SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Paid 36.00 for a car wash....they didn’t empty the trash can thing.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paid 36.00 for a car wash....they didn’t empty the trash can thing. Login/Join 
posted
Is this normal??? Had the car washed and a basic detail cleaning and vacuuming the thing. The car I was borrowing had one of those soft sided trash cans on the floor between the 2 front seats, when I got in the car it was on the back seat. Ok, I figured they just moved it there to vaccum, got back home went to put it back and it’s still full of trash....is that normal for a 36 dollar car wash???

I’m thinking of leaving a scathing review on yelp.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I went to a car wash a few months ago for a detail. Paid over $300. They didn't even clean out the channel under the windshield wipers where there were clearly visible leaves. I was pretty pissed off.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother had a solution for this. He kept a CD of rap music in the console. He'd pop it in just as the car entered the car wash. Invariably, his interior got more attention than any of the other cars. Probably works just as well today with Mariachi band CD's.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to a car wash a few months ago for a detail. Paid over $300. They didn't even clean out the channel under the windshield wipers where there were clearly visible leaves. I was pretty pissed off.

The most I have paid locally is eighty dollars for a hand wax and wash. Includes vacuuming interior, cleaning windows inside and out etc. I guess it is California prices. I know people locally that do not pay that much to have their high end sports cars detailed.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
300 is normal for a complete detail on a standard vehicle.

Wash, clay bar, polish, wax, sealer, interior surface clean, surface protectant, carpet shampoo, Windows, seals, jambs, trunk, and wheels. Engine bay detail would be extra in some locations.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Regarding the trash: Yes, it is normal for them not to throw away anything. Why would they? It's not up to them to decide what is important and what is not, and why would they even open up that can of worms for a customer to claim that something was thrown away when it shouldn't have?

Every detailer I've seen would gather up all the trash (I use the door pocket for non-food trash, like receipts and valet tickets), and leave it bundled up somehow (usually a trash bag or grocery bag) either in the back seat or in the trunk.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding the trash: Yes, it is normal for them not to throw away anything. Why would they? It's not up to them to decide what is important and what is not, and why would they even open up that can of worms for a customer to claim that something was thrown away when it shouldn't have?

Agreed. Or get accused of theft.

I'm not a detailer, but I don't touch (unless necessary to perform an operation like opening a glove compartment to replace a cabin filter) anybody's stuff, even if it appears to me to be trash. If I do I try to put it back like I found it, in some cases putting everything in a bag and leaving it on the floor. For more extensive operations on the interior of the car (for example, a heater core or air bag module), I try to have the client bag up everything and take it home with him.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
...got back home went to put it back and it’s still full of trash....is that normal for a 36 dollar car wash???

Completely SOP for most car washes.

As already stated, it avoids accusations of stealing or throwing away important papers

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I’m sure they’ve gotten more grief from throwing stuff away than leaving it.

Besides who keeps a trash can in their car? Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure if you asked nicely to please empty the trash bag they would do it.

At the place I take my cars, there is two garbage cans on each side as you pull in. Every stops there to throw away what they don't want on a quick clean.

Details always bag items and leave them in the car. A few times items I did not know were gone appeared in these bags. Smile

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
same thing happened to me ,with my little red car.

paid $36.00

had to ask them to get the leaves out of the back seat that were not in there before, had to ask them to wash the inside windshield and to vac the back dash Roll Eyes

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I do not have that problem. I wash my own car Big Grin
After reading this post I went out and washed and cleaned the car for the first time in months.
Thanks Guys Cool

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The most I have paid locally is eighty dollars for a hand wax and wash. Includes vacuuming interior, cleaning windows inside and out etc. I guess it is California prices.

Apparently, California prices are better than Gulf Coast prices because a hand wash and wax is about $50 here.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Apparently, California prices are better than Gulf Coast prices because a hand wash and wax is about $50 here.

I guess I need to relocate. What did you get for 300 dollars other than not having your trash emptied?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
As Seotaji said, it was a full detail. Wash, clay bar, polish, wax, sealer, interior surface clean, surface protectant, carpet shampoo, windows, seals, jambs, trunk, and wheels.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Not me, SOP is remove all trash from vehicle prior to car wash and put all my belongings in center console or trunk prior to wash. Even in my work van which is like a rolling office. I box everything up and leave the cabin 100% empty like it came from factory.

Here, $300 for real detail here is decent price. Simple wash, wax, vacuum, ArmorAll, tire shine is $120-$150. Hand wash and spray on, wipe off wax $80.

What really grinds my gears was last trip for wash and wax for work van, paid $180, tipped $25. Got home looked out window at my van and realized they didn't wash or wax top of van. I could have lived with not waxing, but to not wash it? WTF? Next time I go I will have to remember to ask them to include in quote the cost for washing all five sides....

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
. Got home looked out window at my van and realized they didn't wash or wax top of van. I could have lived with not waxing, but to not wash it? WTF?

You got the west coast special, as long as the rims were shiny no problem. Must be smoking that weed again at the car wash.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I guess another reason I like driving 10+ year old cars - IDGAF that they aren't pimping waxed and specially cleaned by the brain trust at the car wash.

I get the $8 drive through automatic special every other month, maybe. Usually it's a $4 DITY jobbie.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I'd say nobody based on the amount of trash I pick up along the .4 mile of two lane highway that fronts my property. Apparently I'm in the range where everyone has finished their happy meal, or the half pint of cheap vodka in a plastic bottle, or second can out of a six pack of Bud Lite.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post