SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    You rear-ended me, thanks for waiting for the cops to show...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You rear-ended me, thanks for waiting for the cops to show... Login/Join 
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted
"I'm late picking my daughter up" Well you hit me, gonna have to wait for the police to show up. And no, I wasn't a dick about it. And I've got his plate #, and since he pulled over in front of me , I most likely captured his miscreant visage & vehicle on my dash cam. If I'm sore tomorrow, going to the doc. I HATE irresponsible scumbags! Mad

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Why wait until tomorrow?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Why wait until tomorrow?

I'm tired from 3 days training out of town.

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm not saying you're not rightfully upset. Without knowing all the details, I might have given you my DL, insurance and contact info and then may have prioritized my daughter as well (for example, if she was 6 years old, waiting alone in the evening at elementary school in a not so great area).

But if he didn't even provide at least some minimal due diligence, isn't that basically a hit-n-run?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe it depends on state, but I'm pretty sure if one of the parties in accident requests that the cops come out and fill out police report both parties have to wait on police regardless if they exchanged information. Now if both parties agree to swap info and go on their way then I don't believe it's a big deal...

But I'm not an attorney so I could be completely mistaken I'm sure there's a lawyer... or even a police officer in the forum that can correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Did you get contact & insurance info?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
Just happened to me. The other guy claimed I cut him and he rear ended me, he was calling the cops. We wait and all they do is make you exchange information. No reports are done. We wasted 20 minutes because the guy was a moron. His insurance paid the claim, no fuss, no muss.

Posts: 1359 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
NJ only requires that the mva over $500 be reported to the DMV. If a police report is taken, this is not required.

quote:
39:4-129. (a) The driver of any vehicle, knowingly involved in an accident resulting in injury or death to any person shall immediately stop the vehicle at the scene of the accident or as close thereto as possible but shall then forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene until he has fulfilled the requirements of subsection (c) of this section. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary. Any person who shall violate this subsection shall be fined not less than $2,500 nor more than $5,000, or be imprisoned for a period of 180 days, or both. The term of imprisonment required by this subsection shall be imposed only if the accident resulted in death or injury to a person other than the driver convicted of violating this section.

In addition, any person convicted under this subsection shall forfeit his right to operate a motor vehicle over the highways of this State for a period of one year from the date of his conviction for the first offense and for a subsequent offense shall thereafter permanently forfeit his right to operate a motor vehicle over the highways of this State.

(b)The driver of any vehicle knowingly involved in an accident resulting only in damage to a vehicle, including his own vehicle, or other property which is attended by any person shall immediately stop his vehicle at the scene of such accident or as close thereto as possible, but shall then forthwith return to and in every event shall remain at the scene of such accident until he has fulfilled the requirements of subsection (c) of this section. Every such stop shall be made without obstructing traffic more than is necessary. Any person who shall violate this subsection shall be fined not less than $200 nor more than $400, or be imprisoned for a period of not more than 30 days, or both, for the first offense, and for a subsequent offense, shall be fined not less than $400 nor more than $600, or be imprisoned for a period of not less than 30 days nor more than 90 days or both.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
Maybe it depends on state, but I'm pretty sure if one of the parties in accident requests that the cops come out and fill out police report both parties have to wait on police regardless if they exchanged information. Now if both parties agree to swap info and go on their way then I don't believe it's a big deal...

But I'm not an attorney so I could be completely mistaken I'm sure there's a lawyer... or even a police officer in the forum that can correct me if I'm wrong.

State dependent. Here one only needs to hang around if there are injuries. As long as you leave your identifying information and insurance info you are free to leave even if the other party wants the police.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Happened in Oldham County KY. Cop was very professional. He said if the guy doesn't report it, it's considered hit & run. Dashcam overwrote the video, but my ins co searched the plate number, truck belongs to a business. They left messages on 2 numbers attached to the plate.

-Bomber Harris

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigLaw:
Just happened to me. The other guy claimed I cut him and he rear ended me, he was calling the cops. We wait and all they do is make you exchange information. No reports are done. We wasted 20 minutes because the guy was a moron. His insurance paid the claim, no fuss, no muss.

Yup, a rear end is a rear end. The only thing that might change that is if he had you on video cutting him off then slamming the brakes or something along those lines.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
How big is the memory card in your dash cam?

Or how much driving do you do?

With my daily routine, I get about three days on a 32gb card.

I know my cheap dashcam has a way to lock a file but if anything happens, but I just pull the card. I keep spare memory cards in the car.

I recorded a crash while in Toronto last fall and just copied the files to a smaller microSD card and gave it to the OPP officer.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Happened in Oldham County KY. Cop was very professional. He said if the guy doesn't report it, it's considered hit & run. Dashcam overwrote the video, but my ins co searched the plate number, truck belongs to a business. They left messages on 2 numbers attached to the plate.

Dash cam overwrote the info? How long were you waiting until reviewing it?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Police called me back, if the owner of the truck doesn't respond, hit & run charges will be filed.

-Bomber Harris

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I hope you have good uninsured/under-insured coverage.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
NJ only requires that the mva over $500 be reported
Is there any such thing as an accident with less than $500 damage?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sucks about the dash cam. What is point of even having one if you can't rely on it in a situation like this?

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
NJ only requires that the mva over $500 be reported
Is there any such thing as an accident with less than $500 damage?

Not many at all in NJ at least. Unless it were tiny damage to just a bumper cover or just a headlight, but even then, not likely at all.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post