SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    At least she cleared up that slavery issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At least she cleared up that slavery issue Login/Join 
Picture of jack32586
posted
Cesar Chavez Day is a big deal in my town. Being a college town, its a huge party day.
The news interviewed a pretty 21ish white girl on the street, and this is what she said;
"I think they give us Cesar Chavez Day because they don't give us Presidents Day. Because Cesar Chavez did all that for the immigrants rights, I equate him to Martin Luther King and what he did for slavery, but Chavez did that for Mexican Americans."

Well,she cleared that right up. Also fuck the news for airing that nitwit.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just so ya know, outside of CA, or maybe just northern CA, no one know who the heck Cesar Chavez is anymore.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cesar Chavez

Taco salad dressing?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
Cesar Chavez Day is a big deal in my town. Being a college town, its a huge party day.
The news interviewed a pretty 21ish white girl on the street, and this is what she said;
"I think they give us Cesar Chavez Day because they don't give us Presidents Day. Because Cesar Chavez did all that for the immigrants rights, I equate him to Martin Luther King and what he did for slavery, but Chavez did that for Mexican Americans."

Odd, I'd have thought that 'what he did for slavery' would apply more to Lincoln (whose birthday celebration they apparently don't get off) than either of those Johnnie-come-lately folks she mentioned, both born decades after slavery had been abolished. Who knew? Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: joel9507,

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Isn't he a dog trainer?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Just so ya know, outside of CA, or maybe just northern CA, no one know who the heck Cesar Chavez is anymore.

Wish that were true. Commies everywhere, wherever they are, worship that guy.

In Pocatello, Idaho, the home of Idaho State University and the liberal hotbed of the state, just a couple of years back the commie pin-heads re-named the N-S street that runs through the ISU campus to "Ceasar Chavez Avenue".

And it doesn't surprise me that a female college student would conflate MLK with slavery. The kids have no sense of history whatsoever -- they no longer study history in grade school or high school. Things like slavery and people like MLK are just random items scattered over a cloudy past, no specific sequence and no cause-and-effect involved so far as they can discern. If you want your kid to learn history you better be prepared to teach him/her yourself.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Played The Joker on Batman, right?

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah, so it it was MLK who freed the slaves. Good to know.

(1860s... 1960s... Same difference, right?)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
These idiots vote too, which makes it even worse.
Eek

Posts: 33604 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
I equate him to Martin Luther King and what he did for slavery ....

Ah, yes, I remember it well: MLK and Harriet Tubman jumping from ice floe to ice floe across the Alabama River at Selma with Sheriff Clark and the troopers’ dogs snapping at their heels. And of course Mr. King wrote the Emancipation Proclamation for Lincoln who was just an old white Republican male who would have never done something like that on his own.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
"Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted."

-- Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, actually, he used to come up here to a small N.W. Ohio town to rile up or fire up the migrant field workers there to try and push for more and more and more, until they were replaced by machines and then there was no longer any reason to come back.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I dunno about elsewhere, but here, on Friday, the Port of Tacoma was closed for Cesar Chavez Day. It was actually pretty dang awesome, absolutely nothing happened, I was actually sort of bored at work, probably could have spent the rest of my shift playing video games.

Of course tomorrow, it'll probably be crazy as everyone will be trying to play catchup and I'll be running back and forth logging in trucks and checking empties.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
no one know who the heck Cesar Chavez is anymore.

Played The Joker on Batman, right?

Actually, I'm going with the idea he was a coffee bean picker. He was Juan Valdez's partner. You see him in many of the coffee commercials next to Juan. And you thought that was Juan's ass.

Long ago, there was a holster makers advertisement. It was captioned "Bianchi and his ass". Then down below a note, "Bianchi is the one on the right".

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Cesar Chavez

Taco salad dressing?

Nah, that is where Dodger stadium is.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
Cesar Chavez

I dropped a Cesar Chavez this morning.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you just love to sit in some classrooms to see what they are teaching these kids today?

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought he was the guy, who won a lettuce picking contest and as a result, they named the salad after him . No ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Cesar Chavez

Taco salad dressing?

You are a dirty old man. Smile

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I weep for the future of this country. Unfortunately, I'll still be around when TOTAL stupidity reigns. Right now I can just shake my head and deal with it, but in 20+ years, not so much. Mass ignorance will be the mantra of the day and zippy's dream will be reality.....America will have been transformed.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post