SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS hasn't delivered or picked up my mail...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS hasn't delivered or picked up my mail... Login/Join 
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
Put some outgoing mail in the box. Ended up in the box next door.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A recent article blamed the polar vortex for delayed mail in the Chicago area. It made me think of an avenue of complaint that may have some effect. Apparently enough consitutents in the Chicago area contacted their Congressman who then spoke with the United States Postmaster.

I would suggest this as the next step if there is not a marked improvement. Apparently bureaucrats do respond to their Congressman. At least it seems so.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
It’d sure be nice to have a good paying, secure job, with guaranteed benefits, & no chance of getting fired, no matter how inept or lazy you are.

Until we can fire the USPS, there will be no changes.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mail carrier at the office apologized today. She had a ton of mail for me including mail order medications that showed Delivery attempted on Friday. She asked what time I closed on Friday as she suspected the sub carrier just skipped the complex. She said she would have a talk with him. I am sure it had something to do with making her job harder when you have a ton of mail to deliver on Monday.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
My wife's office is in the front of the house. She watched the mailman put the mail in our mailbox.

Later when she went to pick up the mail there was a "Could not deliver, First attempt" slip in there.

She went to the post office the next day and spoke to the Postmaster.

PM: Were you in the basement when he made the attempt? Roll Eyes

Wife: No, as I just told you I was sitting at my desk and watched him put the mail in the box.

The funny thing is that our carrier is usually very good.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
I've long given up counting on my mail being picked up from my mailbox. my mail carrier simply ignores the flag and stuffs my mail in the box on top of it and leave.

Supposedly they're not required to pick up mail but whatever...

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:

This is only true on a walking route, if the person doesn't receive mail that day.
In other words, I'm not walking up to your mailbox everyday if I don't have mail to put in the box. However, I don't know anyone who, if you can see from the street and it's not grossly out of the way (an enclosed front yard for example), that won't take out going mail. I personally reserve this rule for assholes.
If they drive up to your mailbox, they absolutely ARE required to pick it up, even if you don't receive mail that day.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:

This is only true on a walking route, if the person doesn't receive mail that day.
In other words, I'm not walking up to your mailbox everyday if I don't have mail to put in the box. However, I don't know anyone who, if you can see from the street and it's not grossly out of the way (an enclosed front yard for example), that won't take out going mail. I personally reserve this rule for assholes.
If they drive up to your mailbox, they absolutely ARE required to pick it up, even if you don't receive mail that day.

Interesting. My mailbox is right by the street and the carrier drives up to it daily. It annoys me to no end to see my mailbox stuffed full of my delivery of the day but the flag remains up with my outgoing mail at the bottom of the stack.

I guess I'll try it a few more times and see if they still ignore it, then file a complaint to the PM.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

So you don't have to pick up outgoing mail if you don't have mail for that house?

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
So you don't have to pick up outgoing mail if you don't have mail for that house?

If it's a dismounted (walking) route, correct. On a route inspection it is considered a "Time wasting practice".

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it's a dismounted (walking) route, correct. On a route inspection it is considered a "Time wasting practice".

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I love the choice of words, dismounted, as if you are riding a horse. Time wasting practice LOL.
Keeping customers happy is immaterial. The inner workings of the Postal Service are certainly something to behold.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I love the choice of words, dismounted, as if you are riding a horse. Time wasting practice LOL.
Keeping customers happy is immaterial. The inner workings of the Postal Service are certainly something to behold.

So picking up mail on a walking route is time wasting. No wonder they are going belly up.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So picking up mail on a walking route is time wasting. No wonder they are going belly up.

So is knocking on someones door to hand them a parcel. I poop you not.

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Aw, give them a break, Folks!

They are, after all, a quasi-gubbermint agency!

Recently, we had some snow fall, plows left piles along the sides of the road.

I could drive my car close enough to the mail box the reach out the window and check for mail.

Post office twit could not figure out how to get the mail into the box! I guess actually reaching out the damned car window was too much of a strain!.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
As with anything else: I imagine it's where you are and how the local operation is run.

There was a time, when we were still semi-rural, when USPS delivery could be mildly erratic. I think only once did we find it necessary to contact the Postmaster about it, and he quickly addressed the problem. (Turned out we didn't consistently have the same carriers on our route.)

For many years, though, our snailmail and USPS package delivery have been top-notch. Including package delivery to our porch, which is 100' off the road. We know our two mail carriers by name and speak with them often.

Do they never make mistakes? Hardly. Had a piece of snailmail destined for our house number, but on an entirely different street, quite a distance away, a couple weeks ago. I just stuck it back in the box and raised the flag. But that kind of thing is pretty rare for us.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
True story:

I got a card from my dentist that was addressed to someone in the next town over. So, I bring it to work and put it in the outgoing mail. Two days later it showed up at my house again.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianC:
True story:

I got a card from my dentist that was addressed to someone in the next town over. So, I bring it to work and put it in the outgoing mail. Two days later it showed up at my house again.

That's because it was keyed wrong, so it had a barcode on it, the barcode is what sorts it if you put it back into the outgoing mail.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Local news in Rich-Vegas, VA had a story on today about USPS failing to deliver and pick up mail in Church Hill. Nice gentrified neighborhood. Next to the poor folks. No response from local PO.

If an agency employs people who do not feel personal shame for a job poorly done, no amount of public shaming will fix the problem.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So is knocking on someones door to hand them a parcel. I poop you not.

I blame that on both management and the union. Management for even considering it and the union for letting them do it.

Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
I blame that on both management and the union. Management for even considering it and the union for letting them do it.

It's a business, not a service. If I told you all the in's and out's of what goes on during route inspections you'd understand why people "Go postal".