SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Do You Have A Contractor That Does Great Work But...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Have A Contractor That Does Great Work But... Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
TOTALLY sucks donkey dong when it comes to simple communication such as returning a text or call? I have a roofer who did phenomenal work for me about 18 months ago and I need some more work done on a porch roof but damn this guy really is unresponsive! He came by 6-7 weeks ago and promised me a written estimate by the next day or two but I've still to see it. I've tried texting and called a couple times but nada, nothing.

I know these guys get busy but holy crap would it kill you to take a whole 60 seconds to respond to me in a month and a half?

I'm going to write this guy off and move on, it's not worth trying to chase him down like this, no matter how good he is.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is very common. Roofers as a lot are verbally challenged and have a sky high rate of substance abuse. If he does good work and it is not an emergency it may be worth waiting.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
I needed some work done on my house last fall. It was minor stuff comparatively but still enough for someone to make money on. I couldn't get anyone to call me back to do it. It took 3-4mo tha and me basically harassing someone to get it done.

My parents are trying to get a few rooms added on to their house and have the same problem. Contractors have given them some bids but now nobody with return any calls.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to get anyone to do anything. Painting, lawn work, etc. No matter what it is, it is like pulling teeth.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We had a roofer, came highly recommended; lots of tats, admitted to previous drug use but "clean".
He did a fantastic job on our roof, but then he left town--presumed back on drugs. What a shame.
And he was by far the best local roofer.

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I have a plumber who did some work for me a year ago. Last April he did a job and didn't quite finish it one day (no big deal, it was a small thing that I took care of). I called him about a week later and reminded him of the unfinished job and the bill, and he said that he'd be back out the next week and would call first. It's been a year and no call and no bill for the work he'd already done. Confused

I wonder if there is a statute of limitations on billing? Hard to imagine an otherwise stand-up guy would walk away from almost $700.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Different kind of contractors but similar issues...

I do commercial media production and my shoots can involve a crew from 5-50 and on almost every shoot I have a few guys who I have the beat over the head to get invoices from. I finally resorted to public shaming; I send out a group email letting everyone know that no one can get paid unti all invoices are in.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I've been waiting for a year on my back porch/deck to be finished. It's ridiculous. I want a railing, and corrections to the work that was done incorrectly. Good grief.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5309 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a contractor problem regardless of how good they are. I have such a hard time getting ANY contractor to show up when they say they're going to.

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Right now, you are lucky to get a contractor for remodels/house building within a 6 month-1 year period. There is shortage of contractors and surplus of work.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to find a contractor that doesn't have an addiction issue seems to be an issue around here.

We had our home rebuilt and told two different contractors to leave due to smoking dope or drinking during the work day.

Don't much care what you do after work but on this property, you'll be sober.

That caused us some issues with the insurance company but we had pics to back up what we did.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes, when I bought my house it was a trashed foreclosure. We weren't moving in for a couple of months so I hired two guys and they had a list of things to fix. Awesome job, everything was great, looked great.

Now I need some more stuff done and they wont return my calls.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Yes, we have a guy who does excellent work, is knowledgeable and very friendly, but horrible about coming over when he says he will.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
After the last downturn, many contractors and subs found other means of support. My primary supplier went from 34 employees in their warehouse to 6,devastating to the industry across the board. The survivors are busy with less help and a percolating economy. It is overwhelming.
I retired 2 years ago, moved to another state, and still get inquiry's for work from old customers with ridiculous offers.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin that without a doubt builds the best fences and decks. Straight, strong, and sturdy every time.
But you can't get him to show up to work. Took him over a month and a half to do a fence and deck expansion for us. I suggested his services to a neighbor and the same thing.
It is frustrating as I would love to suggest him to everyone as his work is second to none.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
As sunburn suggested it's the downturn that made many good contractors toss it in.

Most that survived are taking the easy gravy jobs they can make good money on. it's a tough business to be in, and most of us don't want to be bothered with the small stuff there just isn't any money in it.

Were not all a bunch of alcoholic drug users, but many customers perceive us that way.

Posts: 5590 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
and most of us don't want to be bothered with the small stuff there just isn't any money in it.

Would it kill you guys to take a whole 10 SECONDS and communicate that to us then, instead of making us chase you down?
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have a cousin that without a doubt builds the best fences and decks. Straight, strong, and sturdy every time.
But you can't get him to show up to work. Took him over a month and a half to do a fence and deck expansion for us. I suggested his services to a neighbor and the same thing.
It is frustrating as I would love to suggest him to everyone as his work is second to none.

I have one on of those relatives. Absolutely the best tile work guy I have every seen, amazing artistic ability. Neat. Has lost two shops because he works when he wants, won't call people back. We even offered to go in 50/50 for a business class at a local community college. Not sure if he's ADD or what.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As sunburn suggested it's the downturn that made many good contractors toss it in.

Most that survived are taking the easy gravy jobs they can make good money on. it's a tough business to be in, and most of us don't want to be bothered with the small stuff there just isn't any money in it.

Were not all a bunch of alcoholic drug users, but many customers perceive us that way.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Help us out with this. We help you out with letters and shit. Is there a secret to get contractors to show up when they say? I will grant you that not all contractors are addicts, but the other choices are irresponsible, lazy, incompetent, and a whole other choice of adjectives that are similar in nature. PAsig has a point return the damn calls or texts please. Any thoughts??

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I asked a plumbing contractor I really wanted to come examine and give me an estimate on replacing my copper pipes with plastic.

He did, and 6 months later , even after calling and leaving messages, he hasn't called back.

There are just a few plumbers in my area, most of the others besides the one I mentioned do sub-par work.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post