SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "It don't take me long to look at a horse shoe" or Shop Blunders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"It don't take me long to look at a horse shoe" or Shop Blunders Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Making a doo-dad for the shop. One part I needed is a crank arm out of 1/4" round stock with a 90° bend in each end.

Marked out the spot, chucked it up in the vise and got the first end glowing with the torch and bent the 90 in it.

Very carefully flipped it over, aligned things so the bends would be in the same plane, and heated it up.

And promptly grabbed it by the hot end to make the other bend...

Not bad reaction time for an old fart tho, I let go of it fast enough that all I got was a shiny spot on the pad of my pointer finger.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Done similar myself, several times. Usually involving a well and recently used drill bit.

I always heard it as "...a hot horseshoe." LOL

Posts: 1552 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
As my dad would say whenever we dropped a hot pan, plate, or bowl in the kitchen - “it had instructions on it, eh?”

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Last winter, I was changing the oil on my Suburban in our unheated garage. I decided to do it hot, because if you don't and it's zero degrees out, it takes forever for the oil to come out, plus the warm engine and exhaust add some warmth to the garage. I say this to make it clear...this was a conscious decision, I knew everything was hot.

So we got home from church, I crawled under the truck, and proceeded to take out the plug. Everything was going well until I tried to slide myself back out from underneath. I reached up, grabbed the catalytic converter with both hands, and pulled. Needless to say, I let go very quickly, and some not very church appropriate words were uttered. I had some good burn marks and tender palms for a few weeks to remind me that I am indeed an idiot.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying you guys are 11 year old girls, but I'm constantly reminding my daughter to slow down just a half of a second and think about what she's doing before she does it. I also believe I might have heard that myself a time or two from my grandfather.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
Everyone who picks up tools and works on things has scars from cuts and burns. I call them character marks from a life well lived.

That sounds better than a 64 year old idiot that continues to relearn the same lessons.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I'm not saying you guys are 11 year old girls, but I'm constantly reminding my daughter to slow down just a half of a second and think about what she's doing before she does it. I also believe I might have heard that myself a time or two from my grandfather.

Sounds like my dad's occasional admonishments to "pay attention to your surroundings".

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
When I was a wee kiddo, I used to hang out in the kitchen/dinette with my Mom and Dad after they got home from work and mom was cooking.

One day, Mom decided that all the verbal warnings to me were over and a lesson was what was needed. So, she watched me reach for the hot oven without saying a word. The lesson was painful and rapid finished with an "I told you so" from Mom. I have have often wondered if Dad was able to get fingers in his ears in anticipation of the yelp I let out.

The lesson stuck. In the ensuing years, I have given myself any number of lessons in safety resulting from "rapid and painful". LOL

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
As my dad would say whenever we dropped a hot pan, plate, or bowl in the kitchen - “it had instructions on it, eh?”

The old machinist who lived across the street used ask “was it heavy?” Big Grin

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Another old machinist I worked with used to say, "Just leave that anywhere."

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Another old machinist I worked with used to say, "Just leave that anywhere."

I like that. Big Grin

Some of these quips definitely deserve to live on, lol.

Posts: 17054 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
My friends' dad, an old rancher, always says 'didn't take you long to look at that.'

I finally really get it, only just now. Though I have done it many times myself over the years. He was also a restorer of tractors, like show quality if there is such a thing. And I think there is.

SigForum, you learn something new almost every day.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7230 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have a pressure washer with a 13 HP Honda engine on it.
The muffler is a big square right on top of the engine where it just falls natural to rest one hand as I reach down to hit the kill switch with the other hand. The kill switch is only about a foot off the ground. Yes, guess I'm a slow learner, roasted my palm 3 or 4 times on that thing. But terrible design... the damn kill switch should be on top of the engine so you don't have to bend way over to reach it. Maybe it is made worse because I'm left handed but I'd like to kick some design engineer square in the taint. Hard. With my steel toe boots on. Multiple times.

If I used it often I'd remember I guess but I rarely use it. I have decided I need to add an extra shield or something.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4117 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
He was also a restorer of tractors, like show quality if there is such a thing. And I think there is.

Yes, there is. For some unfathomable reason, it's particularly popular with the John Deere crowd. There are many examples where the paint job alone cost more than I would spend on the entire project.

Sort of eludes me. For very rare models or "Serial Number 1" of a given model, maybe. But there were approximately eleven-teen bazillion John Deere Model A's built. Restoring one to the point where you don't dare sit on it, much less use it, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Their money and time, of course...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post