SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Women working retail...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women working retail... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
My experience is similar. Men are also more likely to hold the door for me as well. Older women (maybe 40+?) do normally show appreciation for holding the door for them though. But whatever, I only do it cause that's how I was raised.

That's how I was raised as well.

Some years back though, I was walking into the post office and reached back to hold the door (a big heavy glass door) for a young woman who was behind me about 20-30 feet. When she saw what I was doing, she launched into a tirade about how she was perfectly capable of opening a door by herself and the she wasn't some helpless woman, blah, blah, blah. I didn't hear the end of her rant as I had let the door go and she walked right into it.

I can't stand feminazis.

Yeah, Feminazis can do everything by themselves..

Until the car won't start. Car has a flat tire. Sink has a minor leak. Drain is clogged. Computer has a virus, etc....

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
Can't say I really chat anyone up, but I do know that some waitresses at restaurants I frequent became more chatty/friendly after they saw me there with my wife. You would have thought the wedding ring was enough of a clue, but I guess not. I guess, for whatever reason, I wasn't 'safe' enough before, but knowing I'm married decreases the chances I'm after dat booty or something. Not really sure as I've never asked any of them about it. Now, other ladies have been friendly since day one, so it sure isn't universal.

It does seem that the younger they are the more scary I appear to them. It seems like it is more than simply being too old for them to be interested, and more that I'm now juuuust the right age to be a serial killer. Given all the horror stories young ladies hear these days, I can't say I blame them too much. I'm still polite and say my please and thank you's, but often they just give the register the thousand-yard-stare. It's ok though, I don't find pudgy, middle-aged, white dudes attractive either!

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Courtesy, such as holding doors, thanking cashiers for their assistance, etc. isn't about the response I get, it's about who I am and how I was raised.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It seems that the left explained that being empowered / wanting respect means being an asshole to everyone.

I see it and I can give 2 shits about it. Fuck them.

They don't understand that to get respect, you have to give respect and be competent at your job.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Inusuit:
Courtesy, such as holding doors, thanking cashiers for their assistance, etc. isn't about the response I get, it's about who I am and how I was raised.

Right?!

I’m not worried about impressing anyone, but I’ve recently discovered that calling someone “sir” is considered “microagression”. That word is pretty much automatic and out of my mouth before I can catch myself. So far, nobody seems to have taken offense..not even the gals.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:

Some years back though, I was walking into the post office and reached back to hold the door (a big heavy glass door) for a young woman who was behind me about 20-30 feet. When she saw what I was doing, she launched into a tirade about how she was perfectly capable of opening a door by herself and the she wasn't some helpless woman, blah, blah, blah. I didn't hear the end of her rant as I had let the door go and she walked right into it.

I can't stand feminazis.

Being 60-mumble, holding doors for the ladies (or gentlemen so encumbered as to make it difficult to get the door themselves) is automatic.

But, I'm also a dyed-in-the-wool asshole and have poor impulse control. I haven't been on the receiving end of a feminazi rant, but if I ever am, odds are about 100% that they'll get "Well, excuse the fuck out of me for being a gentleman!"

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
..honestly tho, it may just be the OP,

working retail, cashiers, male and female, read body language and facial expressions,

you may be giving off some type of visual clue or vibe that makes them not want to chat you up,

You mean, they must think I'm an ugly evil bastard? Someone has talked to my ex wives, who LIE.

Well, they wouldn't know you are evil unless they talked to your exes. So they are half right?

Wink

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It seems that the left explained that being empowered / wanting respect means being an asshole to everyone.

I see it and I can give 2 shits about it. Fuck them.

They don't understand that to get respect, you have to give respect and be competent at your job.

Roger that.

Respect is a thing powerfully drawn out by gentle consideration.

The thing that many mistake for it is intimidation.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
I have skits I run on them. Old, young, pretty, not-so...I try to make their day.

I pretend they're someone I know from a long time ago - "There you are!" Then I insist I know them from somewhere...that bungalo in Italy, a beach in Florida, band camp in Indiana...

If they are looking unhappy, I insist on a smile - or I'm calling the manager to complain about their unenthusiastic service. Never fails. Cheer them up. Make them laugh. Get them outside themselves.

Dumb and Dumber - I immediately ask them if they're married. If yes, I tell them I missed my chance - but keep me in mind. If no - I ask them if they're in need of a husband. How quick they can be packed for Vegas..."So there's a chance?" Make them blush.

The best move is to talk about THEM. "You look tired. When do you get off shift? Wow, 2 more hours. You'll make it!" Ask about their hair, tattoo, derms, the pins on their uniform, their fingernails. Pick a physical feature and be intrigued by it. Not flirting, sincere interest. Women LOVE to be noticed. It's called ATTENTION and they live for it.

Feed that and they remember you - and you will always get improved service.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post