ!!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
1650sqft ranch on 0.18 acres in RI. Town values the house at 199,000, tax rate is $19 per thousand for a grand total of $3781 in taxes per year. Cars are 30 per thousand though.

some of the more affluent towns are the reverse, 30-40 per thousand on houses but much cheaper on cars, 18-20 per thousand.

Providence, woonsocket are $50+ per thousand on cars. It's outrageous. Then they tax based on full pristine retail value, often thousands above the fair market value of the vehicle.

One of the pluses of the Ford lease; they pay the property tax, I don't even see the bill. Given my town is right in the middle of the range I'm not leaving any money on the table but get to amortize the bill over 12 months rather than quarterly.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for you guys that have to pay property tax on a freaking CAR.

Here in PA they have jacked up fees like registration and inspection but thankfully they don't make us keep paying tax on a car over and over.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post