SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Attack Ads
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Attack Ads Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else as fed up with these abominations as I am ? Unfortunately, the politicians have been persuaded by the ad makers that they are effective . Perhaps true, at least until the tit for tat starts and you wish a curse on both their houses and start to think seriously about throwing a brick at your TV and staying home on election day. I'm convinced that someone could win by a landslide, if they just said my opponent is a good person but I think I am a better choice and here's why. Be even better if it started a trend.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me too. Mississippi governor race Tit for Tat. No information given. Trump coming to support Tate Reeves, the Republican nominee. Tupelo, home of Elvis. Word has it.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Wait til next year. It will be ten times worse.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait till 2024, it’ll be 1000 times worse! Mad

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Ads? I don't see no stinkin ads, since I don't watch network television. When I used to, I agree, and they were already bad 10 years ago.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Surveys have long supported the belief that although people claim to hate attack ads, they are the most effective in influencing opinions. There are countless examples of what people claim to believe for various reasons and what they actually think and are affected by. I believe that one of the reasons attack ads are effective is because they more commonly address specific, tangible issues:

“Vote for Jones. He is a good father, loves dogs, served in the military, and is the experienced mayor of a large city.”
“Yeah, who says he’s a good father? Besides, I want someone to be Governor, not be my father. Everyone loves dogs, so what? I knew countless incompetent, morally bankrupt people in the military during my career; his service means nothing. Political experience doesn’t prove anything either; many politicians become experienced only because they’re good politicians. We don’t need any more experienced politicians.”

Versus:
“Clinton has been linked to countless scandals and shady deals, including Whitewater and the Russian uranium sale. She lied about Ben Ghazi and left those men to die without performing her duties as Secretary of State. She mishandled classified information in ways that would have gotten the average government worker or soldier at least fired, if not put in jail. She slandered the women who accused her husband of sexual misconduct.”

Statements like those are based far more on verifiable fact than the typical, “Jones is a swell guy,” sort. “Jones voted for Colorado’s ‘red flag’ law and its gun magazine restrictions,” tells me something very important about the man. “Jones will work to improve the housing and employment situations,” doesn’t.

Edited typo.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Ads? I don't see no stinkin ads, since I don't watch network television. When I used to, I agree, and they were already bad 10 years ago.

Yep, painless tv watching in GA. I get all of my news and current events here, ad free

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
A technique perfected by the dnc, obama and clinton. They're worse than 'polls'.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling it's done because it's been proven to work. And yes, it denigrates the reputation of the entire political system.

quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
Anyone else as fed up with these abominations as I am ? Unfortunately, the politicians have been persuaded by the ad makers that they are effective . Perhaps true, at least until the tit for tat starts and you wish a curse on both their houses and start to think seriously about throwing a brick at your TV and staying home on election day.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was tried, and the person who did it got his ass whupped. The other politicritters and their campaign managers got the message.
quote:

I'm convinced that someone could win by a landslide, if they just said my opponent is a good person but I think I am a better choice and here's why. Be even better if it started a trend.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Next year I'll have my thumb super glued to the Mute button.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
My printed Attack ad was hiding in my PO BOX. Quite funny. One candidate looks like his high school debate team picture, the other guy looks like overweight hypertensive with a modified mullet haircut. That is not Ag commissioner race, it is the Governor. Crazy

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post