SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Property Taxes In The Northeast - I Don't Know How People Do it!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Taxes In The Northeast - I Don't Know How People Do it! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I pay $3100 a year for a house I purchased in December for $95,000. Of course the town has the house appraised at $275k. I requested a new appraisal and am holding my breath.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I there anything about living in the Northeast that's inexpensive? In the early 1990s I was dating a girl who lived in Connecticut an I just couldn't get over the high prices on everything.

I guess if you live there all your life, you don't know that there are parts of the country that don't rape you.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Here in Utah we have an influx of people from California, some claiming that lower taxes was the reason they left. Over time, they will say things like "We need a nice art center, the schools need an after-school program, field trips should be free, the city needs more running trails, the library should be expanded, etc." The whole time I'm thinking about my increased tax bill coming sometime in the future.

Tell them they can find all those things and more if they move (back) to California.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Just received 1st half of 2017 bill.

$1703.70. That's $283.95 per month, of that 67.5% goes to schools. I have no children. If I did they would not go to public school here. I'd have to move so that they could go to a school where the kids speak English instead of Spanish.

Frown

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
As somebody partially described earlier, NH is a funny state. No sales or income tax. Property taxes are set by each town, county, and school district. They vary widely, as does the quality of the public schools. Several towns are known to have good school systems and commensurately high taxes. People commonly move into such a town while their kids are in school, and move out when their kids graduate.

I pay about $15K a year in property taxes. I do not live on anything resembling a palace or a scenic location, and have just about 5 acres of land. The population of our town is 1,500... there is no industry (unless you count the village store). Our schools suck. The fire department is 100% volunteer. The police department has one full time officer (and that's a recent accomplishment).

Yup. Paradise. Ugh.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
Our house is worth just over $600k and the property taxes are $3,700 a year. 3,000sf.

We live in Snohomish County, though. If we lived a few miles south, in King County, it'd be a lot higher.

No income tax here in WA, either.

Correction. Our property taxes are actually $6,800. I was WAY off.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
My city in NH has the highest tax rate in the state per thousand at $42.63 iirc. my water/sewer bill is over 1700/yr. the schools receive poor ratings. the biggest mistake I made in my life was purchasing a home here in the city. I would move if I could sell my house, but I would not be able to get what I owe. The city used to be a thriving mill town, now all the Industry has left and the tax burden is laid on the home owners. If I won the lottery I would move out in a nano second and never look back! I will say their are some wonderful people here and I do love NH, just not this city.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5296 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I live in Upstate NY. I have a brand new house, 2900 square feet, center hall colonial with a walk out basement. It has a 24x28 attached 2 car garage and a 36x40 detached shop. The house is on 6.5 acres and there are 5 acre lots on either side that are wetlands and not really suitable for construction. We have a volunteer fire department (I'm a member), no town ambulance (comes from neighboring city), no police department (rely upon the state police and county sheriff) and we pay for trash collection and have metered water. We pay a little over $12,000 per year in property and school taxes and that is based on the detached building being unfinished (it's not) and they didn't get a couple other features in the house (it's under assessed but I'm not complaining). It definitely sucks BUT we have a great house that we love and the privacy that comes with having space. We have short commutes to work, or really anything we would need, without dealing with traffic and costs of living aren't unreasonable otherwise. It's pricy but I would say we have a high quality of life. If my wife and I weren't both well paid, it might be different, and I certainly don't plan on staying in NY after I retire (and am no longer in law enforcement) but all in all I think we are pretty happy with our living arrangements. If I could pay less in taxes I certainly would, but I'll gladly pay an extra $5-$6,000 per year in taxes to have space and an easy commute. Unfortunately for me, I still haven't been many places besides here where I would rather live, at least not at this point in time, so we make do.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
when I purchased my home in NH, my property taxes were $1800 a year and my condo assessment was $90 a month

when I moved, my taxes were $5800 and my condo fee was $250 a month

I had nothing to show for it, and I got zero benefit as most of the increases were to pay for a Taj Mahal school that I would never use

its one of the reasons I moved - it became so left-wing liberal that I knew that every dime I sent them was an absolute waste and feeding the enemy

I am so glad I no longer live in NH

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post