SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    What is it with the real time sign language for politicians now?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it with the real time sign language for politicians now? Login/Join 
posted
I remember as a kid in the 70's or 80's they would have the sign language interpreter in the corner of the screen for important announcements. Some time 30-40 years ago this stopped, I assume because of real time closed captioning by either fast typists (like court reporters) or possible now by voice transcribing computers.

So why now do politicians suddenly need a real person a few feet away from them doing all the sign language?

Yes, I'm all for making things understandable for people with hearing difficulties, but somehow we got through many other crises using whatever the current technology was.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
When you have no substance to offer, you provide a distraction.

An Organ Grinder on the street, without a monkey, is a nuisance.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand its needed by those who communicate with sign language.
But I find it distracting.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our governor's interpreter is named Virginia. Some days the local talk show radio hosts will play a 30 second clip of Virginia signing. It was funny the first time.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can you even purchase a television today that doesn't have the closed captioning feature?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

This^

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
The real distraction is all the facial gurning the sign language people do. Is that really necessary?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Like most, I'm not opposed to making reasonable accommodations for those physically challenged but, with the tech now available, I see sign language interpreters as one more example of a politician's virtue signaling and wokeness.

In addition to the ever-present sign language interpreter in attendance at his press conferences, our governor is fluent in Spanish and LOVES to take questions from Spanish speaking news reporters so that he can demonstrate his ability to everyone listening...which makes for some really 'informative' press conferences, especially for those of us non-spanish speakers listening to radio coverage for specific info. Roll Eyes

I haven't figured out whether the sign language interpreter signs in Spanish also.

Don't even get me started on the governor's policy of taking remote questions during press conferences, either from phone calls or video conferencing, in which the connection is of such poor quality that the questions are so modulated and muffled, or include background sounds like dogs barking, children crying, or phones ringing as to make the question unintelligible.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

The real distraction is all the facial gurning the sign language people do. Is that really necessary?
It is my understanding that facial expressions (and maybe even body language) are part of the signing communication protocol.

I would not be at all surprised if we have at least one member here who can verify that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

It is my understanding that facial expressions (and maybe even body language) are part of the signing communication protocol.

I would not be at all surprised if we have at least one member here who can verify that.

I took a semester of ASL in college and as I recall, the facial expressions do inform the interpretation of the actual signing.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
But I find it distracting.

Whereas I find it endlessly amusing. The gyrations and facial expressions are a hoot

quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
... I see sign language interpreters as one more example of a politician's virtue signaling and wokeness.

That's precisely what it is.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, it is. I had an admin assistant who worked for me that signed and she told me it is necessary. Also helps to get emotional content across to the signing recipient.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Interesting, thanks.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 19tass:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

This^

+ a lot,

watched some bozo a week or so ago and his sign language person was more of a mime than a signer,

funny , she (?) was

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Karen should demand they provide smoke signals for our native population, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The expressions are a part of the process. I do recall at one point that an imposter stepped into the role. He was something else. Eventually someone who understood ASL outed him as a fraud. The governmental official promised to do better in the future.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
That would be this guy, mind you, he was stood next to a fake President at the time as well:

Sign language interpreter who stood next to Obama at Mandela memorial called a 'fake'

posted Hide Post

Whenever I see someone signing like that I think of this scene from P.C.U. It’s chilling how much it aligns with what is happening right now.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Facial expressions help clarify the intent of the signed message - something might be read as serious, funny, sad, etc. and the face confirms the message.

Sign language is also interesting in that when two are speaking to each other they have to think through what they want to say. Sentences are intentionally abbreviated to the “meat” of what is intended. This is done because if a long sentence were signed it is possible/likely that by the end of the signing the beginning would already be forgotten.
There are few “run on” sentences when signing. Quantity does not make up for quality.
In addition, because facial expression is so important for clear communication, there is clear, continuous eye contact between the people signing. So often people talk but avoid eye contact, this doesn’t happen with signing.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Quote:
Whereas I find it endlessly amusing. The gyrations and facial expressions are a hoot

Ensigmatic, you mean like the brunette that Governor Whitmer uses on occasion? She actually made the Covid-19 press conferences worth watching.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post