SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    They screw you at the pool store every time
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

They screw you at the pool store every time Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
I feel the same way about Pool Stores that Leo does about drive through lanes they f-you in the pool store, you go in, look for a part, if they have it the damn thing is priced like a government toilet seat cover, absurd! Online doesn't mean better either, they bend you over online too...

Pool light goes out, no big deal, a bulb which isn't a special bulb but it's $20 to $25 for a standard white bulb. Rubber seal, $15, since it's leaking, I ordered a new outer ring, $50.
If I have the pool guy show up, $100 to $180, so I get to float my fat ass in the pool.

Now if that doesn't work we need a new light, so heres that deal

New Light, standard housing 100 ft cord $389
and you'd think for $400 you'd get a bulb right, nope, another $20 for a bulb, and thats not including labor to fish the old wire through the conduit with the new wire and connect it to power. So $600 to $700 for a new basic light.

Want to go LED color? $800 for the housing with LED bulb and 100 ft of wire, before labor, plus $200 for a controller so you can have multi color led light shows for the grandkids.
So $1200 for a light, don't get me started on pool cleaners, chemicals, filters, pumps, motors, heaters.

Now I know why my dad told us kids, "pool? you don't need a pool, there's a pond and a creek right down there on old man smiths farm, he'll let you swim for free"

They fuck you in the pool store....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Pools, Boats, Horses. What do they have in common?

they will make you broke.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now I know why my dad told us kids, "pool? you don't need a pool, there's a pond and a creek right down there on old man smiths farm, he'll let you swim for free"

My Dad would have said that and more. How times have changed for the kids of today.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Fill in your pool with concrete, you won't have that problem. Eek

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Your father was a wise man.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup pools suck. Had a pool at my old house. Even though I live in Arizona I MIGHT have gotten into it once a year and upkeep just sucks you dry. I'm glad my new house doesn't have a pool

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a pool once. Just once. It was filled to capacity with asshole in-laws and their offspring and associates.
While I worked to ensure a quality experience for the freeloaders.
Filling it cost a fortune. So did everything else involving it.
Never again!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Brother in law got fed up with the constant cash out flow for his pool. A few loads of fill dirt then some top soil and his was turned into a beautiful vegetable garden. Had a great concrete pad surrounding it so he added a nice shed for the tools right there.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1351 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Just what I did -filled it with dirt. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I feel the same way about Pool Stores that Leo does about drive through lanes they f-you in the pool store, you go in, look for a part, if they have it the damn thing is priced like a government toilet seat cover, absurd! Online doesn't mean better either, they bend you over online too...

They fuck you in the pool store....

You think parts are bad? Just consider the millions of pool owners who don't know any better and buy "pool chemicals" (whichever one) without realizing that with incredibly few exceptions, they could be getting the same damned thing at the grocery store for a fraction of the cost.

I'm convinced that's where the profit center is - convincing people that they need pool-specific labeled chemicals to accomplish basic feats of elementary water chemistry that they don't even attempt to understand.

Also, shock is a verb, not a noun. I've been trying to teach my MIL that for years. She still doesn't believe me (the former pool operator & lifeguard) because the pool store (doubling down on the already overpriced chems) sells "shock", so it must be a different and magical pool chemical.

Mad

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
shock is a verb, not a noun.
quote:
shock 1 |SHäk|

noun

1 a sudden upsetting or surprising event or experience: it was a shock to face such hostile attitudes when I arrived.

• a feeling of disturbed surprise resulting from an upsetting event: her death gave us all a terrible shock | her eyes opened wide in shock.

• an acute medical condition associated with a fall in blood pressure, caused by such events as loss of blood, severe burns, bacterial infection, allergic reaction, or sudden emotional stress, and marked by cold, pallid skin, irregular breathing, rapid pulse, and dilated pupils: he died of shock due to massive abdominal hemorrhage.

• a disturbance causing instability in an economy: trading imbalances caused by the two oil shocks.

• short for electric shock.

2 a violent shaking movement caused by an impact, explosion, or tremor: earthquake shocks | rackets today don't bend or absorb shock the way wooden rackets do.

• short for shock absorber.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
They do the same thing at the drive through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um30Lbu6-nc

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
shock is a verb, not a noun.
quote:
shock 1 |SHäk|

noun

1 a sudden upsetting or surprising event or experience: it was a shock to face such hostile attitudes when I arrived.

• a feeling of disturbed surprise resulting from an upsetting event: her death gave us all a terrible shock | her eyes opened wide in shock.

• an acute medical condition associated with a fall in blood pressure, caused by such events as loss of blood, severe burns, bacterial infection, allergic reaction, or sudden emotional stress, and marked by cold, pallid skin, irregular breathing, rapid pulse, and dilated pupils: he died of shock due to massive abdominal hemorrhage.

• a disturbance causing instability in an economy: trading imbalances caused by the two oil shocks.

• short for electric shock.

2 a violent shaking movement caused by an impact, explosion, or tremor: earthquake shocks | rackets today don't bend or absorb shock the way wooden rackets do.

• short for shock absorber.

Smartass. I meant in the context of pool care. As in, "I'm going to shock the pool." (correct) vs. "I'm going to put shock in the pool." (incorrect)

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Used to work with a guy that owned a pool.

He told me it was hard as hell to sell a house with a pool, as there was a very small percentage of people that wanted one, the maintenence and the added insurance.

He was trying to sell his home back then, it had an in ground pool.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
When I was in the Navy and stationed to a shore facility. A couple of us guys rented a really nice home known as the 'pool house'. What we didn't know until we saw it, was that the pool in the back yard had been filled with rich, black topsoil and a flower garden had been planted.

Highest and best use? Flowers

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smartass.
That's what everybody says. I have no idea why.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the interwebs have helped a bit, I think a lot of pool suppliers have put the kibosh on discounting, protects the smaller retailers, not unlike what's happened to small town stores.

I do use a local Pinch a Penny (chain) mostly because the manager and guys are good, don't try and over sell you and will listen to your questions. But prices are still crazy.

Pool supplies - Costco is your friend, and I do put shock in the pool, generally the phrase around here is "have you shocked the pool yet, well get off your lazy butt and get it done"

Still its bend over the counter and insert debit card here for purchases...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Growing up in NJ we had a 40 x 20 in-ground pool. I hated that damn thing. Opening it every summer, closing it every fall. What a royal PITA.

Our pool had a light also. I moved to CO in 95. A few years later I went back home for a week or so. I noticed the pool light was no longer there. Dad said that light was a PITA and he finally decided to remove it when he had the liner replaced. Said he didn't miss it either.

Ditch the light.

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dEX_RX
posted Hide Post
Pools and boats. Never own one yourself but have friends with them!

NXGen Tactical
CZ P-09 MHS Trials #79 | P320RX-TSS | P320SCR | VP9 LE

Posts: 110 | Location: Central Mass | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Most of the field pool repair guys. Will totally do work on the side in their spare time. At my last house I got to know one of their repair guys.

When something breaks I'd call him on his cell. He'd help me fix it for a fraction of the cost.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post