SIGforum
Ah, tooth pain. We meet again.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/5680076674

November 16, 2020, 01:07 AM
vulrath
Ah, tooth pain. We meet again.
Pain is a better stimulant than coffee. Back on Wednesday I had a crown put on. I haven't had a good night since.

Don't know what's going on. All I know is that my dentist kicked a hornet's nest and it hit me in the jaw. At this point if you gave me a pair of pliers I'd pull it myself.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."
November 16, 2020, 04:38 AM
tsmccull
Bummer! Have had 4 crowns (so far) and, while sometimes odd feeling initially, they weren’t painful. I’d say a return dentist visit is in order and the sooner the better.
November 16, 2020, 06:01 AM
h2oys
Definitely go back. I have a mouth full of crowns and none of them hurt thereafter. Some did take a day or two to “feel” normal meaning I didn’t notice them anymore
November 16, 2020, 07:48 AM
molachi
I've had 3 crowns and none of them hurt at all. Go back to dentist.
November 16, 2020, 07:57 AM
ZSMICHAEL
My guess is that you need root canal therapy or it could be referred pain.
November 16, 2020, 08:35 AM
sns3guppy
I had a root canal and immediately went on the road for ten months. A new adventure in pain every time I bit down on something. During an unpressurized ride to 18,000,' something vented into my jaw and felt a pop, with a new set of issues. When I finally got to a dentist, I found that the root canal had been driven into the root of an adjoining tooth. Every time I bit down, the spike poked the live nerve on another tooth. An air inclusion under the filling vented down that path and caused issues

Each of my crowns have root canals beneath them. When one came off during a fire season a few years ago, I was stuck with the spike sticking up and little else. It ended up needing a bone graft and implant, which was nearly three years from beginning to end, and painful the whole time.
November 16, 2020, 09:11 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Bummer! Have had 4 crowns (so far) and, while sometimes odd feeling initially, they weren’t painful.

Ditto. And I'm due for a couple more in the next year or so. (I'm a stress grinder in a stressful job, so my teeth suffer.)

If you're feeling pain from your crown, something's not right. The worst I've ever had on any of mine was a little bit of extra hot/cold sensitivity for a short period immediately after install.
November 16, 2020, 09:14 AM
MNSIG
DDS (ortho) here. Definitely call.
November 16, 2020, 09:54 AM
vulrath
I'm not new to this; I've got 20-something crowns. Something definitely isn't right.

I called the dentist this morning, they called in antibiotics, steroids and pain medicine.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."
November 16, 2020, 10:30 AM
tsmccull
quote:
Originally posted by vulrath:
I'm not new to this; I've got 20-something crowns. Something definitely isn't right.

I called the dentist this morning, they called in antibiotics, steroids and pain medicine.

Good luck to you. Hope that dentist isn’t just treating symptoms and ignoring whatever the real cause is.
November 16, 2020, 10:36 AM
MNSIG
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:

Good luck to you. Hope that dentist isn’t just treating symptoms and ignoring whatever the real cause is.

That is the appropriate first treatment. The infection needs to be brought under control and pain relieved. follow up will involve x-rays and testing of the tooth to see if RCT is indicated.
November 16, 2020, 10:39 AM
jhe888
Probably an infection, but who knows. Get to the dentist.

In the meantime, Ibuprofen works best for me for tooth pain - even more than the light opiates.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
November 16, 2020, 01:22 PM
HRK
Last one I had done was fine the same day, a little sore for the next couple of days then all was well.. Didn't loose a minute of rest... Big Grin

November 16, 2020, 02:03 PM
RogB
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Last one I had done was fine the same day, a little sore for the next couple of days then all was well.. Didn't loose a minute of rest... Big Grin

loose....good one!

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself
November 18, 2020, 11:55 AM
vulrath
I was told that if it's still giving me trouble to call the dentist's office. Well, pain's gone down dramatically since starting the steroids and antibiotics, but I'm still feeling it. I'd say it's been downgraded from a hornet's nest to a bee's nest.

Called the dentist as instructed, and they set me up a visit with an endodontist at 12:45. I guessed at how this would end, and dammit I hate when I'm right.

November 18, 2020, 01:30 PM
ZSMICHAEL
I would not be happy if the Endo had to drill through a brand new crown.
November 18, 2020, 02:04 PM
tsmccull
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

“Permanent” crowns can be popped off, sometimes just by flossing (don’t ask me how I know), so it’s doubtful that’ll be required. Presumably the original work came with a quality guarantee so hopefully the op won’t have to spend a bunch more $ to get it done right.
November 18, 2020, 05:11 PM
vulrath
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Still got the temp. He just pulled it off, did his thing, put a temporary filling in, and popped it back on.

November 18, 2020, 07:47 PM
mas4363
My 90 year old Uncle just had a tooth pulled. He had pain and kept spitting out pieces of bone. He didn’t follow up and waited on an upcoming dentist appointment. Once there, He was sent straight to the ER. He had a massive bone infection.

It was bad enough that the surgeon wanted to remove his jaw and rebuild it with bone taken from other parts of his body. The operation would have taken 18 hours. His cardiologist said no way because the operation would kill him. Instead they pulled the remaining teeth on the affected lower jaw and then took the entire top of the jaw off. The surgeon said he could actually ladle the infection out like it was soup. He was in the hospital for weeks on intravenous antibiotics. He was then sent to rehab and finally back home. His daughter told me they can still see bone when looking in his mouth.

Any tooth related pain needs immediate follow up due to what infection can do the bone and the possibility of getting into the blood.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973
November 19, 2020, 07:52 AM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
Still got the temp. He just pulled it off, did his thing, put a temporary filling in, and popped it back on.

^^^^^^^^
Good for you!