SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Muscle spasms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muscle spasms Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I've been overdoing it for a couple weeks with Spring projects, boat prep, etc. leaving me with some muscle spasms that literally make me grunt out loud and freeze for a second to let it unwind when they happen. One area is about midway up the right side of my back and the other is the the back right side of my neck. Neither feels like a spinal or disc issue, but strains of the muscles.

Anyone have any tips for something other than ibuprofen that helps? I already have a routine Dr. appt. next week. If not resolved, I'll mention it to him.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Bananas. Bananas help with muscle spasmery. And if they don't, you'll be too busy on the toilet to worry about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Try drinking more water. It can be caused by mild dehydration. I know this by experience.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a magnesium supplement?

https://draxe.com/magnesium-supplements/

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hands have been clamping shut on a regular basis, like a tight grip, I have to use one hand to get the other hand straightened out.

tried bananas, magnesium but neither worked,

I am on a low salt diet, but the nephrolagist, the g.p. and the urologist say that the lack of salt would not do that

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rub some coconut oil on and then some Herbal Adjustment on afterward.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Try lying on a firm exercised bolster and slowly stretching out your back. Lay on it so the bolster goes along the length of the spine and slowly rock from side to side. This has helps me.

The neck problem I have not found a way to fix yet. Maybe getting rid of my smart electronics would help.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I take a magnesium supplement nightly and atleast two bananas a day.
I had the same thing happen weeks ago.
The bananas will make you race to the bathroom.
Save the peels,great for garden when planting tomatoes along with Epson salts in the hole.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take calcium lactate.

Posts: 57 | Registered: November 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Hydration, potassium and stay away from lactic acid. It pays to read ingredients! Cramps and muscle spasms.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5297 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
First, make sure that you are adequately hydrated. For years I thought that stretching and hydration were enough for me after workouts. I had chronic issues with my left Achilles tendon swelling and hurting all the time to the point where I had a limp. It wasn't until I started cramping badly in my calves, hamstrings and quads that I discovered the the need for electrolytes and Trace Minerals' "40,000 Volts" product. Not only did it eliminate my muscle spasms but my issue with my achilles went away immediately and I've never had it again. I have no muscle spasms as long as I take this stuff it has everything that I needed to address the issues. Like most supplements, it tastes bad so mix it into juice if it is real bad to you.

If you do not already have issues with any of the ingredients, I see no reason why you shouldn't try this as a solution. The results and benefits for me or nothing short of miraculous and I have no connection with this company whatsoever. Good luck.

I get mine at a local heath supplements store but Amazon is a source as well.

https://traceminerals.com/40000-volts/

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
I take a magnesium supplement nightly and atleast two bananas a day.
I had the same thing happen weeks ago.
The bananas will make you race to the bathroom.
Save the peels,great for garden when planting tomatoes along with Epson salts in the hole.

It's probably the magnesium making you race to the bathroom. Remember good old Milk of Magnesia ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Bananas. Bananas help with muscle spasmery. And if they don't, you'll be too busy on the toilet to worry about it.
Dates. The fruit kind, not the romantic encounter kind (although there's nothing wrong with that).

Dates have a lot of potassium. I like them better than bananas.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Will Magnesium Become the Next Vitamin D?

By William Faloon

Vitamin D has emerged as a nutrient with astonishing value in disease prevention. Its low cost enables virtually everyone to supplement with enough potency to obtain broad-spectrum benefits.

Magnesium has similar attributes since it provides robust health effects, costs very little, and most Americans don’t get enough.

The best way to summarize vitamin D is that people who are deficient suffer more degenerative illness and premature death. The same holds true for magnesium.

Scientists recognize magnesium mostly as it relates to protection against cardiovascular disorders. Higher magnesium intake is associated with reduced risks of sudden cardiac death,1-3 stroke,4-6 type II diabetes,7-9 asthma,10 metabolic syndrome,11,12 heart disease,13,14 hypertension,15-19 and osteoporosis.20,21

What few publications discuss are findings showing cancer risk reductions in those who ingest higher amounts of magnesium.22-24

The challenge when assessing dietary magnesium intake is the inconsistency of the amount of magnesium contained in food.

Magnesium is not manufactured inside plants like disease-fighting polyphenols. This means the quantity of dietary magnesium is largely dictated by the amount of magnesium in the soil the food is grown in, or the mineral content of the water one drinks, both of which are highly variable.

In a landmark human study, there were marked reductions in pancreatic cancer risk in those who ingested higher amounts of magnesium primarily in dietary supplements. Other studies show colon cancer risk reductions in response to higher magnesium intake.

The totality of evidence supporting magnesium’s systemic benefits may soon transform this mineral into the next vitamin D as far as widespread public use is concerned.
magnesium

This is great news for Americans, who face a phalanx of degenerative disorders that magnesium has been shown to protect against. It’s regrettable that it has taken so long for this realization to manifest.

Before the sun sets today, about 145 Americans will learn they have pancreatic cancer.25 It will likely be the worst day of their lives.

There are no “good” treatment options. The newly diagnosed cancer patient faces a litany of “bad” choices that are unlikely to be curative, but will inflict horrific side effects.

In recognition of lack of curative therapies, Life Extension Foundation® is funding clinical studies aimed at identifying better treatments for this malignancy that kills more than 40,000 Americans every year.25

Until a treatment breakthrough emerges, the best way to avoid becoming a casualty of pancreatic cancer is to not develop it in the first place.
Diabetics at Higher Risk for Pancreatic Cancer

A high percentage of pancreatic cancer patients also have type II diabetes.26-28 Research has shown that about 80% of pancreatic cancer patients had diabetes or glucose intolerance upon their cancer diagnosis.29,30

These findings support current research showing elevated cancer risks in people with higher blood glucose levels.31 In response to excess glucose, more insulin is secreted, which in turn fuels growth of malignant cells.32

An interesting finding we reported several years ago showed that type II diabetics that used the drug metformin had a 62% lower pancreatic cancer risk compared to those who had not taken the drug.33 One of metformin’s properties is to improve insulin sensitivity by activating a cell-energy enzyme, AMPK.34

The risk of contracting type II diabetes is lower in those with higher intakes of magnesium. A meta-analysis of human studies found that for every 100 mg increase in magnesium intake, risk of developing type II diabetes decreased by 15%.7

This understanding has led researchers to investigate whether people who consume more magnesium have lower pancreatic cancer incidence.

Higher Magnesium Intake Lowers Pancreatic Cancer Risk

A landmark study meticulously evaluated data from a large group of adults and found that a modest increase in assessed magnesium intake from a combination of diet and supplements resulted in profound reductions in pancreatic cancer risk.35

What struck us about this study’s findings is that it did not require a large amount of additional magnesium to produce a meaningful reduction in pancreatic cancer risk.

Researchers found that pancreatic cancer risk increased by 24% for every 100 mg decrease in magnesium intake below the recommended daily allowance (RDA). For example, an individual with a daily magnesium intake of 200 mg has a 24% increased risk of pancreatic cancer compared to a person who ingests 300 mg a day. Both of these intakes (200 mg and 300 mg a day) of magnesium are considered deficient even by government standards.

This study, published in late 2015, evaluated data from the VITamins And Lifestyle (VITAL) trial involving more than 66,000 men and women aged 50-76 years who were followed for an eight-year period. The subjects were divided into the following three groups based upon their magnesium intake:

Optimal Intake - Defined as ingesting greater or equal to 100% of the government RDA for magnesium (420 mg a day for males and 320 mg a day for females)
Sub-optimal Intake - Daily intake of 75% to 99% of the government RDA for magnesium
Deficient Intake - Less than 75% of the government RDA for magnesium (less than 315 mg a day for males and less than 240 mg a day for females)

Those who ingested 75%-99% of the government’s RDA for magnesium (sub-optimal intake) had a 42% greater risk of pancreatic cancer incidence compared with those ingesting greater than or equal to 100% of the magnesium RDA.

Those who ingested less than 75% of the government’s RDA for magnesium (deficient intake) had a striking 76% greater risk of pancreatic cancer incidence compared to those whose intake of magnesium was equal to or greater than the government’s (optimal intake) RDA.

When analyzing those who met or exceeded the government’s RDA for total magnesium intake, only those who took dietary supplements containing magnesium were able to consistently achieve the benefits.

This led the authors to state that to gain the benefit of magnesium at least at the recommended daily allowance (RDA) level, that “dietary magnesium intake alone may not be sufficient.”35

What’s striking about these findings is that the amount of added magnesium needed to meet the government’s RDA was exceedingly small. For most people, taking one magnesium capsule a day, or obtaining it in a scientifically formulated multinutrient formula is all that is needed to produce this robust preventive effect against pancreatic cancer.

This and other studies you’re about to learn about are why we think that magnesium supplementation is destined to become as prevalent as vitamin D is today.

Continued here:
http://www.lifeextension.com/M...xt-Vitamin-D/Page-01

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:

What if he had a bilateral, asymmetric spasm while he was cleaning himself. That would give new meaning to modern art.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
Soma ... or the generic equivalent. Ask your doc for some.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I got a muscle relaxer for bed time. I don't take it during the day and still stay pretty sore but no spasms.

I've been taking vitamins and eating more bananas. I know I need more water. I just don't feel thirsty, but I know from the output that I need more.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post