SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Politically incorrect candles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Politically incorrect candles Login/Join 
posted
Hello- next time I'm invited to a climate change dinner, I'm bringing the candles. I found 2 sets of spermaceti candles while cleaning out my grandmother's apartment.

The last set I could find on ebay sold for $110. They are real, from Nantucket, and old. I would love to horrify some greenie.

I think we will just burn them at Thanks Giving or some other family meal while my grandmother is still with us.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took me a moment. Those have got to be rare.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are pretty rare. Maybe I can start a group called cetaceans for climate change. Global cooling has caused an obesity crisis for the whales.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The Peabody Museum in Salem or the New Bedford Whaling Museum may be interested in them.

My family has a fair bit of whaling antiques. Scrimshaw, un-cut whales' teeth, harpoons, killing lances, cutting spades, etc. I have to figure out what to do with them, as my kids have no interest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Peabody Museum in Salem

Man, we used to go there all the time when I was a kid. Some really neat stuff there.
Of course, it helped that we lived straight down 114 from there.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I don't know you, but I like you.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Oh you mean some C15H31COO-C16H33 candles. Nice find - enjoy them with grandma maybe she has a story to tell about them to pass down.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:
I would love to horrify some greenie.

I could easily see an historian, professional or amateur, regretting the destruction of the rare relics of a bygone era, but someone whose only interest is in protecting animals from unnecessary exploitation and harm today—? Are you aware of what’s commonly done with animal products like poached ivory these days? (Hint: It’s just what you’re proposing to do with those candles: they’re burned up.)

But to return to your original plan, you could make it much more effective, I believe, if you just kept the candles displayed in a prominent place and labeled them to identify their source. How ’bout something like:
“These candles were made long ago from a substance obtained from the head of a great and majestic animal—ha, ha! Too bad we can’t do the same thing today but are rather forced to rely on petroleum and plant products for the same purposes that we once relied on sperm whale oil for.”

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I am always reluctant to do irreversible things. They're not making more of them, so rather than using them up or giving them away, I like sigfreund's idea of keeping them and making a sort of display or shrine. Maybe you could ask your grandmother to say a few words about the history of those candles at a family event as a sort of dedication.

One way to make it a gift that keeps on giving (irritation to the politically correct.) Wink

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that my wife is getting involved, she is inclined to sell them. I'm not sure I want to sell them. Burning them to destroy them isn't something I would want to do.

Her other thought is to put them on display along with the sealskin Eskimo doll I was given as a baby. She likes the idea of winding up the lefties too.

They are candles, and meant to be burned. Supposedly they burn particularly bright. so if they see a spark, it would be for pleasure.

There is no real interesting story behind them, other than my grandmother bought them, and kept them in the dining room hutch. I was probably with her when she bought them, which would make them 40+ years old.

The most interesting part is that why would someone hold onto candles for so long????

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't know if they burn brighter, but it is my impression they burn cleaner.

But I think they are verging on being artifacts now. I'd save them, or give them to a whaling museum.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yargh!!

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_Boston:
Now that my wife is getting involved, she is inclined to sell them.

I would tread with caution since I believe this is a Federal issue- While it might be legal to sell them it also might be illegal to ship them across state lines. Marine Mammals etc........

I was looking into a knife with scales made from a Sperm Whale Jaw Bone. I learned a lot about sperm whales- They are amazing. I decided some things were better left alone.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think your candles are cool, esp. since your grandmother is still around. BUT

My dog recently fetched me up a piece of floatsam on the beach. I believe it may have been a small piece of Ambergris. Research quickly showed that if it was Ambergris that it is illegal to sell or possess such a thing. It may even be illegal to pick it up if you recognize it on the beach it appears. I'm not a lawyer and that shit confuses me, but naturally I tossed it back in the ocean. Be careful with the candles.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Here's an auction house website with info (except the value) on the spermy candles...

https://www.worthpoint.com/wor...-nantucket-252896780

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, probably some 50 years ago my family was into buying and selling antiques. My father bought a pair of oil lamps that still had oil in them. Lighting one he found it had whale oil in it. Said it smelled like hamburger cooking. Ever since I have thought of finding some whale oil just to see what it smells like when burning. In my searching I have yet to find any to buy.

In your case I would obviously be interested in lighting a candle just to see it and smell it. It might be a fragrance that was extremely common in New England houses 150 years ago.

I would save the candles for a special occasion, lighting one only briefly, in reference and reverence to our past.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
The Peabody Museum in Salem or the New Bedford Whaling Museum may be interested in them.

My family has a fair bit of whaling antiques. Scrimshaw, un-cut whales' teeth, harpoons, killing lances, cutting spades, etc. I have to figure out what to do with them, as my kids have no interest.

no lie, those are cool as hell. You used to use a stick to kill something that outweighed your vessal by how much? Hell I'd take'm if I was your kids.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Of course I live inland, and we never see any of this stuff. I've got to use the internet to buy Bayberry candles. Bayberries aren't marine animals. I agree with the poster who suggested lighting one on a special occasion, like Thanksgiving or Christmas. Just for a few seconds so you can experience it. Even with your family.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post