SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stupidity At The Credit Union
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupidity At The Credit Union Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
There have been cases where a third party deposits money into an account to create a false relationship with someone to cause legal problems.

Also, when a deposit is done, no balance information can be given to the depositor without proper identification that shows that there is an account relationship.

Posts: 2069 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These cases are generally avoided with a simple sign that states the policy of the Credit Union. I think most would agree that todays tellers do not understand banking laws, cannot figure compound interest and have barely acceptable social skills.

Posts: 2909 | Location: MS GULF COAST | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Mom has a checking account and I'm on it as well . The other day she lost her Debit Card . I went to the bank to tell them to kill that card and reissue her another . To start with , the bank can't do anything . You have to call the card services people AND they would not take any action without talking to her . " But I'm on the account " . Nope . Doesn't matter that I could write a check and clean out her account , but by God I won't cancel her Debit Card in an emergency .

Posts: 1401 | Location: The deep South | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

Also, when a deposit is done, no balance information can be given to the depositor without proper identification that shows that there is an account relationship.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

This happened to me and this is the explanation I got. And it actually make perfect sense. Furthermore, If your teller isn't doing this they are not properly protecting your account, and almost certainly violating policy and maybe even banking regulations.

Deplorable before deplorable was cool!

Posts: 1689 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.
Nope. DEFINITELY NOT the reason at my credit union. The deposit receipt just shows the amount of the deposit. No new information here, the customer already knows the amount of the deposit, since s/he is making the deposit.

If you want balance information, that is a separate request, and that is not given unless either a) the teller knows you, or b) you show ID.

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Maybe the teller is flirting with you and checking to see if you live in good neighborhood.

Posts: 3592 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Maybe the teller is flirting with you and checking to see if you live in good neighborhood.
Right. Good looking young teller flirting with 81 year old Geezer. It happens to me every day. Smile

A mind is a terrible thing.

Posts: 17574 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
V-tail,
The biggest focus for banks right in transaction reporting is AML, in that, the primary concern is human trafficking. Human trafficking is third behind drugs and illegal arms sales in the world. It is an estimated 150 billion a year. What it leads in is sophistication of how it is transacted. Banks and law enforcement are finding that by monitoring bank transactions for required reporting they can compile the data and trace trafficking. Human trafficking uses small deposits, withdrawls that add up to large sums. They are using fake buisness accounts, or simply piggybacking on active buisness via employees. IE employee is a runner for x trafficker,
traficker sells girl for 90 bucks (average in the world),
He has runner two buy 90 dollar item from store.
Runner 2 returns it later that day/week for cash.
runner 1 does the return. (this is a over simplification, but here is another.)

Bad dude sells 30k of ladies/kids in a month. He needs to launder the money.

Not to get too far off topic:

Sex trafficking is overstated by a factor of 100. As in, out of 200 arrests of sex workers, less than two are actually trafficked
by being unwilling/underage, the rest are doing it voluntarily. Almost all actual human trafficking in the US is farm workers, which is completely ignored by the government.

... Chad

Concealed Carry for Newbies - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J0DHX0M
http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper!

Posts: 434 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post