SIGforum
What is it with the real time sign language for politicians now?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/5580080174

June 14, 2020, 12:12 PM
DaveL
What is it with the real time sign language for politicians now?
Americans with Disabilities Act.

No, I’m not kidding. The law has evolved over the past few years such that websites and television content are covered so, for example, you can be sued if your website isn’t compatible with screen readers used by visually impaired people. Represented the local sports authority (a government agency) when they were sued for not having closed captioning for the words of songs played during professional football games. No politician wants to get sued for discrimination against disabled people, and they don’t want their words mangled by closed captioning, so we have sign language.
June 14, 2020, 04:27 PM
preten2b
Most every TV these days has a feature in line 21 of the broadcast which has the CC code which is where the info comes from when you enable it.

Mow that TV is no longer just cable or broadcast, that coding may be incompatible with other devices.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
June 14, 2020, 09:40 PM
RAMIUS
Does anyone actually fact check what they’re signing?

For all we know, it could be a cake recipe, Secret orders for Antifa, or just plain bullshit Razz
June 15, 2020, 10:06 AM
preten2b
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Does anyone actually fact check what they’re signing?

For all we know, it could be a cake recipe, Secret orders for Antifa, or just plain bullshit Razz

ASL is usually imprecise. I see quite a lot of improvised phrases rather than the word for word attempted in CC at bottom of screen. CC can also be off during live TV.

(I'll EDIT to explain further)

If a Gov (who I still won't approve of) says "It's vital we stay at home, follow social distancing guidelines....."

I've seen interpreters start with an exaggerated "important" "stay at home", then sign something to the effect "not many people - too close, wrong" while the expressive side shows disapproval. The inflection and signs add to the flow you don't see in the text as you read this.

Quite possible things get a bit lost in the translation when the interpreter gets too far behind, or just misunderstands. How many times do you and coworkers listen to same meeting and think 2 different things for an occasional point during a 30 min meeting?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis
June 15, 2020, 04:16 PM
bald1
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
The real distraction is all the facial gurning the sign language people do. Is that really necessary?

Yes, it is. I had an admin assistant who worked for me that signed and she told me it is necessary. Also helps to get emotional content across to the signing recipient.

What about the bounce dancing? Or is this guy assisting the idiot governor of Washington just in dire need of a pee break? Or maybe St. Vitus Dance disease?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/9SyLjm-53qU

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
June 20, 2020, 05:24 AM
Rotndad
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
The real distraction is all the facial gurning the sign language people do. Is that really necessary?

Yes, it is. I had an admin assistant who worked for me that signed and she told me it is necessary. Also helps to get emotional content across to the signing recipient.

What about the bounce dancing? Or is this guy assisting the idiot governor of Washington just in dire need of a pee break? Or maybe St. Vitus Dance disease?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/9SyLjm-53qU

^^^^ THIS^^^

We have a sign language person locally that looks like they're having a Grand Mal Seizure mixed whith 80's break dancing/pee pee dancing whenever they sign.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
June 23, 2020, 09:42 PM
BB61
ASL can be unclear for a person born with a hearing impairment. Because of the imprecise nature of ASL, it is common to use both an ASL and CDI (Certified Deaf Interpreter) interpreters in court proceedings. By having both interpreters present, it allows the hearing impaired person to question the CDI interpreter who will then question the ASL interpreter. The two interpreters will then converse back and forth in sign language and once the CDI interpreter is satisfied they understand the conversation, they pass the correct translation on to the hearing impaired person. It slows things down a bit, but I can’t think of many things worse than being in court, as a party or defendant, and not really understanding what is happening. With this in mind, I wonder if the interpreters you are seeing are trying to combine the two in some manner.