SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Flu test: Positive

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Flu test: Positive Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
Regardless of anyone's opinion on the flu shot, this shit sucks. I've had a constant fever since Sunday. The cough, headaches, runny nose... Not to mention all the other symptoms. I dont recall ever having the flu. Typically ,if i got sick, it was bronchitis, in my youth. But holy hell, is the flu a different beast.

Apparently its a bad flu year, whether the shot, the weather, or viral mutations are to blame. Regardless, there are very few people in this world i would ever wish this upon.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Report This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Tamiflu is your friend.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
And bourbon.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Report This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Tamiflu is your friend.

Too late. Have to start within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Sorry you are sick. Sambucol is an elderberry extract that supports your immune system and will help even after you get sick.

You can find it at most drug stores like CVS, Walgreen, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. Make sure it looks like this since there are other elderberry products but are not the same.

https://www.sambucolusa.com/store/

It comes in tablets or liguid.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I got the flu in 2011 and it was absolutely terrible.

Hopefully you're feeling better soon!

Posts: 5070 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Take extra strength Tylenol and drink lots of fluids.

Posts: 225 | Location: WA | Registered: April 13, 2016Report This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
Don't breathe in my direction.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Report This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Tamiflu is nonsense. My colleagues and I rarely ever prescribe it. I only give it to people 70 years and above. It's expensive and shortens the course of the illness by a day maybe 2 tops if it even works at all. Flu has been extremely bad his year. I admitted a 32 year old female last week who isn't looking good. She might end up on Ecmo (cardio-pulmonary bypass) if she doesn't turn the corner soon. People who think they have had the flu before just because they have gotten a cold have no idea what the real flu is about; crazy body aches, nausea, high fevers, terrible cough, dehydration, etc... I admitted a 16 year old kid with the flu 3 days ago who had symptoms for 3 days. When I ran his labs his kidney function wasn't looking too hot. I checked a CPK and it resulted 7000! He was in full blown rhabdomyolysis heading towards kidney failure just from laying in bed for 3 days not moving and not hydrating.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Report This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Sorry you are sick. Sambucol is an elderberry extract that supports your immune system and will help even after you get sick.

You can find it at most drug stores like CVS, Walgreen, Vitamin Shoppe, etc. Make sure it looks like this since there are other elderberry products but are not the same.

https://www.sambucolusa.com/store/

It comes in tablets or liguid.

41 knows what he is talking about here. We use Elderberry gummies, available in the pharmacy at Target. Amazon also sells them. Elderberry works well.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Tamiflu is nonsense. My colleagues and I rarely ever prescribe it. I only give it to people 70 years and above. It's expensive and shortens the course of the illness by a day maybe 2 tops if it even works at all. Flu has been extremely bad his year. I admitted a 32 year old female last week who isn't looking good. She might end up on Ecmo (cardio-pulmonary bypass) if she doesn't turn the corner soon. People who think they have had the flu before just because they have gotten a cold have no idea what the real flu is about; crazy body aches, nausea, high fevers, terrible cough, dehydration, etc... I admitted a 16 year old kid with the flu 3 days ago who had symptoms for 3 days. When I ran his labs his kidney function wasn't looking too hot. I checked a CPK and it resulted 7000! He was in full blown rhabdomyolysis heading towards kidney failure just from laying in bed for 3 days not moving and not hydrating.

Haven't seen much of a season here, though the "true flu" patients always stand out.

The Tamiflu commentary is spot on.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Pour three shots of Irish Whiskey in a large cup of hot Decaf Tea.

Drink, go to bed and cover up.

You will sweat it out of you.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Report This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
And bourbon.

Even if you aren't sick! Big Grin

These threads need to contain the little fact that the poster did or did not get their flu shot this year. Just to clear the air and let others know where they come from.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Report This Post
Picture of chansen92
posted Hide Post
The FLU is nothing to ever fool around with. Couple of years ago my doctor told me that on average 35,000+ people a year die from it. Most of those are elderly folks but still that's a lot of deaths. I get a flu shot every year without fail.

Posts: 1622 | Location: owosso,Mi. USA | Registered: August 18, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're bored... read about the Great Flu Pandemic of 1918. 500 million world wide contracted with 20-50 million deaths attributed. 25% of U.S. population sick with 675,00 deaths.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
And bourbon.

Even if you aren't sick! Big Grin

These threads need to contain the little fact that the poster did or did not get their flu shot this year. Just to clear the air and let others know where they come from.

I was hospitalized last September for the lung shit I had a few times last year, and I do believe I requested the flu-shot then since I was already there anyway. However, I'm pretty sure I've been told that the flu shot this year wasn't for Influenza A and influenza A is the one going around. I was somewhat out of it, so I really don't remember if anyone ever gave me the flu shot.

My kids DID get the flu shot and they both caught the flu from me. My 3 year old's fever only lasted 2 days. My 6 year old son's lasted 4. Mine lasted 6. A doctor did say mid-january when I was asking about the flu, that it was a bad flu season, but that people who got the shot seem to be better-off than those who didn't get it. Who knows if that's just the typical flu-shot-sales-pitch or not.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Report This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
It's running its course through our family now. Spent the morning mopping up yack out of my daughter's crib, and one of my boys tested positive for it today. I guess it's just a matter of time...

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Report This Post