SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Incompetence at Advent Health Lab
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Incompetence at Advent Health Lab Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Is it really that difficult to perform the tests that the doctor has requested?

My primary care doc gives me a lab order for blood work prior to each routine visit; I take it to Advent (formerly known as Florida Hospital), they do the draw, and doc and I subsequently discuss the results.

We have had this routine for several years. The lab order never varies.

I visited the vampire last week, she sucked out a few vials of blood and I thought that all was well and ready for my appointment with the doc tomorrow (Monday).

I had a little spare time this past Thursday so I took a quick glance at the lab results via the patient portal on the website. I could not find anything about cholesterol, which is always part of the full panel that is ordered every time, including this time.

Emailed the doc's office to give them a heads-up, and mentioned that I did not know what else might be missing. The reply stated that doc will review and issue another lab order, specifically mentioning any missing tests.

Meantime, they canceled my Monday appointment in order to reschedule once full lab results are available.

Very annoying. Had to fast before the blood draw, now will have to fast again. Had to schedule work (or not work, as it is) to allow for doc visit, that will have to be done again.

So, two days of fasting instead of one, two days of screwed up work schedule instead of one, all because some ditz at the lab can not follow written orders. Am I pissed? Hell, yes!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had that happen. Sucks, too, cause I'm diabetic and fasting screws me up for a couple of days.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep sounds like it. Makes you wonder if the ditz mixes up samples sometimes. I bet you get charged twice as well unless you say something. Getting another stick would not be welcome.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of them who work there in non-medical operations. They’re both idiots in this MHR program at Rollins. One is a flaky bitch and the other is some chronically oppressed mulatto who thinks every time she fucks up or fails in life, which seems to be often, it’s because she’s half black. The flaky one works in HR, once told me she can help with a job there. Sent her resume and link to job posting and the dumb bitch replied “that’s no my department” with nothing else. No forwarding of contacts or anything.

I would trust that organization to take a sample of dog shit. They might fuck that up too. Oh yeah, that organization is paying for their education, too.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

Makes you wonder if the ditz mixes up samples sometimes. I bet you get charged twice as well unless you say something.
Medicare, so the lab would have some 'splaining to do if they tried to double charge. I'ma have a conversation with the supervisor when I go back for the second stick.

As far as mixing up samples, it's possible, but I did verify that the vials were labeled properly before I left, and the numbers that I saw on the tests that were performed, are in line with previous results.
quote:
Orignally posted by Edmond:

I would trust that organization to take a sample of dog shit. They might fuck that up too.
Quest is worse.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as mixing up samples, it's possible, but I did verify that the vials were labeled properly before I left, and the numbers that I saw on the tests that were performed, are in line with previous results.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now that is smart and being aware. I doubt that Medicare would question that second drawing of blood. Let me know. Each time you should check that the proper tests are ordered.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incompetence, in AZ it's LabCorp.

They make you sign a disclaimer that if THEY screw up, they can charge YOU for the test results.

Of course, they screw up the paperwork coding.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I know a couple of people who work there in non-medical operations. They’re both idiots in this MHR program at Rollins. One is a flaky bitch and the other is some chronically oppressed mulatto who thinks every time she fucks up or fails in life, which seems to be often, it’s because she’s half black. The flaky one works in HR, once told me she can help with a job there. Sent her resume and link to job posting and the dumb bitch replied “that’s no my department” with nothing else. No forwarding of contacts or anything.

I wouldn’t trust that organization to take a sample of dog shit. They might fuck that up too. Oh yeah, that organization is paying for their education, too.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Incompetence, in AZ it's LabCorp.

They make you sign a disclaimer that if THEY screw up, they can charge YOU for the test results.

Of course, they screw up the paperwork coding.

Had somebody do that (medical something). I redlined it out, made my initials to include date and time then handed it over. It was on like the second of four pages. Lady employed signed and I asked she add the time.

She did it without reviewing every page.

They screwed up and tried to charge me. I pointed out the redlined and how their representative accepted it by signing after me. They actually balked claiming among other things I was not allowed to change the contract and their representative wasn't authorized to accept changes.

Small claims court judge disagreed and awarded me $10K (the max) for the company's incompetence in the business world. And yes, they paid - eventually.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Now that is smart and being aware. I doubt that Medicare would question that second drawing of blood. Let me know. Each time you should check that the proper tests are ordered.
Being aware? Oh, yes. Experience has taught me that people will screw up the simplest things, so I do check every detail that I am able to. Every time. Not only on this, but wherever I can, whatever I do. That habit has saved me a lot of grief.

As far as checking that the proper tests are ordered, I do that as soon as the admin person in the doc's office hands me the lab orders. More than once, I have caught them omitting the PSA screening, but I always make sure that the orders are re-printed correctly, if necessary, before I leave the office with paper in hand. In the case of the current screw-up, the orders from the doc were correct. The putz at the lab did not follow the doc's instructions. No way I can be there to look over his (her?) shoulders; all I can do is make sure that my ID is correct on the vials, and that they have a copy of the lab order (I always keep a copy for my file).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Being aware? Oh, yes. Experience has taught me that people will screw up the simplest things, so I do check every detail that I am able to.

V-Tail looks left and right before crossing a one way street. Big Grin

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
V-Tail looks left and right before crossing a one way street.
It's a good idea to look up, too. The sky might be falling.

Actually, I have almost had a head-on collision while driving on a one-way street. I was the guy who was going the correct direction.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The story of the medical lab screw-up gets worse, as I find out more about it.

I went back today, after fasting again, to have blood drawn for the missing tests. I asked why they had not done them before.

The gal who drew the blood today looked at her computer screen and told me that there was some sort of problem processing the test the first time.

"Some sort of problem? What does that mean?"

Stonewalled silence.

"If they knew that there was a problem, why did they not contact me?"

More silence.

Blood was drawn again, I left, having told her that I expected to be contacted within twenty-four hours by the lab manager (who was not in today).

We'll see what happens.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Geez. And I thought Chick fil-a giving me mac n cheese instead of waffle fries was a problem.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Geez. And I thought Chick fil-a giving me mac n cheese instead of waffle fries was a problem.
That, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Did ya get to ChickyFilya and get a bagel n egger afterwards?

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I got a message from a "prestigious" midwestern university medical center, wanting to followup a blood in urine test. I told them they didn't do a urinalysis. They said we'll retest. No blood in urine.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The gal who drew the blood today looked at her computer screen and told me that there was some sort of problem processing the test the first time.

"Some sort of problem? What does that mean?"

Stonewalled silence.

"If they knew that there was a problem, why did they not contact me?"

More silence.

I'd be on the doc to get answers, and advise, and let him/her that I'd expect some to learn what went on, before getting any more referrals to that lab.

Labs can stonewall customers, but they live on referrals from docs. The doc will get the straight story.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:

I'd be on the doc to get answers, and advise, and let him/her that I'd expect some to learn what went on, before getting any more referrals to that lab.

Labs can stonewall customers, but they live on referrals from docs. The doc will get the straight story.
Not a referral from the doc. His office just emails the order for lab work to me, I can take it to any lab that I choose.

I have used this lab many times in the past with no problems. I chose it because
  • It is not Quest (they kept me sitting on my kosher ass in the waiting room for three quarters of an hour past my appointment time).

• Location, location, location. It is on the main road between home and work, and adjacent to multiple fast food restaurants, which is good, because I have to fast prior to the blood draw and I want to eat ASAP.

• It is affiliated with Advent hospital (formerly known as Florda Hospital), which is where I prefer to go if I need hospitalization or ER. My primary care doc has ties to that hospital network. The online Patient Portal ties everything together.
So, it is a convenience thing. Note that his particular location is a "doc in a box" outpost. I used to go to the outpatient lab at the actual hospital, but access to that was cut off because Virus. The hospital location might be open again, I'll check that next time I need lab services, and go there if it's available.

Something that really sucks -- they seem to do everything possible to hide the contact information for everybody on the higher levels of the food chain, so yes, that helps them stonewall customers.

Failure to notify a patient of a problem is probably not something that a state regulatory board would see as a big problem, so it would likely just be spinning my wheels to initiate a complaint. They would probably look at me as a Karen.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm finding incompetence more and more places these days.

Sooner or later I may even get used to it, but I hope not.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post