SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    YIKES! Propane prices
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

YIKES! Propane prices Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Since the wife decided to go back to an electric stove, the only propane I use is for my generator. Just got the tank topped off for the winter. $4.299 a gallon! because I don't use enough.

If I were using 1000-1200 gallons a year to heat the house, I could get it for $2.599.

Their explanation of overhead for delivering that little dab doesn't hold a lot of water with me. They were in the neighborhood anyway, it's not like they made a special trip.

Unfortunately, they've got me by the short and curlies and all I can do is bend over and smile. I don't know how the fuckers sleep at night.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Unfortunately, they've got me by the short and curlies and all I can do is bend over and smile. I don't know how the fuckers sleep at night.

Supply, demand.

BOHICA brother. Their time is your money.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Is the tank small enough that you can transport it for filling? I just filled my forklift tanks the other day at Tractor Supply for $2.59 a gallon.

I understand why the propane companies do it because I have to do it too. Let's say it cost $150 for them to roll a truck. A 1,000 gallon purchase / $150 comes out to an upcharge of .15 cents per gallon.

If they come out to fill you at 100 gallons, they need an upcharge of $1.50 per gallon to pay for their truck, insurance, driver, etc.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prepaid for 600 gallons in July for $1.79. I thought I was getting screwed...up .30 from last year. Wow.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
You can get a 100lb tank that is portable...

We used two to run our burning chimney sweep man this past weekend:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I just paid 3.09 a couple weeks ago for my 500 gal tank. But it beats what it’ll be in a few months.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I pre bought 500 gl for $1.799 also.
I had a 500 gl tank when I used my furnace and would get charged $1/yr tank lease. As soon as I put in my airtight wood stove and never run my furnace in the winter I didn't burn as much LP so they wanted to charge me $75/yr lease. I switched companies and got a smaller tank..
Bad thing is there is Natural gas 200 yds down the road but they want at least 20 homes to switch to run a line by our house and we can never get enough people on board to do it.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I paid $1.50/gal for a summer fill in my 1000 gallon tank. I contracted for 1000 gallons at $1.60/gal. I guess I didn't realize how good I have it.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paid 1.29 a week ago to top off and locked in 1.48 for 500 gallons for the winter here in the middle of Wisconsin.

Time takes time.

Posts: 84 | Registered: August 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rexles:
I pre bought 500 gl for $1.799 also.
I had a 500 gl tank when I used my furnace and would get charged $1/yr tank lease. As soon as I put in my airtight wood stove and never run my furnace in the winter I didn't burn as much LP so they wanted to charge me $75/yr lease. I switched companies and got a smaller tank..
Bad thing is there is Natural gas 200 yds down the road but they want at least 20 homes to switch to run a line by our house and we can never get enough people on board to do it.

Ha, I’ve got a main supply line running through the middle of my backyard, it’ll cost me $10k to tap into it....sigh. Said I have to go 5 houses down before I can access, but I can get a$2k discount for any of those residents who also want it.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Prebuy in our area was $2.49 this year, up from $2.19 last year.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just prepaid 1000 gallons at $1.25 for the winter here in Nebraska. Current propane price is $1.31.

Posts: 23 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: July 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
We used two to run our burning chimney sweep man this past weekend:

Didn't see that coming. Wow.
Eek Confused Smile

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
We, S.C. Chimney Sweep Guild, host a long weekend event every year on an Island on Lake Murray in September. We step out of the box with this event and not only have a 1/2 hour fireworks show (now with burning sweep man) but also one morning we hold what is called a 'stump shoot' where folks can not only bring their guns to shoot but can also shoot a number of fully automatic weapons. A few years back I got to shoot a Glock model 18... total waste of ammo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfV8HnRDH70

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I just paid $1.49/gallon

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
$1.69 here in Maryland this week. I own my tank. Propane is our backup to the heat pump (good to 36 degrees). Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you got screwed big time. There are always options. No way I am going to bend over like that for anyone. Screw them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
In MS they charge for what it is to run.
Maybe that is the way it is everywhere.
Fireplace, heaters, stoves .....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to start a separate thread on the chimney sweep.

That is AWESOME!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I might do it, but don't know which section to put it under... we not only set off the burning sweep man but also have a 30 minute fireworks display and more to this web sight... spend about 2 hours one morning shooting guns... a number of which are full auto and setting off some tanerite too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"