SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hints from Heloise, the Sequel - "I'm SUCH a dummy..."
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hints from Heloise, the Sequel - "I'm SUCH a dummy..." Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
1. When chasing down a lighting problem on a motorcycle, check the damn bulb BEFORE spending an hour or two tracing wiring and testing switches.

2. A chainsaw cuts MUCH better when the chain is put on with the pointy parts facing the right way. It may also explain why the chain was so difficult to put on.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Clueless city slicker moves to the country and decides he needs to cut down a bunch of trees.

He goes to the local farm store and buys a chainsaw.

Goes home to his farm-ette and commences to cutting down trees.

He spends all day working at it and finally gets a small tree cut down.

He’s absolutely tuckered out, as we say around here. Worn out, hands blistered, feet aching, back and shoulders and arms hurting, sunburned, he collapses in bed.

The next morning he takes his brand new chain saw back to the farm store and tells them it’s no good and he wants his money back. He also complains how he’s worn out and aching all over from trying to use that chain saw and again he demands his money back.

The sales clerk, perplexed, calls over the service guy. Service guy looks puzzled while listening to the mans story.

Sooooooo the service man says Well let me give it a try. He flicks the switch, yanks the cord, it starts right up, and he revs it up. NINNIDY NINNIDDY VOOOM, unniddy undiddy.

The customer says Hey what is that noise?

(Most like a true story)

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Clueless city slicker moves to the country and decides he needs to cut down a bunch of trees.

He goes to the local farm store and buys a chainsaw.

Goes home to his farm-ette and commences to cutting down trees.

He spends all day working at it and finally gets a small tree cut down.

He’s absolutely tuckered out, as we say around here. Worn out, hands blistered, feet aching, back and shoulders and arms hurting, sunburned, he collapses in bed.

The next morning he takes his brand new chain saw back to the farm store and tells them it’s no good and he wants his money back. He also complains how he’s worn out and aching all over from trying to use that chain saw and again he demands his money back.

The sales clerk, perplexed, calls over the service guy. Service guy looks puzzled while listening to the mans story.

Sooooooo the service man says Well let me give it a try. He flicks the switch, yanks the cord, it starts right up, and he revs it up. NINNIDY NINNIDDY VOOOM, unniddy undiddy.

The customer says Hey what is that noise?

(Most like a true story)

First thing I thought of when I read PHP's post. Only, the version I heard many years ago had an ethnic twist.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2. A chainsaw cuts MUCH better when the chain is put on with the pointy parts facing the right way. It may also explain why the chain was so difficult to put on.

Do not feel like the Lone Ranger! Wink

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
ORrr...coming home late from a party and trying to get my damn key to open my apartment door and my neighbor next door opens the door!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make sure the trickle charger is plugged into an outlet and not just attached to the battery.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
Make sure the trickle charger is plugged into an outlet and not just attached to the battery.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
2. A chainsaw cuts MUCH better when the chain is put on with the pointy parts facing the right way.
Hey! What's that noise? (old joke Big Grin)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15477 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

ORrr...coming home late from a party and trying to get my damn key to open my apartment door and my neighbor next door opens the door!
quote:
Steven Wright:

The other night I came home late, and tried to unlock my house with my car keys. I started the house up. So, I drove it around for a while. I was speeding, and a cop pulled me over. He asked where I lived. I said, "Right here, officer."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
HAAAAAAAA! I laugh because so many things you rant about here sound like something I’d do. Big Grin

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

quote:
Steven Wright:

The other night I came home late, and tried to unlock my house with my car keys. I started the house up. So, I drove it around for a while. I was speeding, and a cop pulled me over. He asked where I lived. I said, "Right here, officer."

Now thats funny right there V!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Steven Wright:

Reminds me of another old Steven Wright joke. After a night of drinking you just get in the car turn on the key and wait for the house to pull up.

Posts: 20087 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
1. When chasing down a lighting problem on a motorcycle, check the damn bulb BEFORE spending an hour or two tracing wiring and testing switches.
How long? Confused If it has light bulbs, it must be a 12-volt battery system. The circuit only takes a few seconds to check for power and ground. Remember to have the circuit activated (switched on), of course.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
How long? Confused If it has light bulbs, it must be a 12-volt battery system. The circuit only takes a few seconds to check for power and ground. Remember to have the circuit activated (switched on), of course.

The switch for the rear brake pedal is in possibly the most inaccessible place conceivable. 45 minutes of that was spent coming up with the proper combination of tools, position, view, light and cuss words to get the sumbitch off so I could check it out.

If I had thought for 10 seconds about the readings I was getting at the bulb socket, I could have avoided all that. Just one of those days when the ol' grey matter was not up to speed.

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Have you got one of these? Power Probe (This is the basic one; one with an extension cable, cigarette lighter plug and case is a little more.) You can do all sorts of things with it, the most useful being that you can power up or ground a component to see if it works. I have even used it on starters, blower motors, power window motors, cooling fans, etc. Also, you can check for power and ground without switching any leads around.

Posts: 27930 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago a neighbor was mounting some lighting on his small aluminum boat. He knocked on the door and asked if he could borrow some drill bits, all of his were dull. I walked over with him to his house, he put one of my drill bits in his drill. He was still having a tough time drilling a hole. I then suggested that he switch the drill off of "reverse".

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
My brother asked me to look at his Sony laptop because he wasn't getting any sound. He had already checked all the settings, reloaded drivers, everything you'd need to do, and still nothing worked.

I leaned over and rotated the volume thumbwheel on the right side of the laptop.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Same bike, different issue:

Got it back together enough to run it up and down the driveway a bit. Ballsy little shit for a 400!

Noticed it didn't show any interest in lifting the front wheel which struck me as a bit odd. Thought it was just putting all it's effort into wheelspin, so I snuck out onto the pavement for a quick test.

Nailed the throttle, engine spun up, wheel stayed on the ground. Massive clutch slip. Shit.

Ordered up a kit, came in today, took the clutch apart and CHEESY RICE! I've been working on bikes, including a bunch of junkers, for more than 50 years, and I have NEVER seen a clutch so toasted:

Fortunately, a new pressure disk was WAY cheaper than I expected at < $40.

Nobody to blame but myself for not spending more time evaluating the bike, but for money I spent I should have gotten a reach-around or at least a kiss!

posted Hide Post
When I worked for Ultimate Electronics (when it was still in business) had a TV come in for repair (old school rear pro/hd). It was a nice Mitsubishi, probably paid 4 grand for it at the time, put on an aftermarket screen protector as well. We were replacing a tube under factory warranty, but they also wanted us to diagnose the blue tint as well. Come to find out they never took the blue protective film off and had been watching it for a year. Needless to say we "fixed" it for free!

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I had a car come in with a new battery but all circuits dead, no power to anything. This was a GM minivan with the stupid side terminal battery (a rant for another time). The plastic terminal protectors were still in the battery, sandwiched between the cables and terminals. How, you ask? He actually cut holes through the protectors and ran the bolts through them. This could not have been easy.

Owners of older Ford vehicles may remember the fender mounted starter relay (often incorrectly called a solenoid, including in the below picture).

I had one come in that would crank but not start after replacing this part. It would try to fire very briefly but stop as soon as the key was released. He put all the fusible links (power connections) on the starter side of the relay, so there was only power when the engine was being cranked.