SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Lawnmower Maintenance Quiz
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawnmower Maintenance Quiz Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I just bought a small hand pump to reduce the need for tipping the mower. Ten bucks saved a lot of hassle, and no more spills! Amazon also had 5 air filters for 10 bucks for the mower.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
A set of blades is cheap, however once you buy a new set, keep the old ones and sharpen them. Now you can alternate each year.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I make sure I run the mower out of fuel. Then I drain the oil. Change blades, fill oil, fill gas, start.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldn't remove the blade one year. Instead, Put the front edge of mower up on a cinder block. Grind blade with Dremel tool and stone wheel.

Did this for years. Bought a new house which required lawn tractor. Same technique....just requires old bumper jack. Again, I really did try removing the blades first, just couldn't get enough access to generate enough torque.

Posts: 202 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Beats me. I forgot. My Honda mower has been sitting in the garage for about 5 years, unstarted and untouched.

Pedro does a much better looking job, in 20 minutes, than I could ever do.

I need to get rid of my mower.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I just bought a small hand pump to reduce the need for tipping the mower. Ten bucks saved a lot of hassle, and no more spills! Amazon also had 5 air filters for 10 bucks for the mower.

^^This. A oil pump is great for this. Note this is best done with a hot engine unless you're looking for an arm workout.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
Honda's manual says to tip on the side that is the same to dump the oil which is opposite of the gas. Never had an issue changing the blade if you go to the correct side.

Yep. Same here.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of ST3 Rock
posted Hide Post
Go to the store and buy the right blade.
Bring it home and hand it to the wife and ask her not to fuck up the bolt threads when tightening it.

Posts: 9283 | Location: Cecil County MD | Registered: January 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would Pedro do a few free mows for a mower? Worth a try.

My wife refuses to allow me to use Pedro, says I'll get fat if I don't work. I fooled her, got fat anyway. Changing the blade is easy. I just tell the wife to do it when she's done cleaning my guns.

I go on a beer run....hahaha in my dreams.

Posts: 17136 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post