SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Women working retail...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women working retail... Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
I will say that if I hold a door for a male, I get an acknowledgement almost universally. Women will ignore the courtesy more than half the time.

My experience is similar. Men are also more likely to hold the door for me as well. Older women (maybe 40+?) do normally show appreciation for holding the door for them though. But whatever, I only do it cause that's how I was raised.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
... Women will ignore the courtesy more than half the time.
That's a prime opportunity to embarrass them by saying "oh, you're welcome". What can I say? I collect dirty looks. Big Grin
Yeah, I have done exactly the same thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will say that if I hold a door for a male, I get an acknowledgement almost universally. Women will ignore the courtesy more than half the time.

ditto,

however I have had a handful of females hold the door for me,

at the post office, with my arms loaded with boxes,

honestly tho, it may just be the OP,

working retail, cashiers, male and female, read body language and facial expressions,

you may be giving off some type of visual clue or vibe that makes them not want to chat you up,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
..honestly tho, it may just be the OP,

working retail, cashiers, male and female, read body language and facial expressions,

you may be giving off some type of visual clue or vibe that makes them not want to chat you up,

You mean, they must think I'm an ugly evil bastard? Someone has talked to my ex wives, who LIE.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Everyone is pretty chatty here in the Yoop.
Unique experience:
A waitress recently referred to me as "Doll".
I am still hot, apparently.

Smile

If someone hauled that term out in my presence, I'd have to assume they'd mis-placed their bifocals.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get your nails did and carry a cute bag and they'll chat up a storm.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Grumpy, who knows maybe they are LBGTO

As for door holding, I"ve had both results, thank you from guys almost 100%, and I always say thanks, even have had women hold the door when my arms are full.

Usually the ones that say nothing are younger,

I figure that they didn't get a proper education on manners from their elders, or they just don't think it's important.
I don't do the "you are welcome bit", using the "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything" rule.

But that rule doesn't say my fingers can't accidentally slip off the door early Big Grin

Nothing better than a door frame as an attention getter.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
The thing that bothers me most is they only have two or three regular check lanes running and they are stacked out to the aisles and the people checking are as old as Noah's ark and twice as slow and the management makes no attempt to open another lane.

I know some are thinking why not use the self check lanes; well I see no reason to pay the prices I am paying for their products and then have to pay them for not doing their jobs by using a self check lane.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
I'm up to 6 for the last year. I'm counting the times I can get through a drive thru without any face to face verbal interaction. I cheat a little by holding the money out so they don't have to ask for it. I'm usually tripped up by what must be a mandatory "have a nice day". I count that even though eye contact isn't made.

The flip side is Dutch Brothers Coffee. Their policy requires them to chat you up while you wait. Sometimes its worse, trying to make small talk with an 18 year old.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lcbjr77:
I've come to conclusion that being called "Sir" is going to happen being 40 and grasping on to the little hair I have left.
================================
Try that when you are EIGHTY!!!!!!
======================
On the flip side I do have to say I do look like a young fat kid when I shave off my
=======================================
I can't even say that. Mrs. Elk won't let me grow any kind of beard, mustache.
=======================

goatee/stash.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I generally loathe trying to make fake conversation in checkout lines. Worse is when dumbass punks INSIST on carrying out my groceries. I tell them that I’ll bring the cart back and they DON’T have to carry them to my car. I guess the older I get the grumpier I get. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
I generally loathe trying to make fake conversation in checkout lines. Worse is when dumbass punks INSIST on carrying out my groceries. I tell them that I’ll bring the cart back and they DON’T have to carry them to my car. I guess the older I get the grumpier I get. :-)

I know some groceries where theyd be fired for not carrying them out

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:

I know some groceries where theyd be fired for not carrying them out

Not at this store, the MOST annoying ones are still there!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Stop wearing that "Ted Bundy was Framed" tee shirt.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Everyone is pretty chatty here in the Yoop.
Unique experience:
A waitress recently referred to me as "Doll".
I am still hot, apparently.

It's hard to avoid chatting at least a little with every retail/reception/customer service person you interact with around here.

The other day I had a receptionist tell me to 'take care, sweetie'. Which wasn't that unusual.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Maybe it’s how you part your nostril hairs? Just saying Wink

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Ive tried the penis hanging out thing, too much shock and awe. I’m just realizing finally I am pretty much middle aged. Still have plenty of hair on my head though. There is the girl at Starbucks that knows me by name an says “hello Michael” when I’m at the order intercom. My wife was impressed with that. “You’ve got a girlfriend at Starbucks!” she giggled.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
My experience is similar. Men are also more likely to hold the door for me as well. Older women (maybe 40+?) do normally show appreciation for holding the door for them though. But whatever, I only do it cause that's how I was raised.

That's how I was raised as well.

Some years back though, I was walking into the post office and reached back to hold the door (a big heavy glass door) for a young woman who was behind me about 20-30 feet. When she saw what I was doing, she launched into a tirade about how she was perfectly capable of opening a door by herself and the she wasn't some helpless woman, blah, blah, blah. I didn't hear the end of her rant as I had let the door go and she walked right into it.

I can't stand feminazis.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
^ Big Grin I would like to have seen the door hit her..

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Ahahah priceless. If they are that far away I don't usually hold the door unless we make eye contact and if they smile I wait if I get a zombie stare I just let go of the door and go about my day. Even I have my limits Big Grin

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post