Find
Notify
Tools

Afrin Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
When needed, it's the greatest invention ever made by mankind. Problem is, one squirt and I'm hooked on the shit for two weeks or better before I can kick it.

I love/hate this stuff! Mad

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
That stuff is nasty! Look up the term “rebound effect.”

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have to limit myself to 3 days or less so I don't get rebound.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23194 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I have to limit myself to 3 days or less so I don't get rebound.

This right here. Rebound congestion...the more you use it, the more congested you get.

If you need to use it, limit yourself to 3 days.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
When needed, it's the greatest invention ever made by mankind. Problem is, one squirt and I'm hooked on the shit for two weeks or better before I can kick it.

I love/hate this stuff! Mad

I use to be he same way. Almost hooked on it when my nose plugged up. Then the bloody noses happen trying to off it when I dried up.
Now I do not touch the stuff, I suffer and try not to use anything.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
But it'll work when nothing else does.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I got hooked probably 25 years ago.

I had no idea that you could become addicted to Afrin. I just wanted to breathe.

After about two weeks, someone said,"Have you read the directions and warnings"?

Why no I have not.

It took another two weeks to break the addiction.

Again, I just wanted to breathe, and this stuff helped tremendously.

Since then I have never used it for more than three days in a row.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I try not to use it unless I absolutely have to--and then it really is the only thing that works.

When that happens I try to live on sudafed during the day and take my squirts of afrin at bed time. Not sure if my theory is right, but I like to think I can avoid the rebound effect for longer doing it that way. But I prefer the threat of that to the sinus infection that would come if I didn't use it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I try not to use it unless I absolutely have to...

Afrin scares me. If you spritz it into the air, the molecules are so long and complex they'll get caught in your teeth. Eek

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who used to get hooked on afrin pretty regular, we would go on a 3 day fishing trip, steal all his afrin so by the end of the trip he was unhooked !

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I had no idea about this stuff until my ENT prescribed it after I had a septoplasty and sinus surgery.

Had I known about this stuff prior to the surgery I probably would've been hooked too LOL

I now use it on occasion but no more than 2 days in a row.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Nasacort AQ, I have always suffered from allergies, almost totally destroyed one sinus cavity and have a horribly deviated septum. Nasacort AQ works well and has very little rebound. Or, if you need to use Afrin to really unplug, use Nasacort when you are coming down off the Afrin to ease the rebound.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Afrin is addictive, and the rebound is real, I've moved to Xicams pump products, the gel versions,

I use less, generally only a squirt at bedtime when needed, but it doesn't give you the Afrin burn, or beat up your nostrils inside, for me, it works.

https://www.zicam.com/our-prod...ongestion-relief.php

Posts: 23366 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
neighbor in Mesa , AZ swore up and down that his two bottle a week habit was not near addictive consumption

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Two bottles a week?

Pffft... Amateur.

Big Grin

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Yeah the stuff works great, but you definitely do not want to use it more than 2-3 days.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Quote from somebody I know: "I'm not addicted. I can quit any time that I want to."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Jokes aside, what is the nature of Afrin addiction? It's literally been decades since I used it. It was extremely effective but in all seriousness, it did scare me. I don't know why but it just seemed too complex, it felt more bad for me than good.

Do overusers get a high or what? There's withdrawal and how does that manifest itself?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Jokes aside, what is the nature of Afrin addiction? It's literally been decades since I used it. It was extremely effective but in all seriousness, it did scare me. I don't know why but it just seemed too complex, it felt more bad for me than good.

Do overusers get a high or what? There's withdrawal and how does that manifest itself?

Nothing like a high, it's a physical dependence (I guess that's what you'd call it).

The body gets used to the Afrin until it requires Afrin to keep the vessels constricted. Then when you try to stop using it, your vessels swell and your nose/sinuses are horribly stopped up.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post